Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   OT Question about getting the President in person (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156798)

isaac2004 09-20-2012 06:57 AM

OT Question about getting the President in person

Hey All,

President Obama is going to be in Milwaukee this weekend for a grassroots fundraiser. I am going to go, and I really, really, really want to get his signature, from hand, not auto pen. Does anyone have any experience getting autographs from political figures in person that they can give me some advice on?

Thanks!

Big Dave 09-20-2012 08:32 AM

It's always easier after they retire, so hopefully after November you will have a better chance.

murphusa 09-20-2012 08:38 AM

go early and get a spot near the place where he is coming out of the staging area. He won't sign before the speeach but might afterwards. Do NOT take your own pen as the SS will take it away from you.

as he comes near ask, "Mr President would you be so kind"

only problem with waiting till after the election is you will have to wait for a book tour or go to Hawaii

isaac2004 09-20-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1037873)
It's always easier after they retire, so hopefully after November you will have a better chance.

I'm guessing discussing political affiliation is not forbidden on the board :)

isaac2004 09-20-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1037879)
go early and get a spot near the place where he is coming out of the staging area. He won't sign before the speeach but might afterwards. Do NOT take your own pen as the SS will take it away from you.

as he comes near ask, "Mr President would you be so kind"

only problem with waiting till after the election is you will have to wait for a book tour or go to Hawaii

Any good thoughts on medium for a signature? I am thinking a note card is good, but wanted any extra thoughts. Thanks

Exhibitman 09-20-2012 10:57 AM

I'd get one of the Topps cards from 2008 and try to get it signed. Heritage did one that looks like a 1971 Topps baseball card, which would be my choice. Don't get your hopes up, though. I tried to get a political autograph once at a presidential rally and I didn't get within 100 yards of the candidate. The campaign itself has also issued some nice postcard-sized portraits.

As for the political commentary, spare us the gratuitous right wing spew--the vast majority of us are here to talk sports and collecting, not politics. There is enough of that crap outside the hobby.

Big Dave 09-20-2012 11:09 AM

It was a legitimate answer, regardless of your left wing political spew. Unless you are right in front of the stage area, forget about it. Went to see Clinton once. Went early but still didn't get within a hundred yards of him. The area up front is usually reserved for people with better connections as the passes were coordinated for certain areas.

scooter729 09-20-2012 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1037879)

Very true. I attended a small event with Bill Clinton a few months ago. As the speech ended, I approached the front with an 8x10 and a Sharpie, as Clinton shook a few hands. One Secret Service agent came up to me and told me to put my pen away. As I turned to question him, another agent walked over to me and took the picture and asked me my name. I told him, and once Clinton finished shaking a few hands, the agent turned to Clinton and handed him my picture and repeated my name.

Moments later, the SS agent returned to me and handed me back my signed 8x10 shown below!

Best of luck, but as others said, don't get your hopes too high, as the security makes it extremely difficult.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-20-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1037919)
It was a legitimate answer, regardless of your left wing political spew. Unless you are right in front of the stage area, forget about it. Went to see Clinton once. Went early but still didn't get within a hundred yards of him. The area up front is usually reserved for people with better connections as the passes were coordinated for certain areas.

I thought it was funny lol

HOF Auto Rookies 09-20-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1037921)
Very true. I attended a small event with Bill Clinton a few months ago. As the speech ended, I approached the front with an 8x10 and a Sharpie, as Clinton shook a few hands. One Secret Service agent came up to me and told me to put my pen away. As I turned to question him, another agent walked over to me and took the picture and asked me my name. I told him, and once Clinton finished shaking a few hands, the agent turned to Clinton and handed him my picture and repeated my name.

Moments later, the SS agent returned to me and handed me back my signed 8x10 shown below!

Best of luck, but as others said, don't get your hopes too high, as the security makes it extremely difficult.

That's awesome! Neat story, hopefully you can fill out the rest, that would be unreal.

isaac2004 09-20-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1037915)
I'd get one of the Topps cards from 2008 and try to get it signed. Heritage did one that looks like a 1971 Topps baseball card, which would be my choice. Don't get your hopes up, though. I tried to get a political autograph once at a presidential rally and I didn't get within 100 yards of the candidate. The campaign itself has also issued some nice postcard-sized portraits.

As for the political commentary, spare us the gratuitous right wing spew--the vast majority of us are here to talk sports and collecting, not politics. There is enough of that crap outside the hobby.

That would be good, but dont have the time to get a card like that unless I bought something and got it over nighted.

My hopes aren't high, I just see the dude signing at his rallies all the time, so I think its a decent shot if I am more aggressive than other people in getting to the front

isaac2004 09-20-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1037921)

How big was that Clinton event? Seems crazy that an SS would just tell him to sign (though I am guessing he asked politely) Great story!

packs 09-20-2012 01:16 PM

There always seems to be a flood of signed stuff along the campaign trail so I think you at least have a shot. That's better than nothing. If I were you I wouldn't take a baseball with me. Most of the Obama signatures are with a black sharpie and it looks terrible on a baseball.

I have a signed copy of his book Audacity of Hope. I bet you could pick up one of his books just about anywhere.

isaac2004 09-20-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1037946)
There always seems to be a flood of signed stuff along the campaign trail so I think you at least have a shot. That's better than nothing. If I were you I wouldn't take a baseball with me. Most of the Obama signatures are with a black sharpie and it looks terrible on a baseball.

I have a signed copy of his book Audacity of Hope. I bet you could pick up one of his books just about anywhere.

My fiance has one and we were planning on bringing it. If the oppurtunity comes up, I would like to get another item signed, but the book is option 1

isaac2004 09-22-2012 07:16 PM

Thought I would give an update on this. Obama had a rally today so I brought a stock photo from the White House website. After the speech, I got up to the front and carefully took out the photo. Secret Service immediately yelled at me to put it away, which they then did to other people with books and stuff, so no chance of getting it. Sad day.

But on a positive note, my fiancé shook his hand and is now the happiest person on Earth. So a win for the day

cubsfan-budman 09-24-2012 01:28 PM

nice! i was checking back for an update. bummer on the autograph though.

scmavl 09-25-2012 08:13 AM

Cool story, bummer on the auto. I tried to get Al Gore in '96 and the closest I got was shaking Tipper's hand.

drc 09-25-2012 10:35 AM

I am not conservative and chuckled at the initial political comment. I took it on its humor level.

isaac2004 09-25-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 1039233)
Cool story, bummer on the auto. I tried to get Al Gore in '96 and the closest I got was shaking Tipper's hand.

not too shabby

Sean1125 09-26-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac2004 (Post 1037890)
Any good thoughts on medium for a signature? I am thinking a note card is good, but wanted any extra thoughts. Thanks

I would think a baseball or one of his Topps cards would be interesting.

Edit: No success... I'm sorry :/