Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   interesting Cobb Ruth (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252207)

theshleps 03-06-2018 04:48 PM

interesting Cobb Ruth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-T...sAAOSwOt9andGS
I am skeptical

bnorth 03-06-2018 05:00 PM

I love SGC for grading cards, feel the exact opposite about their autograph side.

thenavarro 03-06-2018 11:13 PM

That item has sold previously I THINK (if my memory serves me correctly) through both rrauction.com and ha.com (Heritage)

thenavarro 03-06-2018 11:19 PM

$4145.40 through rrauction with a full PSA/DNA Loa

https://www.rrauction.com/PastAuctionItem/3368597

And $4,800 through Heritage

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

Stampsfan 03-07-2018 01:19 AM

I'm no expert, but both seem rather "cringe worthy".

Bpm0014 03-07-2018 06:54 AM

The Ruth is good actually. Just a super-duper rushed version that (even though it's dark) probably wasn't signed while sitting down, nor on a flat surface, nor in the best conditions, etc. But it's good. I know nothing about Cobb though...

Kco 03-07-2018 07:47 AM

Cobb is ok as well, it’s not a pretty example by any stretch of the imagination, but the signatures are both Genuine

T206Collector 03-07-2018 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Neat item. Here's more info on the event:

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2014/06...challenge.html

canjond 03-07-2018 08:38 AM

I wonder why there is no mention of the PSA letter. The HA auction lists both the PSA and SGC letters, and the original RR lists the PSA letter. Did Probstein just not mention it?

David Atkatz 03-07-2018 11:00 AM

Brendan and Kevin are quite correct. Both signatures are good.

thenavarro 03-07-2018 11:36 AM

I tried to buy it both times before but unfortunately deeper pockets prevailed.

theshleps 03-07-2018 11:43 AM

Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
2) person is fed up with the hobby and liquidating
3) person sees another item they want more and has to sell to raise the $
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.

thenavarro 03-07-2018 12:01 PM

I think it's primarily because of addiction and compulsion. Many people, and a self indictment here on occasion as well, like the "action" and "chase" just as much if not more than the actual item. Then, if you don't have deep pockets, an easy way to get that "fix" is to sell and "chase" something else.

Kinda like dating in that there is a lot of fun in the chase but once you get the "prize" it kind of gets old lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1755067)
Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.

Runscott 03-07-2018 12:29 PM

Good education from the Cobb/Ruth autograph experts. I would never have touched this piece.

Mr. Zipper 03-07-2018 12:30 PM

Agree with Mike...

More and more collectors are "renters." The "buy and hold" collectors are going the way of the Dodo... just like "completist" collectors.

You may not see it here because this tends to be a more seasoned collecting crowd. But it's very evident in Facebook groups and some other chat boards.

Shoot the works to get a nice shiny toy... show it off on a chat group... get the "ohhs and ahhhs and kudos"... sell it the next year to get another shiny new toy. Rinse and repeat...

Runscott 03-07-2018 12:41 PM

It makes sense that people would treat their purchases that way on Facebook, as it would be similar to how their 'bits of wisdom' are proudly displayed. Personally, I think our collectible pieces, as well as our 'bits of wisdom' are far superior to what you find on the rest of the internet.

theshleps 03-07-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1755105)
Agree with Mike...

More and more collectors are "renters." The "buy and hold" collectors are going the way of the Dodo... just like "completist" collectors.

You may not see it here because this tends to be a more seasoned collecting crowd. But it's very evident in Facebook groups and some other chat boards.

Shoot the works to get a nice shiny toy... show it off on a chat group... get the "ohhs and ahhhs and kudos"... sell it the next year to get another shiny new toy. Rinse and repeat...

Wow- that mindset is so foreign to me it is hard to relate but I do not doubt that it may happen frequently. I do have problems though with folks that outbid me and the next week I see it on ebay as a BIN at twice the price

T206Collector 03-07-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1755159)
Wow- that mindset is so foreign to me it is hard to relate but I do not doubt that it may happen frequently. I do have problems though with folks that outbid me and the next week I see it on ebay as a BIN at twice the price

That drives me nuts, too. Everyone is entitled to a profit, but it’s like trying to buy concert tickets only to be shut out and then having to pay twice as much on Stubhub from people who never intended to go to the concert anyway. But flipping is big business.

w7imel 03-07-2018 11:40 PM

why collectors differ in approach

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1755067)
Would love others input.

I am like you and Scott, I know what I collect and buy maybe 1 expensive item a year and a few more middle of the line or cheap items I also hate to sell anything. I will admit I do love the research and "chase" part of the hobby, always looking for the bigger and better item for a cheaper price...haha. I have tried to always include my wife and kids in the hobby and collecting as I hope I can pass these items to them for further safe keeping.
The ruth check I bought a few years ago I researched and saw it in like 5 or 6 different action houses that I could find over the few years before I bought it, so I agree maybe some buy enjoy for a while then move on. Me I have always bought displayed for a while then tucked away in a safe deposit box and slept well knowing they were there and visit collection every now and then.

SCOTT: You will be happy to know your Cobb letter is still safe and sound in my "Man Cave" under low lighting at all times!!!:D:D

Runscott 03-08-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1755366)
SCOTT: You will be happy to know your Cobb letter is still safe and sound in my "Man Cave" under low lighting at all times!!!:D:D

That is a great letter - if I had it now it would not be sold.

Kco 03-08-2018 08:39 AM

I’m of the buy and keep mindset MOST of the time. As my means aren’t unlimited, and I have a wide collection focus, it always keeps me hunting. Now as for the buy and flip, I have absolutely sold items off to either upgrade or finance another bigger or better piece. For example, I sold a Ruth Cut, Jordan Jersey, Mantle HOF inscribed ball and a Cy Young auto to upgrade to a Babe Ruth single signed baseball. There would be no other way for me to do that otherwise.

I also have several pieces that I will never sell that will stay with me forever.

Stampsfan 03-08-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1755104)
Good education from the Cobb/Ruth autograph experts. I would never have touched this piece.

+1

jgmp123 03-09-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1755373)
That is a great letter - if I had it now it would not be sold.

Funny...I bought a Cobb letter from Scott a few years back...how many of those are you going to let run through your fingers? :)

Btw, I still thank you and I still love it!

Runscott 03-09-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1755921)
Funny...I bought a Cobb letter from Scott a few years back...how many of those are you going to let run through your fingers? :)

They were both nice but I think yours is actually the one I was thinking of.

I have owned so many great hand-written letters, but could only afford to keep a few at a time. I am getting ready to put a bunch of non-baseball ones on my website that are some of my favorites: Leroy Neiman to Hugh Hefner, talking about Paris in 1961, two Civil War letters from soldiers at Vicksburg, one from a California goldminer. Handwritren letters are my main collecting passion.

w7imel 03-10-2018 03:57 PM

my Cobb letter from 1917

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the one you always liked Scott. 1917

w7imel 03-10-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1755921)

Care to post a picture of your letter?

jgmp123 03-10-2018 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1756173)
Care to post a picture of your letter?

I’ve since framed it, but here you go....

Runscott 03-10-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1756172)
Here is the one you always liked Scott. 1917

I never owned that one.

Runscott 03-10-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1756200)
I’ve since framed it, but here you go....

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of that I would probably keep if I had it now. But that's true of many, many collectibles I have had - you sell one to buy another.

Runscott 03-14-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenavarro (Post 1754907)
$4145.40 through rrauction with a full PSA/DNA Loa

https://www.rrauction.com/PastAuctionItem/3368597

And $4,800 through Heritage

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

and now, $4,938 via ebay so the seller lost a little after fees.