Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New guy here...1952 Mantle...is it legit? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245642)

SAllen2556 10-05-2017 06:58 PM

Just wanted to add to the OP that there is a card show in Redford Michigan this Sunday from 9am to 2pm. https://www.facebook.com/RedfordCardShow/

I'm sure you could get an opinion there or at least actually see and feel an ungraded '52 common to compare with yours. Lots of older gentlemen selling 50's Topps cards set up shop at the show....like every other card show in America.

1952boyntoncollector 11-13-2017 06:33 PM

So like other Mantles on net54....we never get to see the results of a PSA submission... gone with the wind

bnorth 11-13-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1719775)
So like other Mantles on net54....we never get to see the results of a PSA submission... gone with the wind

I highly doubt there was ever a PSA submission.

GasHouseGang 11-13-2017 07:05 PM

When someone comes on the board with less than 20 posts and asks about a 52 Mantle, why do I always wonder if it's someone asking "how good does this fake look?" And then we tell them how to make the fake better. Just me being cynical I guess

Volod 11-14-2017 03:38 PM

cynicism-free zone

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1719784)
When someone comes on the board with less than 20 posts and asks about a 52 Mantle, why do I always wonder if it's someone asking "how good does this fake look?" And then we tell them how to make the fake better. Just me being cynical I guess

Those have been my suspicions, as well.:rolleyes:

ALR-bishop 11-14-2017 04:30 PM

What a cynical group :)

bnorth 11-14-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1719784)

I always figure they are just looking for a sucker to buy their fake Mantle they bought off Etsy.

Bestdj777 11-15-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1720206)
I always figure they are just looking for a sucker to buy their fake Mantle they bought off Etsy.

My thoughts as well.

ALR-bishop 11-15-2017 06:58 AM

You guys are probably right and if so think how maddening it must be for a guy to get all this advice about his card and what he should do with it when all he wants is an offer :)

con40 11-15-2017 09:49 AM

100% Fake

Just peeked at the photos and no way is this card real. The scanner did a good job to capture the pattern of ink rosettes used in 4C printing. Among thest I;ve ever seen.

But, the corners are obviously hand-scraped on sandpaper or a file to round them. You can tell because the paper is curling on the rounded corners. Sure sign it's artificial wear created very quickly. Real wear would result in those paper fibers slowly wearing away leaving a diminished thickness of the stock on the worn corners. Luckily there is no counterfeit substitute for card wear that occurs over time.

Total 100% fake.

Volod 11-15-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by con40 (Post 1720316)
Just peeked at the photos and no way is this card real. The scanner did a good job to capture the pattern of ink rosettes used in 4C printing. Among thest I;ve ever seen.

But, the corners are obviously hand-scraped on sandpaper or a file to round them. You can tell because the paper is curling on the rounded corners. Sure sign it's artificial wear created very quickly. Real wear would result in those paper fibers slowly wearing away leaving a diminished thickness of the stock on the worn corners. Luckily there is no counterfeit substitute for card wear that occurs over time.

Total 100% fake.

Sharp observations there about counterfeiting pitfalls, but unfortunately, there are apparently still plenty of the guys that P.T. Barnum referred to being born every minute.

techkiller 12-20-2017 01:39 PM

I didn't disappear guys.....i should be hearing back from PSA any day now...It's supposed to take 7 days after they receive it and I'm on day 10.....growing impatient.....i'm really hoping that the extra time may be because it's legit.

techkiller 12-20-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by con40 (Post 1720316)

Total 100% fake.

I can tell you that the paper was not curling....may appear in the pic even though i just looked at my pics and i don't see what you referring to. Not dismissing your opinion and i agree the corner rounding without much wear is suspicious but it's possible it's legit and it was just trimmed or modified...which would still make it a legit card.

1952boyntoncollector 12-20-2017 02:20 PM

well if the card ends up being 'psa legit' then all of the people posting that its 100% fake etc will be looking pretty bad..

NYYFan63 12-21-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techkiller (Post 1731271)
I didn't disappear guys.....i should be hearing back from PSA any day now...It's supposed to take 7 days after they receive it and I'm on day 10.....growing impatient.....i'm really hoping that the extra time may be because it's legit.

Good luck techkiller. I think PSA is swamped right now. I have sent some cards valued <$500 to them. They received on 11/24, entered in their system on 12/5!!!! and still "in process".

techkiller 12-27-2017 03:05 PM

I called PSA and although they have not completed my submission yet (UGH!!!! Day 14 of estimated 7day) I was told the Mantle was found to be a counterfeit....even though it has the honeycomb printing....disappointing for sure but it was a $25 lottery ticket so i'm not that upset.

techkiller 12-27-2017 03:07 PM

Actually the grades just posted on their site.....The 52 Mantle was graded "N4 Questionable Authenticity".....my question to all of you....what does that even mean?

irv 12-27-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techkiller (Post 1733208)
Actually the grades just posted on their site.....The 52 Mantle was graded "N4 Questionable Authenticity".....my question to all of you....what does that even mean?

Just a guess here but I'd say the info they gathered is inconclusive, meaning they are not 100% sure it is fake but something is there that is telling them not to grade it as real either?

It could be a very good fake or a very poor genuine.

Glad to read it was only $25 bucks for you.

swarmee 12-27-2017 03:22 PM

It means fake, but it also means their lawyers won't let them call it "FAKE" for the 0.001% chance that the card is real.

vintagetoppsguy 12-27-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techkiller (Post 1733208)

It means you can list it on eBay with a picture of the card and the flip and make hundreds of dollars. Seriously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mant...cAAOSwHNxaQd6S

Stonepony 12-27-2017 03:53 PM

Not surprised at all for the identifying reason I noted in my post

1952boyntoncollector 12-27-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techkiller (Post 1733206)
I called PSA and although they have not completed my submission yet (UGH!!!! Day 14 of estimated 7day) I was told the Mantle was found to be a counterfeit....even though it has the honeycomb printing....disappointing for sure but it was a $25 lottery ticket so i'm not that upset.

Still can buy a ton of 6 dollar mantles and sell it at yard sales with old stuff ans ask 25 dollars on it...thats still 4x your money if the guy even paid that much before sold to you....

CW 12-27-2017 05:36 PM

Thanks for coming back to fill us in with the results, tech.

1952boyntoncollector 12-27-2017 05:38 PM

At least you will save a lot in grading fees versus if the mantle turned out to be real. You saved a lot there at least.

homerunderby 01-01-2018 07:01 PM

Would have been a nice story if it was real, but 1) '52 Mantle's have been reprinted/faked for 40 years and 2) I'm always suspicious when the ONE card someone "finds in their attic" is a high dollar card. Where are the other '52's in the stash? No wrappers? No other years? Seems ridiculous to me.

steve B 01-02-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunderby (Post 1734697)
Would have been a nice story if it was real, but 1) '52 Mantle's have been reprinted/faked for 40 years and 2) I'm always suspicious when the ONE card someone "finds in their attic" is a high dollar card. Where are the other '52's in the stash? No wrappers? No other years? Seems ridiculous to me.

Except I've seen something close. (Not 52 Mantle high dollar, but at the time a nice card)
A friend of mine asked if I could check out his collection before he gave it to a family member. Just a quick "oh yeah, can you check out my collection" just before we headed out drinking.
That was a surprise, since I didn't think he even had a collection at all.

I was nearly right - 4 cards, between 71 and 73 including a Schmidt rookie.

I've also come across antique dealers with one card of a star from the 50's. It's less common, but for a while some dealers would buy only a card or two from a collection, or just a single from a random seller.

I got my Baker silk at a coin show that way, it was the only baseball card the dealer had.