Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Norwegian Black Metal (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=188338)

smrtn240 05-22-2014 06:35 PM

Norwegian Black Metal

I personally think this genre of "music" is disusting and evil. How can people feel good about themselves being fans of this, it suggests self mutilation, suicide, and murder, oh, and satanism... and some parents just laugh and turn their heads the other way.. wow
Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject and explain to me a difference of opinion

drcy 05-22-2014 10:12 PM

Curious topic.

There are some extreme metal bands I like sonically-- Sunn 0))), Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion is a great bombastic everything but the kitchen sink Monty Python mad genius album (I mean, how many metal bands came with its own timpani, horn section and opera singers?), Electric Wizard, Earth. I'm centric to experimental sounds and generally don't listen to the words. I'm sure Electric Wizard would say their satanic lyrics are just a schick, and I have no doubt a lot of their lyrics are stupid. Most of Sunn 0)))'s music is instrumental-- it's an avant garde sounds band. A friend of mine said she didn't think Sunn 0))) counted as music.

I don't like death metal, 80% because I can't stand distorted vocals. Hate electronically distorted vocals in top 40 hip hop music and in death metal and in the Chipmunks' Christmas Carols. A Rolling Stone critic once famously called a metal band's sounding like 'the cookie monster throwing up.' I couldn't have worded it better. So, no, I don't give a thumbs up to Norwegian Black Metal from what I've heard. I find it hard to take seriously any Satanism in music and think most of the time it's a stage act. I take it no more seriously than the Vampiricism in the Twilight Series and Vampire Diaries. If a band is being serious about it, I wouldn't call it evil but stupid.

Actually, a lot of old blues songs are about the singer's relationship and struggles with the Devil. Robert Johnson is the quintessential example. The story of Johnson having sold his soul for his guitar playing skills is a part of his legend, and his lyrics are dark and haunting.

Youtube: Robert Johnson "Me and the Devil Blues" (1937)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-23-2014 09:49 AM

Robert Johnson is one of my all-time favorites.

packs 05-23-2014 10:32 AM

I think you might be taking things too literally. It's a performance genre, so there is a heavy performance element to it. Look at some Gwar videos for references.

Some of these bands are tongue in cheek, like Gwar for example. Others are just perpetuating an image that is supposed to be "scary." These bands produce high energy music for high energy people. I don't think a lot of people who listen to them are even interested in the lyrics as much as they are the mood and music.

drcy 05-23-2014 02:37 PM

double post

drcy 05-23-2014 02:53 PM

Sunn 0))) and their unique musical world. The second is an example of drone metal and is music completely different than most people have ever heard. Someone said they are the least radio friendly band ever, and the second song will tell you why. No offensive lyrics I assure you, just sound.

Sunn O))) - megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

Sunn 0))) - Dylan Carlson

I am a fan of Sunn 0))), but, for the record, I have season's tickets to the Seattle Symphony and like the Beatles too. Just says I have a wide musical palette.

DaClyde 05-23-2014 04:47 PM

The Insane Clown Posse had a great line in, I think it was "The Dirt Ball", something to the effect of "people love horror movies, but you can't be scary on a CD" in response to all the hypocritical backlash against violent lyrics in a song from a group that is clearly performing in character. Insert the entire 1980s right-wing, pseudo-Christian crusade against nearly every popular music act on the planet.

If it's in a movie or book, it's "just a story". If it's set to music, clearly it is direct instruction to the brain to perform the acts described therein.

drcy 05-23-2014 06:00 PM

Dead Kennedys continually got into trouble with people who didn't realize they were being sarcastic and satiric. Though they were were happy to offend those easily offended.

Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor (1980)

steve B 05-23-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaClyde (Post 1279806)
The Insane Clown Posse had a great line in, I think it was "The Dirt Ball", something to the effect of "people love horror movies, but you can't be scary on a CD" in response to all the hypocritical backlash against violent lyrics in a song from a group that is clearly performing in character. Insert the entire 1980s right-wing, pseudo-Christian crusade against nearly every popular music act on the planet.

If it's in a movie or book, it's "just a story". If it's set to music, clearly it is direct instruction to the brain to perform the acts described therein.

Tipper Gore is right wing?!?

I musta missed something.

Steve B

DaClyde 05-24-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1279905)
Tipper Gore is right wing?!?

I musta missed something.

Steve B

People are complicated.

wolfdogg 05-25-2014 03:02 PM

All I have to say is........DIMMU BORGIR!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLhiQ...yer_detailpage

wolfdogg 05-25-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1279642)
I think you might be taking things too literally. It's a performance genre, so there is a heavy performance element to it. Look at some Gwar videos for references.

Some of these bands are tongue in cheek, like Gwar for example. Others are just perpetuating an image that is supposed to be "scary." These bands produce high energy music for high energy people. I don't think a lot of people who listen to them are even interested in the lyrics as much as they are the mood and music.

+1

smrtn240 06-19-2014 04:03 PM

I wasn't talking about bands like GWAR or ICP, I meant Norwegian bands like Mayhem and such, who sacrifice animals on stage, use barbwire to cut themselves on stage, openly use drugs during concerts, and burn down churches in their own time. I just dont get it