Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Active PSA Scam on eBay- Fake Jordans, Mantles and possibly Cobbs, Youngs, Mays (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224092)

hunky-dory 06-17-2016 08:21 AM

Active PSA Scam on eBay- Fake Jordans, Mantles and possibly Cobbs, Youngs, Mays

12 Attachment(s)
eBay member "flavoroutlet" approached me through eBay and asked if I was interested in trading a PSA 9 Fleer Jordan rookie for an SGC 55 1933 Goudey Ruth. He sent me high res scans (see attached) and as the latest auction prices for these cards are very similar, I said I was interested. I received the card and it looked completely fine and I immediately sold it for ~$6K.

The scammer then proceeded to try to sell me two more Jordan PSA 9's, which made me suspicious. I searched eBay listings and found a recently sold Jordan with the same certification number as the one I sold. I relayed this information to the buyer of the Jordan and am refunding his money. The scammer was also in the process of trying to sell a PSA 10 Jordan to him for $25K!

I actually spoke with the scammer and he admitted that the Jordan is fake. He claims that he is given these counterfeit cards (see other attached pics) and commissioned to scam people through eBay. He also told me he has done this numerous times and even sold a PSA 10 for $18K!!

What is even more concerning is that during this whole debacle, I called PSA to inform them of what was going on and they seemed only minimally concerned. They asked that I just send them some pics and they would get back to me...which was four days ago. I no longer trust PSA on high value cards and will be favoring SGC in the future. Please let me know if you have any questions.

irv 06-17-2016 09:39 AM

I have noticed a lot of 52 Topps Mantles for sale lately, which I find odd, but I never noticed/paid attention to the sellers name.

These guys are going to ruin the hobby, it's only a matter of time! :mad:

murphy8276 06-21-2016 09:35 AM

post the scammers username please

stargell1 06-21-2016 12:31 PM

Wow, it didn't take long for people to figure out how to fake the new PSA slabs. I better check out mine to make sure they arnt fake.

gomaz 06-24-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargell1 (Post 1553405)
Wow, it didn't take long for people to figure out how to fake the new PSA slabs. I better check out mine to make sure they arnt fake.

How can you tell?

djsatu 06-25-2016 05:21 PM

Seriously man, how many threads are you going to start on here saying the same things? Your story doesn't add up, and you have unanswered questions on your first thread regarding this!

smallpaul2002 07-03-2016 08:38 AM

I find it hard to believe there are counterfeit PSA graded cards out there. As a multi billion dollar corporation with their own interest and reputation to protect I find it hard to believe that the company would sit on the sidelines and allow this to happen. At this point I'm sceptical of your post.

You make it sound like PSA is a couple of guys sitting in their basement spewing out slabbed graded cards with absolutely no regard to security or the integrity of the product they sell. With PSA being a publicly traded company, I find your post to be highly unlikely to occur. But if thats what you think, then I would contact PSA and have them investigate as their has been an obvious security breach.

bnorth 07-03-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 (Post 1557562)
I find it hard to believe there are counterfeit PSA graded cards out there. As a multi billion dollar corporation with their own interest and reputation to protect I find it hard to believe that the company would sit on the sidelines and allow this to happen. At this point I'm sceptical of your post.

You make it sound like PSA is a couple of guys sitting in their basement spewing out slabbed graded cards with absolutely no regard to security or the integrity of the product they sell. With PSA being a publicly traded company, I find your post to be highly unlikely to occur. But if thats what you think, then I would contact PSA and have them investigate as their has been an obvious security breach.

Great post. I agree 100% PSA is by far the best thing to ever happen to this hobby. I would also like to add they PSA has never made a mistake and IF you think they have YOU are wrong.

LOL, Ok back to the real world now.;)

wilkiebaby11 07-03-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsatu (Post 1554838)
Seriously man, how many threads are you going to start on here saying the same things? Your story doesn't add up, and you have unanswered questions on your first thread regarding this!

+1

JustinD 07-04-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 (Post 1557562)

With that statement, I am wondering how many counterfeits in reseals you own. Never put your faith 100 percent in a plastic case.

smallpaul2002 07-06-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1558021)
With that statement, I am wondering how many counterfeits in reseals you own. Never put your faith 100 percent in a plastic case.

I have more faith in the cards I own, rather than any cards that are not professionally graded (By a legitimate company)..If you collect ungraded cards do so at your own peril.

reversek 07-15-2016 07:01 PM

Also goes by goatcollector and gemmint123

2 Attachment(s)
This guy's "name" is Carlos Topete. He lives in San Diego. Luckily I reached out to people more knowledgeable than I am and was able to thwart losing $25k of cards. I thought the color was off because it was faded and that's what resulted in the 3.5 grade. With Centering being slightly off and sharp corners it made sense until someone pointed out the shadow of the PSA hologram being indicative of someone gluing it on.

stargell1 07-20-2016 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reversek (Post 1562168)
This guy's "name" is Carlos Topete. He lives in San Diego. Luckily I reached out to people more knowledgeable than I am and was able to thwart losing $25k of cards. I thought the color was off because it was faded and that's what resulted in the 3.5 grade. With Centering being slightly off and sharp corners it made sense until someone pointed out the shadow of the PSA hologram being indicative of someone gluing it on.

Are these real PSA slabs?

callou2131 08-02-2016 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just adding to it...From another site. Anyone notice the difference? Same number, different case, different card, Notice on the flat laying card it has a hologram on the case, plus one cardhas a PD on the left lower blue.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-02-2016 09:01 PM

well it could be that the owner wanted to get a new hologram holder. A reholder keeps the same #. Not seeing the PD you are mentioning.

Gobucsmagic74 08-03-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1567953)
well it could be that the owner wanted to get a new hologram holder. A reholder keeps the same #. Not seeing the PD you are mentioning.

I do see a small print defect in the blue section on the right side of card #1 (on the left) which I do not see on the card #2 on the right

callou2131 08-03-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1568095)
I do see a small print defect in the blue section on the right side of card #1 (on the left) which I do not see on the card #2 on the right

Thats what I meant, just said the wrong side. Someone is attempting to trade this card to someone right now. Luckily the person now knows it is a Fake.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-03-2016 09:02 PM

Card is in a slab, in a bag (what idiot leaves a $30,000 card in a bag when photographing it for sales purposes?) so I have no way of knowing if the blurry white dot to which you are referring is actually on the card.

callou2131 08-04-2016 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1568231)
Card is in a slab, in a bag (what idiot leaves a $30,000 card in a bag when photographing it for sales purposes?) so I have no way of knowing if the blurry white dot to which you are referring is actually on the card.

The kind that knows it isnt a $30,000 card but a forgery. Also one case has the hologram one doesnt. Two entirely different pieces. The letters are spaced differently as well. Plus the picture of the one without the hologram is the one sent 3 days ago, and the picture of the one with the holo is an older picture. So the question is, which one is real, which one is fake? Or are they both fake? Here is a pick of the lettering. The top One is of the psa10 with the dark background. The bottom is of a BGS card. The PSA 10 with the dark background is 100% fake.

Travelpro07 08-12-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphy8276 (Post 1553330)
post the scammers username please

He tried to get me too... Here is his info:

User ID Effective Date End Date
cardexpert80 Jul-25-16 Present
gemmintsports123 Jun-19-16 Jul-25-16
flavoroutlet Sep-09-12 Jun-19-16
itvisions Jul-15-12 Sep-09-12
autowizardry Sep-19-02 Jul-15-12

Travelpro07 08-12-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reversek (Post 1562168)

Yup - tried the exact some scam here. Collectors really need to pay attention to this guy. He likes to keep it around $25k worth of cards.... and he said he trades (does this) all the time. I was all for it when he wanted to mail me two Jordan's PSA's (overnighted) in good faith. If it's to good to be true then it is.

cardnvstr01 08-19-2018 04:56 PM

Looking for some help

Hey friends -- looking for a little help here. Unfortunately, I've recently been in contact with the fraudster described here earlier. I didn't do enough homework in time, and let my optimistic nature get the better of me.

But he is still out there peddling extremely well done counterfeit PSA items, and I'm trying to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

If anyone can remember any details, or has any old texts/emails from interactions with this scammer - please PM me directly. His ebay handle has been changed again recently now to sufferman11515. If you have any contact with him, please let this board (and me) know asap. thanks!

Peter_Spaeth 08-19-2018 06:58 PM

Those variation B 52Ts don't seem to have the missing pixel?

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 08-20-2018 06:28 AM

Most of those cards require 3 seconds to confirm they're bogus. Is it the slab or the possible great deal that blinds people?

Arthur

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 08-20-2018 06:29 AM

And sorry this happened to you, William. There's no excuse for scammers and thieves. I hope they get nailed to a wall.

Arthur