Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Could this be an issue? (Babe Ruth checks) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270083)

Baseball Fan 06-12-2019 04:12 PM

Could this be an issue? (Babe Ruth checks)

Noticed in the upcoming Hunt Auction that there is a cool Babe Ruth piece, but it also contains several unsigned bank checks from his account.

Would it be difficult for forgers to use these because of all the bank marks, etc., that would be needed, or could it be a concern?

https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...=121&lot_qual=

yanksfan09 06-13-2019 05:42 AM

Hmmm...Be on alert in future years for any checks that have check numbers after that starting point 5336. Hopefully the buyer will be honest, but it could be sold off piece by piece to many different people over time.

chalupacollects 06-13-2019 07:15 AM

No these checks cannot be used anymore. Chemical Bank was dissolved on the 80's when purchased by what is now JPM Chase and also there are no account or routing numbers on them...If someone wants to fake a check these days they only need to get a set of account numbers, buy some software and check paper, magnetic ink and away they go...

RichardSimon 06-13-2019 07:46 AM

Years ago a blank Babe Ruth Foundation check was being offered on eBay.
The check sold and barely a few weeks later the SAME CHECK appeared again on eBay.
This time it was filled out and had a Ruth signature.
I reported it to a government agency but nothing happened.

RichardSimon 06-13-2019 07:47 AM

The check sold and barely a few weeks later the SAME CHECK appeared again on eBay.
The check did not have any bank cancellation markings.

Republicaninmass 06-13-2019 08:07 AM

I think it has been discussed before that checks are one of the most commonly forged items. Bad news

David Atkatz 06-13-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1888417)
No these checks cannot be used anymore. Chemical Bank was dissolved on the 80's when purchased by what is now JPM Chase and also there are no account or routing numbers on them...If someone wants to fake a check these days they only need to get a set of account numbers, buy some software and check paper, magnetic ink and away they go...

Man, you REALLY misunderstood the question!

Jim65 06-13-2019 10:14 AM

One time I was at a show and overheard a dealer tell a buyer that checks are guaranteed to be authentic because it was against federal law for a person to sign someone elses check. lol

Republicaninmass 06-13-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1888489)
One time I was at a show and overheard a dealer tell a buyer that checks are guaranteed to be authentic because it was against federal law for a person to sign someone elses check. lol

Sure, then they can act like SGC and tell you to seek restitution from the FBI, since forgery is a federal offense

HRBAKER 06-13-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1888476)

That's what I was thinking.

Bpm0014 06-13-2019 01:50 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Same here, haha

Forever Young 06-13-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Thank you David.. #bellylaughwithacoupletears

Stampsfan 06-14-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1888428)

Gawd, is there no end to the fraud in this industry? Ugh...

chalupacollects 06-14-2019 03:41 PM

ok sometimes it happens...:o

mrmopar 06-14-2019 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Let's document it now for all to see...maybe it will help in the future.

Check #'s 5336-5471 would be the blanks, assuming they are all sequential, which seems pretty reasonable. 5 checks per page, 135 total blanks = 27 pages.

Gary Dunaier 06-16-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1888417)

Quote:

And how!

The original question related to forgery in terms of making up fake Babe Ruth checks.

tha-rock 06-20-2019 11:05 AM

Yes, the possibility exists like Richard Simon said that someone will take these blank checks, fill them out and forge Ruth's signature on them, and that is scary. I would be shocked if someone (or several someones) hasn't already thought about that as a reason to bid on this item. What is more scary is that a possibility exists that some TPA may certify one or more as legit.

Haters gonna hate, cheaters gonna cheat...