Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How much value is decreased if jersey is washed? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269980)

Deputy289 06-10-2019 03:33 AM

How much value is decreased if jersey is washed?

I purchased an expensive game worn jersey from NFL Auction with a reputable PSA/DNA NFL COA (it states it was game worn and specifies which game). The problem is, the jersey was clearly washed following the game as the turf marks on the numbers are hardly visible to the point of invisibility.

How much value wise does this diminish the jersey?

Samets 06-10-2019 05:20 AM

Did you purchase it directly from NFL Auctions or from someone who purchased it from them?

Did their listing show the turf marks?

I'm personally not a fan of dirty jerseys. They stink, grass stains will not be green for long...

To some it's the only way to go. I collect a lot of vintage and I've never seen off the field jerseys in football until early 2000's...

Mark17 06-10-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samets (Post 1887277)
I'm personally not a fan of dirty jerseys. They stink, grass stains will not be green for long...

Agree, and I might add that I've always thought grass, dirt, body odor might be growing something that you don't want growing in your jersey.

I've got about 16 baseball flannels and they are all clean. Wouldn't want them any other way, because I want them to last forever.

I'm thinking there is, or should be, zero loss in value for all of the above reasons.

Fballguy 06-10-2019 07:06 AM

I'd say zero loss too. You buy because it was worn...which it still was even if it's washed. I don't think sweat, odor, etc add much value.

icollectDCsports 06-10-2019 12:35 PM

Grass and dirt stains -- and other marks from game play -- can increase the desirability and value of an NFL jersey. I have known collectors of NFL jerseys who have made purchase decisions based on such stains. A number of variables in play here. A jersey that can be traced to play in a particular game -- and which may also facilitate photo matching -- may well be more desirable than a clean jersey, maybe not to all but to some, and the additional demand may equate to greater market value.

Collectors' preferences may well vary depending on the sport, but there is one area of collecting where the market's preference is quite clear -- game worn hockey jerseys. Removing stains (blood, stick marks, etc.) definitely removes value there. The more wear the better, and those that can be described as "hammered" or "destroyed" (rare in the current age of many sets of jerseys and better cleaning methods) with such stains, damage, and repairs selling for a premium.

drcy 06-11-2019 10:11 AM

If you bought it straight from the NFL and, presumably, the team washed all the jerseys after the game, that's the way it is, and it shouldn't have an effect. Different than if a collector washed it.

Deputy289 06-11-2019 12:21 PM

Thanks guys! The person I bought it from bought it directly from NFL Auctions. He didn’t wash it and said it never left the plastic after he purchased it. So I assume the team washed it. The minor stains match each other as do the loose thread ends. It’s one of a kind because of the “inaugural stadium” patch on it. It’s the only time the Falcons ever worse the jerseys.

Samets 06-12-2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deputy289 (Post 1887800)
Thanks guys! The person I bought it from bought it directly from NFL Auctions. He didn’t wash it and said it never left the plastic after he purchased it. So I assume the team washed it. The minor stains match each other as do the loose thread ends. It’s one of a kind because of the “inaugural stadium” patch on it. It’s the only time the Falcons ever worse the jerseys.

Have you tried finding the listing on NFL Auctions site? IF it matches that, then obviously it's a team washed jersey. If it doesn't...

Who's the player? We might be able to help.