Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Justin Verlander traded to Astros (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244400)

NewEnglandBaseBallist 09-01-2017 09:14 AM

Justin Verlander traded to Astros

Justin Verlander has been traded from the Detroit Tigers to the Houston Astros. He won't have to worry about safely getting around the flooded streets of his new city, as model girlfriend Kate Upton's ample breasts are federally certified as flotation devices.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/9/...-tigers-astros

KMayUSA6060 09-01-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEnglandBaseBallist (Post 1696744)
Justin Verlander has been traded from the Detroit Tigers to the Houston Astros. He won't have to worry about safely getting around the flooded streets of his new city, as model girlfriend Kate Upton's ample breasts are federally certified as flotation devices.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/9/...-tigers-astros

:cool::cool::cool:

Peter_Spaeth 09-01-2017 06:09 PM

In his late 20s he looked like he was headed for immortality. Now, not so much, although he still has a very respectable record.

bravos4evr 09-02-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1696943)
In his late 20s he looked like he was headed for immortality. Now, not so much, although he still has a very respectable record.

If he plays 3-5 more years I think he's a HOF'er.

Peter_Spaeth 09-02-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1697132)
If he plays 3-5 more years I think he's a HOF'er.

Nick yeah he could still get there but at age 28/29 he was on track for being an all time great type. Now I think his upside, still not terrible of course, is a lower tier HOFer.

packs 09-02-2017 02:59 PM

I feel like Halladay was better than Verlander and I think he may have a hard time getting in.

bravos4evr 09-02-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1697147)
Nick yeah he could still get there but at age 28/29 he was on track for being an all time great type. Now I think his upside, still not terrible of course, is a lower tier HOFer.

Those decline years can really stop a career in it's tracks, but I think he'll do well enough to get in. Especially once he starts hitting strikeout milestones and the like.

Peter_Spaeth 09-02-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1697156)
I feel like Halladay was better than Verlander and I think he may have a hard time getting in.

Now there's a guy who based on my perception of him, I am surprised his stats weren't better when I just looked. Phenomenal winning percentage though, and he quit rather young.

insidethewrapper 09-02-2017 08:01 PM

2 NO-hitters, Rookie of the Year Award, MVP and Cy Young Award Winner. He is currently ranked as the 5th best pitcher in baseball by Bill James (behind Sale, Kluber, Scherzer and Kershaw ). I think he is headed for the HOF unless something drastically happens.

Gnep31 09-03-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1697237)
2 NO-hitters, Rookie of the Year Award, MVP and Cy Young Award Winner. He is currently ranked as the 5th best pitcher in baseball by Bill James (behind Sale, Kluber, Scherzer and Kershaw ). I think he is headed for the HOF unless something drastically happens.

I second this. If not first ballot HOF then shortly there after.

Over the past 10+ yrs there probably isn't a better or more consistent pitcher.

Every time JV takes the mound it is must see TV. (Thanks Rod Allen) He still has no hit stuff and with the new motivation on the Astros I would not be surprised if he gets one or two more no no's.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnep31 (Post 1697316)

Over the past 10+ yrs there probably isn't a better or more consistent pitcher.

I think Clayton Kershaw might dispute this.

JollyElm 09-04-2017 04:05 PM

Take it to be somewhat lighthearted, but I feel the call to the Hall should be moderated for both MLB pitchers and NFL running backs. For everyone who plays fantasy football, you know what I'm talking about. Some guys are just ridiculously talented and run wild for a few years, but the wear and tear always catches up with them, because it is, in fact, a very violent game. Think about the RB's you absolutely coveted in drafts just a couple of years ago. How many of those players were still even on your radar in this year's draft? (Do yourself a favor and look at pre-draft RB rankings at a fantasy site from a few years back. You'll constantly be saying, "Holy cow! I completely forgot about him!!"). It's almost as if the HOF should judge these guys based on something like a 5 year window, because there's always a fresh-legged new guy nipping at their heels every new season and they eventually get replaced.

Where RB's have leg and knee problems, pitchers suffer extreme wear and tear to their arms. Sure, some people can pitch forever (Nolan frickin' Ryan), but most others run out of steam at some point. It would be great if pitchers, dominating pitchers, could somehow be judged on a much smaller timeframe to see how great they truly were in their prime. Everyone loves Sandy Koufax, but he'd probably be looked at somewhat differently if he was able to continue playing and started a precipitous downward decline at some point, you know? All due, extreme, respect to Mr. Koufax.