Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How Many of You Go to Local Antique, Collectible, Household Goods Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131141)

cbcbcb 12-24-2010 11:45 AM

How Many of You Go to Local Antique, Collectible, Household Goods Auctions

I try to go to local auctions fairly often, but usually I don't find much in the way of vintage baseball memorabilia or cards. Everything is usually overpriced or in poor shape. I still go though as I occasionally get something good. I also go to learn more about other collectibles aside from baseball. Just curious as to how many on this board are regular auction goers.

Leon 12-24-2010 12:08 PM

antique malls

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbcbcb (Post 857478)
I try to go to local auctions fairly often, but usually I don't find much in the way of vintage baseball memorabilia or cards. Everything is usually overpriced or in poor shape. I still go though as I occasionally get something good. I also go to learn more about other collectibles aside from baseball. Just curious as to how many on this board are regular auction goers.

In the Dallas area it's mostly garage sales, which I don't go to, or antique malls, which I do go to. Never find much however, I have seen a few T206's in the last 10-15 yrs. Most were beat up commons for way more than they're really worth. Sometimes folks think "T206 Wagner" is the only baseball card there is for valuations sake. So they are all worth a ton of money regardless of anything that might be accurate.

thetruthisoutthere 12-24-2010 12:16 PM

Garage sales

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 857483)
In the Dallas area it's mostly garage sales, which I don't go to, or antique malls, which I do go to. Never find much however, I have seen a few T206's in the last 10-15 yrs. Most were beat up commons for way more than they're really worth. Sometimes folks think "T206 Wagner" is the only baseball card there is for valuations sake. So they are all worth a ton of money regardless of anything that might be accurate.

I try to hit a few garage sales on Saturday mornings every so often and sometimes run across a few T206 cards, too. Like Leon stated, they are usually beat up old commons and the owner will be asking $200.00 for them. I have yet to meet up with "that find of a lifetime" or "find of the week." But you never know, one day.....

slidekellyslide 12-24-2010 12:32 PM

I go to them as much as I can...aside from finding one or two items per year on ebay that fit my collection it's about the only way I can find Lincoln minor league memorabilia. For the most part people don't realize that these items have any value (Programs, photos, ticket stubs et cetera) or it's stuff they just don't ever want to part with so it goes to their estate sale when they pass away. I'm a regular with most local auction companies..so much so that they actually call me when they have something in an upcoming sale, and if I can't attend they allow me to leave a bid.

Just this past Summer I was able to pick up 9 Game Used bats from the 1950s Lincoln Chiefs club.

As far as cards and memorabilia that don't fit my collection I run across stuff like that occasionally, but I almost always buy it to flip it.

slidekellyslide 12-24-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 857485)
I try to hit a few garage sales on Saturday mornings every so often and sometimes run across a few T206 cards, too. Like Leon stated, they are usually beat up old commons and the owner will be asking $200.00 for them. I have yet to meet up with "that find of a lifetime" or "find of the week." But you never know, one day.....

I think I already had my find of a lifetime at a local estate auction...I picked up a Tris Speaker gamer for $50.

RichardSimon 12-24-2010 12:38 PM

Years ago I used to attend them frequently but could never get anything.
Then one day I saw an ad in a newspaper for an estate auction.
Shocked to see that an Abraham Lincoln signed appointment document was being offered.
Only one other person bid on it.
I got an excellent buy on it.
It is hanging on my living room wall, just like it has for the last 15 years.
Never bought a thing at any of these auctions since but it was worth the effort.

thetruthisoutthere 12-24-2010 12:50 PM

Abraham Lincoln

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 857494)
Years ago I used to attend them frequently but could never get anything.
Then one day I saw an ad in a newspaper for an estate auction.
Shocked to see that an Abraham Lincoln signed appointment document was being offered.
Only one other person bid on it.
I got an excellent buy on it.
It is hanging on my living room wall, just like it has for the last 15 years.
Never bought a thing at any of these auctions since but it was worth the effort.

That's what I call "The find of a lifetime."

mjkm90 12-24-2010 01:52 PM

I hit garage sales a few times a year, but only stop by older homes. I have primarily had luck buying nonbaseball pieces for ebay resale, tools, and things we can use around the house.

Only been to a few estate sales with no luck. I really should start scouting these out more, but the local paper went out of business and I'm not sure how to find them.

Most of my luck over the years has been at antique shops and shows.

Exhibitman 12-24-2010 02:06 PM

I try other collectible shows. I find enough good items to make me come back. In the last year or so I've run across:

--Two W530 'Pinkerton' scorecards
--A Super Bowl XIV ticket
--An old Academy Awards ticket
--A few Jack Dempsey movie-related items, the best of which was a distributor ad for his serial "Dardevil Jack".
--A few dozen oddball boxing items
--Some decent baseball and boxing postcards
--Some nice movie postcards and mail reply cards
--A few very difficult Exhibit cards, including a Jim Thorpe

The way I figure it is (1) I enjoy the browse and (2) if I don't play I won't be on deck when the white whale appears.

slidekellyslide 12-24-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkm90 (Post 857511)
I hit garage sales a few times a year, but only stop by older homes. I have primarily had luck buying nonbaseball pieces for ebay resale, tools, and things we can use around the house.

Only been to a few estate sales with no luck. I really should start scouting these out more, but the local paper went out of business and I'm not sure how to find them.

Most of my luck over the years has been at antique shops and shows.

Mike, look up the local auction companies in your town and give them a call...they probably have websites or mailing lists.