Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Any Topps Venezuelan experts out there? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174005)

paul 08-12-2013 09:06 PM

Any Topps Venezuelan experts out there?

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this 1959 Spahn on ebay. It was sold to me as a Venezuelan, but I can't tell one way or the other by looking at it. Can any of you let me know how to tell the difference? Thanks.

Paul

Harliduck 08-12-2013 09:32 PM

First off...they printed the first 196 or 198 (Can't remember which) cards in the regular set as Venezuela cards, so this being #40 is good. Some on the back say Printed by Benco (the company that printed the V cards) but some still say Topps. The biggest difference in those cards printed by Topps is the amount of gloss on the front. This makes it hard to tell, especially by an internet scan and not in hand. V cards in this year look very faded on both front and back. I went through a Venezuela card phase, but quickly lost interest due to the difficulty in telling the difference...especially in the 59s where a low grade American card can often pass.

EDIT....

Found this googling it...copy/paste...tough to tell on that Spahn. Looks a little clean to me, but I am no expert...thus me getting out of those type cards.

Benco's version came out in two series, #1-110 and #111-198, matching Topps own #1 to #198 (not 196 as often reported). The card backs include a mix of "(C) T.C.G. PRINTED IN U.S.A." and "Impreso en Venezuela por Benco CA" tag lines, oriented vertically along the right edge. It's tough to discern low-grade American versions from the former; see the Topps Archives article on Venezuelans for distinguishing scans that compare card stock for each.

JollyElm 08-12-2013 09:37 PM

I'm no expert and have seen Topps Venezuelan cards with either the usual 'printed in the USA' verbiage or the Venezuelan wording, so you can't tell solely based on that. If it is real, then it is in exceptional shape, because these cards are usually rife with creases and paper loss on the back from being pasted in albums.

ALR-bishop 08-13-2013 09:31 AM

Spahn

I am no expert on the Venezuelans either. I have a couple of examples I keep with my regular Topps set but got them with the Benco trademark to be sure. Your back is much whiter than the ones on mine, but that maybe something common the the Benco versions

There is a guy, A761506/Josh, who sometimes posts here but who I know better from another board, who is an expert. I think he has this set and maybe all of the Venezuelan sets done. I will ask him to take a look over here.

If it is regular Topps card, it is one of 3 variations. The 59 Topps Spahn can be found with a 1921, 1931 or 193*as the DOB on the back. I do not know if all the Venezuelans have the 1921 DOB but Josh may know

hcv123 08-13-2013 09:37 AM

Josh is the man!

Josh is definitely the guy you want to offer his opinion here. I haven't met anyone who knows more about Venezuelans than him.

a761506 08-13-2013 02:23 PM

You have a US Topps standard issue card

The Spahn card in the '59 Venezuelan set always has the Venezuelan trademark. While some of the cards do have the US trademark, they are consistent throughout, for instance, every Venezuelan copy of Spahn will have the Venezuelan trademark line, while every Ford Frick will have the US trademark. Additionally on Spahn, to address another issue posed, the Venezuelan versions do not have any variations with his year of birth. It is always 21.

Even if you were not aware of the trademark issues, the cards are still easily identifiable just by sight. The majority of 1st series Venezuelan cards (1-110) you might come across will be found with gray backs. You will never find a US Topps card 1-110 with a gray back. Rarely, you can find a '59 Venezuelan card with a cream colored back, but it looks nothing remotely close to the bright cream color of the US issue. It's a much more dull appearance and darker cream color. All cards in the Venezuelan set were issued on both gray and cream colored stock.

There are multiple pictures of these cards available for identification purposes at the Yahoo Group: Topps Venezuela

paul 08-13-2013 06:53 PM

Thank you Josh and everyone. Not what I wanted to hear. I guess I'll be contacting the seller.

Paul

a761506 08-13-2013 07:20 PM

Here's a pic of a Venezuelan Spahn in case you need something additional to convince the seller to refund your purchase.

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaim...0G-Spahn-5.jpg

Cobra Kai 08-20-2013 10:35 AM

Love that Spahn Josh!!

hcv123 09-03-2013 07:07 AM

Looks like it's back up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Topps-V...E:B:SS:US:3160

Will people never learn?

ALR-bishop 09-03-2013 07:50 AM

Spahn

The DOB is different on this one from the one Paul posted

ALR-bishop 09-03-2013 08:28 PM

Spahn

I sent him/ her a note' got response, and the listing was changed

Bestdj777 09-04-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1179752)

I don't think the Venezuelan/Topps confusion is necessary intentional on a lot of these, particularly when the seller is asking $13 for the card. I collect Venezuelans and have contacted a seller or two about an improper listing. Some sellers just do not know what they have. When they go to list the card for sale and start typing in identifying information into the listing, eBay occasionally identifies it as a Venezuelan rather than Topps.

tdawg 10-04-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1180169)
I don't think the Venezuelan/Topps confusion is necessary intentional on a lot of these, particularly when the seller is asking $13 for the card. I collect Venezuelans and have contacted a seller or two about an improper listing. Some sellers just do not know what they have. When they go to list the card for sale and start typing in identifying information into the listing, eBay occasionally identifies it as a Venezuelan rather than Topps.

You mention that you collect Venezuelan Topps... Any dupes? I'm willing to trade/buy...

Let me know...

Bestdj777 10-04-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 1191772)
You mention that you collect Venezuelan Topps... Any dupes? I'm willing to trade/buy...

Let me know...

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any duplicates. Although I collect, I only collect Mantle Venezuelans. If I do ever end up with duplicates, I will let you know though.

1963Topps Set 12-28-2014 07:26 PM

I also love the 1959 Topps Venezuela issue and only buy the Spanish copyright cards to be sure.