Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Should Alabama Be Disqualified from the CFP ....... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247700)

edjs 11-18-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1721483)
The little schools come begging for this as they might make more $$$ in one game against a powerhouse than they will the entire rest of the season combined.

This is what I was going to say. It is a big boon to the small school, and they couldn't do this at the home of the small school, they probably don't have the resources to host a game like this. My college's football stadium wasn't much different than my high school's.

steve B 11-18-2017 05:14 PM

Yep, that's what it really is, a nice "present" to the smaller school. Both to the program financially, and in some ways to the players. The players from the small school get to maybe play against some really top talent, and that's usually a cool experience.

I think a certain number of games like that should be required for all the upper division schools.

Dad didn't play football, but ran track. He qualified for a major meet that included some world class runners. In at least some of the heats the barely qualifying runners raced against the world class runners. Except there was a handicap for the better runners. He said it was amazing, and he ran his best time trying to not get overtaken despite the handicap.

1952boyntoncollector 11-18-2017 05:57 PM

Bama plays in SEC and plays the SEC championship..

every team guns for them and gives them their best.....playing mercer is fine given their whole schedule..

clydepepper 11-18-2017 06:12 PM

Final Score (and nobody cares):

Florida State 77
Delaware State 6

(if their quarterback had not gotten hurt against Alabama and the team had stayed in contention throughout the season, just imagine how many folks would care about THIS cupcake game.)

Runscott 11-19-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1721483)
The little schools come begging for this as they might make more $$$ in one game against a powerhouse than they will the entire rest of the season combined.

Yes, multiple reasons for playing these games, and no reason not to other than non-Alabama fan anger.

nolemmings 11-19-2017 03:25 PM

never mind

frankbmd 11-19-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1721786)
Yes, multiple reasons for playing these games, and no reason not to other than non-Alabama fan anger.

Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?

Orioles1954 11-20-2017 09:18 AM

Not a big issue. It used to be that cupcakes were player during the first two weeks of a season. Several schools are now scheduling them toward the end to rest players. I think it's smart and not a big deal. Alabama's current strength of schedule is 22 and will raise once they play Auburn and in the SEC Title game.

Runscott 11-20-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1721901)
Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?

Your straw man logic is certainly weird, but par for the internet.

I agree with your second sentence; however, you used Alabama as your example and that's what I responded to. A final-4 contender scheduling a cupcake right before the tough stretch at the end of the season is very different from a non-contender scheduling cupcakes at the beginning of the season. Also, scheduling such games at the beginning of the season can hurt a team's rankings, as I'm sure you know.

I understand the appeal of using a straw man when someone disagrees with you, but I probably agree with your thoughts on how teams use these games early in the season. If you want more back-patting, express your outrage over teams like Wisconsin complaining about being undefeated and ranked fifth, while scheduling cupcake games early in their schedule.

Runscott 11-20-2017 10:32 AM

Frank, I wanted to add that I would probably be considered an 'Alabama hater' - I root against them every game, even when it would help my own team out. I can't help it. I also hate the weeks when there is no good football to watch because of all the cupcake games. I really wish they wouldn't schedule such games.

As a college student, I hated the home games where we played these terrible teams; however, our school tradition dictated that we kiss our date after each score, so it all worked out.