Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Cardboard Magazine Ceases Production (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252858)

insidethewrapper 03-22-2018 10:54 AM

Old Cardboard Magazine Ceases Production

It appears that " Old Cardboard Magazine has Ceased Production" . Issue # 34 was their last one for the time being. I hope they produce more in the future. I sent them $20 for a lifetime subscription in October.

Leon 03-22-2018 11:13 AM

Lyman told me a few days ago, on a phone conversation, that they might do more mags in the future. Beyond that I have emailed him concerning this thread in hopes he will make a comment. Lyman (hey Lyman) and Brett, the Oldcardboard team, are very fair folks so I am sure they will make things right concerning subscriptions.

Exhibitman 03-22-2018 11:14 AM

The lifetime in question was a mosquito's.

frankbmd 03-22-2018 11:19 AM

I’m one of their “lifers” as well, but wish Lyman and Brett well.;)

I’ll just go back to #1 and start over.:D

BeanTown 03-22-2018 11:28 AM

Lyman and Bret both great guys, Like Father, like Son! Hope they always have the Texas Chile cook off and never stop playing Texas Holdem!

insidethewrapper 03-22-2018 12:14 PM

I agree both Lyman and Brett are great guys and I visit the web site often. Good luck in the future.

joshuanip 03-22-2018 12:53 PM

Ok, I just paid $20 for a lifetime subscription in early February!?

Darn it, those were nice looking magazines.

Bicem 03-22-2018 01:47 PM

Great magazine and even better people. Hopefully they continue even if it's in an online capacity.

Order the run of back issues, well worth it!

fduran27 03-22-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuanip (Post 1759951)
Ok, I just paid $20 for a lifetime subscription in early February!?

Darn it, those were nice looking magazines.

me too - GRRRR

lhardem 03-22-2018 01:59 PM

Changes at Old Cardboard

Thanks for all the positive comments and support. Adam, we love you too!

Yes, we announced to our subscribers yesterday in the Old Cardboard eNewsletter that we are suspending, at least for now, the print magazine. This was primarily the result of a hard drive failure on my computer and Brett taking on other projects. While we hope to continue with additional issues of the magazine in the future, none are scheduled for now.

Magazine subscriptions, including lifetime subscriptions (which were offered for only $20), have always started with the then current issue. We sell single copies on the website for $10 so you are half way there when you sign up for your "lifetime" subscription. Any/all future issues of the magazine will be distributed to lifetime subscribers free of charge; all other magazines including back issues will be offered at the single copy price of $10. We no longer offer lifetime subscriptions. If anyone who recently purchased a lifetime subscription would like a refund, please email me at editor@oldcardboard.com and it will be immediately refunded.

As we also stated in the eNewsletter (eNews Issue #165), we will continue to distribute the eNewsletter free of charge, now on a quarterly basis, during the last month of each calendar quarter (i.e., March, June, September and December). We will also continue to maintain and expand the already massive and very popular Old Cardboard website.

As always, we sincerely appreciate the continued support of our authors, readers and sponsors. We hope that you continue to find Old Cardboard an indispensable resource for information focused exclusively on vintage baseball cards and memorabilia.

Happy Collecting,
Lyman and Brett Hardeman

PS: If you are not already signed up for the free OC eNewsletter, please send an email to editor@oldcardboard.com and we will be happy to add you to our distribution.

joshuanip 03-22-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1759969)
Great magazine and even better people. Hopefully they continue even if it's in an online capacity.

Order the run of back issues, well worth it!

I would pay again, haha, for a monthly online subscription of their past magazines and anything they publish. hint hint...

doug.goodman 03-22-2018 08:25 PM

I'm a lifer, too. Have been since very early. I would be happy to pay again, as well.

Doug

lloydchristmas 03-22-2018 10:30 PM

I was just about to order an entire run of their magazine too.

sreader3 03-22-2018 10:37 PM

I wish Lyman and Brett all the best. They are a tremendous asset to the hobby. The issue is not just subscriptions (demand) but also contributions (supply). If anyone has an article to contribute to the T206 knowledge base, please PM. I would love to put it on T206 Insider! (I know some of you guys have done great things with plate analysis).

doug.goodman 03-23-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloydchristmas (Post 1760149)
I was just about to order an entire run of their magazine too.

You still should. You will be glad you did.

barrysloate 03-23-2018 07:28 AM

Wish the best to Lyman and Brett. I know the difficulties one faces trying to put out a printed magazine. Tough to compete with the internet. I fortunately have a complete run of OC, but hopefully they will be able to add an issue or two down the road. We all thank them for their really fine hobby publication.

lloydchristmas 03-26-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1760158)
You still should. You will be glad you did.

Oh, I did and I will be.

...thanks :-)

conor912 03-26-2018 06:48 PM

The writing was on the wall when they went to the $20 lifetime subscription. That just isn't financially sustainable no matter how you look at the numbers. Too bad. Love the magazine...this actually reminds me I need to order a back issue to fill my run. The website is killer resource too. I wish them luck in whatever ventures lie ahead.

Didn't VCBC go 34 issues too? If not, it was pretty damn close. Maybe Dennis Purdy will get back into the publishing game. That would make for some entertaining reading, for sure.