Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   San Fran vs Phi. The game that was not (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330958)

mrreality68 01-29-2023 04:12 PM

San Fran vs Phi. The game that was not

Wow the Philadelphia defense knocks out both QBs and the game is over.

Amazing that the San Fran could not protect better and amazing the game that was not

BobbyStrawberry 01-29-2023 05:03 PM

Also a ridiculous amount of penalties against what was supposed to be the top defense (SF).

todeen 01-29-2023 06:07 PM

a lot of people rooting for Mr Irrelevant. I was going this would turn into a Kurt Warner type story. disappointing ending

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

mrreality68 01-29-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2309309)
a lot of people rooting for Mr Irrelevant. I was going this would turn into a Kurt Warner type story. disappointing ending

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

It would have been a good story.

I was not rooting for either team. I just wanted a good close competitive game.

Hard to watch a game that was never close.

At least the Cincy vs KC game is close 20-20 at this point

BobbyStrawberry 01-29-2023 08:07 PM

That was the softest unnecessary roughness call I've ever seen in my life.

mrreality68 01-29-2023 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2309340)

Agreed and that is not the way you want a great game like that to end.

Feel. Sorry for that player.

Pat R 01-30-2023 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2309340)

20 years ago maybe in todays game not even close.

Jim65 01-30-2023 06:44 AM

Mahomes was clearly out of bounds and Ossai clearly pushed him. The NFL has made it clear they are going to protect quarterbacks.The fact that its the 4th quarter of a championship game doesn't mean the rules shouldn't apply.

BobbyStrawberry 01-30-2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2309393)
Mahomes was clearly out of bounds and Ossai clearly pushed him. The NFL has made it clear they are going to protect quarterbacks.The fact that its the 4th quarter of a championship game doesn't mean the rules shouldn't apply.

I hear you but I don't know what the defender's even supposed to do in that spot. The push was barely anything, Mahomes previous step was mostly foot in bounds and he was appearing to go forward, and the refs had to know in that spot that that would decide the game. Totally wack IMO.

Jim65 01-30-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2309494)
I hear you but I don't know what the defender's even supposed to do in that spot. The push was barely anything, Mahomes previous step was mostly foot in bounds and he was appearing to go forward, and the refs had to know in that spot that that would decide the game. Totally wack IMO.

I just watched it again and Mahomes was 2 steps out of bounds when he was pushed, the defender has to let up. If it was one official who threw a flag, they can say the official overreacted but there were multiple flags thrown. To me, it was textbook unnecessary roughness.

BobbyStrawberry 01-30-2023 01:12 PM

I watched it again too. I guess he did have a chance to let up, albeit very small. I know they coach this now too.

Generally I just miss the days when the sport was tougher! Same goes for today's NBA where if you touch the offensive player it's a foul.

-Old man yelling at clouds

mrreality68 01-30-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2309508)
I watched it again too. I guess he did have a chance to let up, albeit very small. I know they coach this now too.

Generally I just miss the days when the sport was tougher! Same goes for today's NBA where if you touch the offensive player it's a foul.

-Old man yelling at clouds

It was the correct call even though it sadly directly led to a loss.

However there were several bigger calls and non calls that seemed to favor KC that I had bigger issues with

nolemmings 01-30-2023 01:40 PM

Although I feel for the guy

It was a remarkably boneheaded play. His explanation made little sense either:

"I was trying to push him, maybe get him going backwards because I knew he was going for that sideline. I was trying to make him go backwards, get that clock running".

First, he had to know the sideline was there--Mahomes just ran right by and alongside the bright red-orange first-down marker directly in his line of vision. Second, he never was in a position to push him backwards-- his only push would clearly not come from the front. Add to the fact that Mahomes was not trying to dance for extra yardage or extend the ball and it is clear he had nothing to gain by that shove.

I get the play hard mentality, but IMO that appeared to be a guy completely oblivious to the game situation, despite his later efforts to say otherwise. Still, too bad the game was basically decided by that penalty.

Snapolit1 01-30-2023 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2309389)
20 years ago maybe in todays game not even close.

That is a penalty in 100 of 100 times it happens. Was it intentional or reckless? Maybe not. But wasn't even close. Hit the QB when he is 4-5 feet out of bounds. Feel bad for the Bengals player. Going to be wearing that forever.

Pat R 01-30-2023 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2309529)
That is a penalty in 100 of 100 times it happens. Was it intentional or reckless? Maybe not. But wasn't even close. Hit the QB when he is 4-5 feet out of bounds. Feel bad for the Bengals player. Going to be wearing that forever.

Steve, my response wasn't questioning whether there should have been a penalty or not it was about Mathews claim that it was "the softest unnecessary roughness" call he ever saw. 20 or 30 years ago there might have been a chance of no penalty but not in todays game.

jayshum 01-30-2023 03:57 PM

On the punt return before KCs last drive, it looked like there was at least one and maybe two blocks in the back by KC that weren't called. If I'm a Bengals fan, that would upset me a lot more than the penalty that put them in field goal range. That's getting called in any game these days no matter what the situation.

JollyElm 01-30-2023 04:44 PM

Mahomes was out of bounds so long that he had time to grab a foot-long at Subway before getting hit by that defender. :cool:

Shoeless Moe 01-30-2023 08:31 PM

In hockey it would have been off-setting 'cuz Mahomes flopped(embellished) like a fish.

mrreality68 01-30-2023 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2309554)
On the punt return before KCs last drive, it looked like there was at least one and maybe two blocks in the back by KC that weren't called. If I'm a Bengals fan, that would upset me a lot more than the penalty that put them in field goal range. That's getting called in any game these days no matter what the situation.

+1 agreed these were a few of the non calls that I mentioned earlier
Thanks for outlining them

clydepepper 02-01-2023 11:00 AM

Can you imagine how much fuss there would be if the call had not been made?

In K.C.? (though that shouldn't matter...the refs would have needed a lot of security to get out of there.)