Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for opinions on Old Judge Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148976)

rainier2004 03-18-2012 11:49 AM

Looking for opinions on Old Judge Auctions

Hello all:

I have never bid with this auction house and was wondering as to other's experiences with them. I know Lew is one of the all-time experts, and yes I love his encyclopedia. Ive had a couple conversations with him, and he seems very pleasant and bent on keeping costs low hence that wonderful 10% b/p which is the lowest I know of. The board, me included, tend to knock auction houses and generally its seems to be claimed "there's problems with all of them"...except I dont recall reading too much about Old Judge. Thanks!

Steven Suckow

Sterling Sports Auctions 03-18-2012 12:12 PM

Lew is a pioneer in the hobby and has ran a nice auction for a long time. My only problem with him is he tends to overembellish his auction description, at times giving false information and not changing after the facts being pointed out to him. If you are looking to bid on a card in his auction I recommend not going by his description and making sure you know what you are bidding on. As far as I know he has never had any problem with payments and shipping.

As far as the BP of 10%, it is very low but Paragon is 0% so he is not quite the lowest.

By the way not all auction houses have had problems.

Good luck in your collection,

Lee

oldjudge 03-18-2012 03:31 PM

Lew is a hobby pioneer. He is completely honest and I wouldn't waste a second worrying about the way his auction is run.

3-2-count 03-18-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 976589)
Lew is a hobby pioneer. He is completely honest and I wouldn't waste a second worrying about the way his auction is run.

Agree 100%.

Jay Wolt 03-18-2012 03:55 PM

Also agree w/ the above, Lew is solid as a rock in this hobby.

bmarlowe1 03-18-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy (Post 976551)
.....not changing after the facts being pointed out to him.....

My experience with Lew on that issue has been otherwise. I agree with the above majority.

rainier2004 03-18-2012 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info fellas...317 views and only 5 opinions?

gnaz01 03-18-2012 07:55 PM

100% a straight up person! I wouldn't even give a second thought bidding with Lew!! As Nike says, "JUST DO IT"!!!!!!!:D

DixieBaseball 03-18-2012 07:57 PM

Lipset Auctions

I concur with Lee and I know Lew is a great guy, but his descriptions are sometimes lacking, as I personally won an item a few years ago, that was different when I received it. (It was not pointed out and was a marginal description at best) I completely concur with Lee on his opinion. With all that being said, I am sure Lew runs a pretty solid auction, and I just think some things get by him.

Jeremy Jo.nes

19cbb 03-18-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 976589)

+1
Receiving his catalogs since 1989

Gradedcardman 03-18-2012 08:23 PM

Legend

A legend in the hobby. I always enjoy his auctions !!

chaddurbin 03-19-2012 10:22 AM

the hobby pioneer stuff beside...i've found him to be curt. like most auction houses some have had a problem with him the past but i've never had any problem in all the years buying and even consigning with lew.

rainier2004 03-19-2012 04:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input as I value your opinions in these matters and am thankful for you guys sharing your experiences...trying to be a tad more selective about whom I do my business with. :cool:

Enjoy the hobby!

egbeachley 03-19-2012 07:57 PM

Bad experiences here. Way overgraded. Don't bid if there isn't a front and back scan of all cards (if in a lot).

Eric

doug.goodman 03-19-2012 09:44 PM

He has always responded quickly to any email questions I have had, and I have never been disappointed with a lot I have won. I have never met the man.

Doug

DJR 03-19-2012 10:05 PM

jcmtiger 03-19-2012 10:34 PM

Lew is a stand up guy, I have known him and have had dealings with him since the 1980's. He is difficult to talk to in person, but still a stand up guy.
never had a problem with him answering emails, phone calls or whatever, even snailmail. He always comes through. He always has additional information about his auctions after they begin, but that's the way it is. If you want nice and sometimes rare items Lew has them in his auctions.

Joe

bobbyw8469 03-20-2012 08:01 AM

I won some considerable lots in his last auction. Some of the cards would not get slabbed due to "alternations". The cards looked fine to me, so I hold the grading companies to the candle on that one more than I do Lew. However, with what happened with some of the last lots I won from them, I would temper my bidding down to a more "risk acceptable" level.....

botn 03-20-2012 09:58 AM

I have never met Lew but have been dealing with him for decades. Without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable and ethical guys in the hobby. He is old school and I mean that in an endearing way. In a hobby full of dishonest people (sellers and buyers) it is reassuring to know he is around. Definitely one of the good guys.

I had a run in with him very early on and figured we would never want to do business with one another again but we moved past it and all has been fine since.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater for those of you who may have had a bad experience with him.

Greg