Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Encapsulating autographs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252312)

Runscott 03-09-2018 12:55 PM

Encapsulating autographs

Is this now a requirement among collectors? I would have thought that loose checks with LOA's would be preferable, as they can be matted and framed, but the evidence on a check I'm trying to sell says otherwise.

Baseball Fan 03-09-2018 01:59 PM

For me personally, I prefer to have them encapsulated. But by no means do they have to be in order for me to buy one.

packs 03-09-2018 02:19 PM

I prefer slabbed too. If you frame the check that's more or less serving the same purpose of the slab. But not everyone likes to display their items.

parker1b2 03-09-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1755780)
Is this now a requirement among collectors? I would have thought that loose checks with LOA's would be preferable, as they can be matted and framed, but the evidence on a check I'm trying to sell says otherwise.

I don't like items slabbed, really do not like the way they display. Checks and cuts I preferred framed. I have bout a few slabbed autographed cards over the years that I have broken out of the slab.

RichardSimon 03-09-2018 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I prefer no slab.

tazdmb 03-09-2018 03:28 PM

Rich always loves showing that off whenever he gets the chance.

I find that the uneducated collector (IE-Never on these boards) gets a piece of mind that comes with having a slabbed check. Plus, there is a value of not having to pay for the slabbing if they ever want to flip in the future.

Runscott 03-09-2018 04:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I definitely prefer 'no slab' for any item other than some cards; however, I realize that collecting preferences have passed me by, just like technology.

Scott <== doesn't even know how to tweet

Sophiedog 03-09-2018 05:23 PM

I've never sent anything in to be authenticated but with a nice item like your Cobb check it may be beneficial; especially if it gets a high grade. It's got a lot going for it. The sig looks great with no bank stampings across it and its done in Cobb's Green ink. A guy had a "9" on ebay for 2995.00 and accepted an offer and it sold. It's a beauty but yours doesn't seem far off...unfortunately the slab means everything these days and with a high numerical grade the sky's the limit.

packs 03-09-2018 05:34 PM

Slabbing would make it easier to handle too. Like I said, not everyone is interested in displaying something. If you're going to put a check into some kind of other protective case, why not slab it? Especially if you're going to have it authenticated anyway.

Lordstan 03-09-2018 06:08 PM

double post sorry