Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The new economic theory.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140522)

ramram 08-14-2011 08:50 PM

The new economic theory....

Let's see, hmmm, it didn't sell last month for $25,000 so therefore, it must now be worth........[in the voice of Dr. Evil] One-Huunnndred Thoooousand Dolllllars!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1867-Baseball-Ga...#ht_2410wt_782

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

barrysloate 08-15-2011 05:02 AM

It's aging like fine wine.

deebro041 08-15-2011 06:06 AM

1st Time Negro Ban

The seller has another ticket trying to sell for 6 figures. Wow what a windfall if somebody took the bait.

GrayGhost 08-15-2011 08:07 AM

Come now, that is one of the most valuable tickets extant. I would give him 100,001 if I had the funds. ;)

Scott Garner 08-15-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 917176)
It's aging like fine wine.

Hmm... Either ticket is more expensive than almost two cases (24 bottles) of 1945 Chateau Lafitte Rothchild (100 out of a possible 100 vintage)!! :rolleyes:

Without being a sourpuss, I would be surprised if the gentleman would receive $1000 for either ticket, although they are very cool. In a big auction maybe he could get some of the big boys to give up some shekles... ;)

slidekellyslide 08-15-2011 01:09 PM

Those tickets would sell for more than $1000 each...obviously they aren't worth $25,000 or someone would have snatched them up at that price the first time they were on ebay..not sure what they'd sell for in a true auction, but it'd be nice to see...nobody wants to run a true auction anymore though.

ScottR81 08-15-2011 02:32 PM

Options

So if you had a $100,000 to blow you could buy this ooooor a really nice 2 seater Mercedes and a top quality hooker to go with it?

Im going with option 2....

I dont care if it was a 2000 year-old ticket to the opening day events at the Roman Coliseum.

mr2686 08-15-2011 03:34 PM

I'm assuming you're only going with 1 top quality hooker because there are only 2 seats in the Mercedes? :D

Scott Garner 08-15-2011 03:47 PM

Ticket prices

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 917320)
Those tickets would sell for more than $1000 each...obviously they aren't worth $25,000 or someone would have snatched them up at that price the first time they were on ebay..not sure what they'd sell for in a true auction, but it'd be nice to see...nobody wants to run a true auction anymore though.

Dan,

You may be right that these tickets would bring more than $1000, but they definately may not on eBay... Without any doubt it would come down to how well the description read, having the right larger auction house (REA, etc.) involved in the promotion, with the right bidders. As you know, it takes two people bashing each over the head to create an auction with large realized values, right? A lot of collectors do not collect tickets, much less baseball tickets from the 1860's. I do believe that this is a small pond we're fishing from. I would be interested in these tickets, but the price would have to be right, from my perspective. :cool:

Here are some examples of very old baseball tickets that I have posted before that I have picked up for less than $150 on eBay. Granted, these are not exactly the same, but their condition is absolutely better than these listed at $100 K each. What would you rather own with the huge discrepancy in price? I know what I would do, IMHO....

Scott Garner 08-15-2011 03:53 PM

True and True

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 917365)
I'm assuming you're only going with 1 top quality hooker because there are only 2 seats in the Mercedes? :D

Mike and Scott,
Both of you are correct. I give Scott style points for his creativity. Mike, don't forget there is a trunk in those 2 seat Benz's! LOL :p

deebro041 08-15-2011 04:12 PM

Scott's tickets

Scott I would definately pick your tickets over the other's. So what would you ask for them?:D

slidekellyslide 08-15-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 917371)
Dan,

You may be right that these tickets would bring more than $1000, but they definately may not on eBay... Without any doubt it would come down to how well the description read, having the right larger auction house (REA, etc.) involved in the promotion, with the right bidders. As you know, it takes two people bashing each over the head to create an auction with large realized values, right? A lot of collectors do not collect tickets, much less baseball tickets from the 1860's. I do believe that this is a small pond we're fishing from. I would be interested in these tickets, but the price would have to be right, from my perspective. :cool:

Here are some examples of very old baseball tickets that I have posted before that I have picked up for less than $150 on eBay. Granted, these are not exactly the same, but their condition is absolutely better than these listed at $100 K each. What would you rather own with the huge discrepancy in price? I know what I would do, IMHO....

Your tickets are cool, but they absolutely do not have the same historical significance as the other two tickets especially the ticket to the National Association convention.

Scott Garner 08-15-2011 05:23 PM

What is the value of the earliest baseball tickets?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 917393)
Your tickets are cool, but they absolutely do not have the same historical significance as the other two tickets especially the ticket to the National Association convention.

Dan,

No offense taken. I absolutely do understand what the historical significance of these tickets is, but how many people do you believe would really pay over $1000 ea for these tickets on eBay? BTW, eBay is the limiting factor in the equation. I would suspect that you could count the number on a single hand.

What do you believe that they would sell for in a large catalog auction?
I have a number in my head, but I was just curious what your thoughts are...

On the topic of top realized prices for older vintage baseball tickets....

What is the most money that has ever been paid for ANY baseball ticket?

I would love to know what price the most valuable baseball ticket ever sold for. We know what the most expensive card is in our hobby, but I'm not sure what the most valuable baseball ticket is....

slidekellyslide 08-15-2011 05:52 PM

They could probably sneak by on ebay, but if he had run a true auction I don't doubt he would have had many offers to "end it now."

As far as most expensive ticket/stub I'd have to guess it's a stub from the 1903 World Series which is in the $6000+ range?

Leon 08-16-2011 10:27 AM

interesting discussion

I think tickets are really neat but, for valuations, it does all come down to the demand side of the equation far more than the supply side. It seems many really rare items should be worth more than they are but they aren't. I find it very often on the card side of the hobby. And it looks as though 25k wasn't enough for the seller on this early ticket. He is asking 100k now.....:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1867-Baseball-Ga...-/200637920020

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200641656743