Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   August Autograph Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271998)

CooperstownExpert 08-04-2019 11:29 PM

August Autograph Pickups
 
1 Attachment(s)
What will everyone pick up this month?

Here's an August acquisition. The letter is signed by Christy Mathewson's primary catcher Chief Meyers referencing Matty's 342nd win and written on the same day - May 19, 1914. That victory tied Mathewson for 4th on the all-time wins list with Tim Keefe. Only Cy Young, Pud Galvin, and Kid Nichols were ahead of Matty at that point.

Meyers writes, "In the game today, with the Cincinnati club with Mathewson pitching, I used the Model C.M. Catcher's Mitt, made for me by your firm yesterday.

"In my many years of experience, I have never had a Catchers Mitt that I could use without extensive breaking in.

"The perfect balance, deep pocket, and excellent leather make it The Finest Mitt I have ever caught with."

Meyers has boldly signed the bottom of the letter, "Chief John T. Meyers".

This letter, and many autographs of most Hall of Famers and many important baseball figures can be found on my website, CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, search for your favorite player. Every HoFer has a page along with over 250 non-Hall of Fame guys. I hope you enjoy.

Wrightfan85 08-05-2019 09:58 AM

Completely forgot that the other thread said July lol. Let's try this again:

New Postcard addition
https://i.ibb.co/PhXvGnK/20190803-161842.jpg


As someone who has volunteered at Hyde Park, I'm psyched beyond belief to add her to my collection:
https://i.ibb.co/FBhkPd7/20190803-162733.jpg[/quote]

CooperstownExpert 08-05-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrightfan85 (Post 1905624)
Completely forgot that the other thread said July lol. Let's try this again:

New Postcard addition
https://i.ibb.co/PhXvGnK/20190803-161842.jpg


As someone who has volunteered at Hyde Park, I'm psyched beyond belief to add her to my collection:
https://i.ibb.co/FBhkPd7/20190803-162733.jpg

[/quote]

So glad you added Mrs. Roosevelt. That kind of interest you have is why we all collect. Congrats!

earlywynnfan 08-05-2019 08:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally pulled the trigger and reached the pinnacle of my WWII/MLB collection: Elmer Gedeon and Harry O'Neill! As a bonus, I also picked up Bob Neighbors, WWII Vet and Korean War casualty.

The only negative is, where do I go from here?? I've wanted these for so long that now I don't know what to do.

Case12 08-06-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert (Post 1905552)
What will everyone pick up this month?

Here's an August acquisition. The letter is signed by Christy Mathewson's primary catcher Chief Meyers referencing Matty's 342nd win and written on the same day - May 19, 1914. That victory tied Mathewson for 4th on the all-time wins list with Tim Keefe. Only Cy Young, Pud Galvin, and Kid Nichols were ahead of Matty at that point.

Meyers writes, "In the game today, with the Cincinnati club with Mathewson pitching, I used the Model C.M. Catcher's Mitt, made for me by your firm yesterday.

"In my many years of experience, I have never had a Catchers Mitt that I could use without extensive breaking in.

"The perfect balance, deep pocket, and excellent leather make it The Finest Mitt I have ever caught with."

Meyers has boldly signed the bottom of the letter, "Chief John T. Meyers".

This letter, and many autographs of most Hall of Famers and many important baseball figures can be found on my website, CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, search for your favorite player. Every HoFer has a page along with over 250 non-Hall of Fame guys. I hope you enjoy.

This is a super pick up!

tazdmb 08-06-2019 09:07 AM

Major National Pickups, including #269

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/...psjzec8ipa.jpg

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73tleni9.jpg

RichardSimon 08-07-2019 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought a terrific collection.
Here is the best piece.
Card stock photo of one of the most historic events in world history.

scooter729 08-08-2019 09:48 AM

Very cool Orville Wright signed pic, Richard! Not my area of focus, but never saw any like that before!

scooter729 08-08-2019 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought it might be neat to post a story and a pic. Back in 2012, the Red Sox had some big celebrations around the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. They sent to season ticket holders (me included) a bunch of items around the anniversary, including this 8x10 picture of various Red Sox great players.

In the years since, I've brought the picture with me when I've had the chance to get it signed by someone in the picture. It's not an obsession, I've never paid for anyone to sign (which is why I don't have the big names on here), but would like to get as many as I can when possible.

While at a road race a couple of weeks ago (my wife was running, not me), I recognized 1967 AL Cy Young winner Jim Lonborg standing a few feet away from me in the crowd of spectators. I said hello, and we started chatting for a bit. After a while, I joked that I needed to bump into him again sometime, and told him about this picture.

Lonborg was ever gracious, got a slip of paper, wrote down his home address and told me to mail it to him, and he would sign it and get it right back to me. Lo and behold, I sent it and it came right back, all in under a week.

Might need to see about how I can add a few more signatures to this in the near future now! Just thought it was worth sharing a story of a generous offer from a former player....

tazdmb 08-15-2019 07:19 AM

So I went to the Tigers game yesterday to get potential HOFer Joe West's autograph (will not get into debate of whether Umpires deserve induction). Anyways, after the game he signed the below baseball and inscription. Turns out since 5000 games umpired, he inscribes every baseball with total number of games umpired. The inscription will never be used again after Today's game. Thought that was kind of different and very Joe West of him.

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/...psdhrowuez.jpg

7nohitter 08-17-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1908568)
So I went to the Tigers game yesterday to get potential HOFer Joe West's autograph (will not get into debate of whether Umpires deserve induction). Anyways, after the game he signed the below baseball and inscription. Turns out since 5000 games umpired, he inscribes every baseball with total number of games umpired. The inscription will never be used again after Today's game. Thought that was kind of different and very Joe West of him.

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/...psdhrowuez.jpg

Wow, he actually has a beautiful autograph! Based on that odd frickin chin of his, I would not have guessed!

Say what you will, the guy has seen his share of games!

felada 08-21-2019 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been after one of these for a long time

tazdmb 08-26-2019 03:14 PM

#270-And it is Biggie (in terms of difficulty, not size).

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/...psfwxgwrvr.jpg

sayhey24 08-27-2019 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, some amazing National pickups and I love the Chief Meyers that started the thread.
Picked up this 1963 Red Sox autographed team ball at a sale this weekend -- it has a couple of marks on it, but still pretty cool.

Greg

RelicSports 08-30-2019 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not really an August pick up, but just found this today after fearing I had lost it a year or two ago. My Grandfather was president of Miami of Ohio in the late 60's and received this cachet and letter. Neil Armstrong would be the graduation speaker a year or two later, and signed it for him. A special piece that will remain in the family indefinitely.

71buc 09-08-2019 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first TTM autograph in over 40 years.

Scott Garner 09-09-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1915391)
My first TTM autograph in over 40 years.

Wow! Mike, what made you think of chasing his autograph?
I must admit that I think that's pretty creative.

RCMcKenzie 09-09-2019 11:53 PM

Make the Knicks great again...
 
1 Attachment(s)
.

71buc 09-10-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1915652)
Wow! Mike, what made you think of chasing his autograph?
I must admit that I think that's pretty creative.

I have a friend who loves Barry and I thought this would be the one item his collection truly lacked. No matter what your opinion is of Mr. Conte he did change the game. He also replied to my request in less than a week.

Scott Garner 09-11-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1915695)
I have a friend who loves Barry and I thought this would be the one item his collection truly lacked. No matter what your opinion is of Mr. Conte he did change the game. He also replied to my request in less than a week.

All points very true, Mike.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.