Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How did you handle renege by eBay vendor? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262523)

Butch7999 11-24-2018 10:52 AM

How did you handle renege by eBay vendor?

We're certain this has happened to several members here, but it's a novel experience for us,
so we're wondering how you handled it when an eBay vendor reneged on an auction you'd won.

In a nutshell, won an auction with an automated snipe Monday afternoon. It went fairly cheap,
although we did have to outbid another potential buyer. Physically large item with reasonably large S&H.
Paid as soon as we got home Monday evening, adding, as we always do, a friendly note asking the vendor
to take care in packaging.

Monday night the vendor messages us via eBay to say how shocked and insulted he was
that anyone would have the nerve to tell a "retired postal inspector" how to package for shipping,
and that he was going to lose money on the deal because eBay forced him to include a too-low shipping price.

We replied via eBay telling him there was nothing to be shocked or insulted about, and that
we'd happily reimburse him actual shipping costs after the item arrived.

Tuesday morning he writes demanding more money (off eBay) for shipping, then again asking if
we'd received his demand (we hadn't, we were out and not at our e-mail). We deliberated that night
whether or not to pony up.

We were about to respond Wednesday morning when we found he'd already written again to declare
that the "48-hour deadline" had passed (huh?), and since we'd not acceded to his demand, he was
cancelling the sale.

Obviously the whole thing is just this joker not getting whatever price he'd wanted for his item,
but just maybe he should've started the bidding higher. And just maybe a vendor with 1500 feedback
should know how to adjust the shipping price. It doesn't appear we've been hit with a non-paying bidder strike,
but we'd love to sock it to this clown somehow. Any ideas?

Leon 11-24-2018 10:59 AM

A punch to the gut seems warranted. :) Karma is his worst enemy. I would let it go at this stage in my life (if I were you). Twenty or thirty years ago I would have been more enraged. But now, things just piss me off and I tend to let them go more easily.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-24-2018 11:08 AM

You can share his off ebay emails looking for more money with Ebay. They won't take kindly to that. Ebay basically doesn't care what anyone does, unless it costs THEM fees.

icollectDCsports 11-24-2018 11:25 AM

If it would be difficult to find and/or obtain another like item and you really want to keep the transaction alive, I'd reach out to eBay to let them know you still want and expect the seller to send the item, sharing the communications from him to you. Maybe eBay will threaten the guy with suspension or revocation if he doesn't follow through.

Butch7999 11-24-2018 11:26 AM

Thanks for the early responses so far. And apologies for our ambiguity -- he wrote via eBay messaging
to demand we send him more money privately off eBay, not writing us privately off eBay.
Seems self-incriminating.

Leon, that's probably wise advice, but we've adhered to that most of our lives and it just seems like
it gives some people license to walk all over us. Now that we've been card-carrying AARP members
for many years and it feels like time's growing short, we're less inclined to take things lying down...

iCollect, yeah, a scarce item for sure, but not terribly rare, let alone unique -- we'll eventually see another
and in much better condition, just not for the very nice price at which we won that auction. The guy's
attitude ticked us off as much as not receiving what we'd promptly paid for (he did refund us).

Leon 11-24-2018 11:53 AM

I admit to not always practicing what I preach. :) ....but in theory it's great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 1829442)
Thanks for the early responses so far. And apologies for our ambiguity -- he wrote via eBay messaging
to demand we send him more money privately off eBay, not writing us privately off eBay.
Seems self-incriminating.

Leon, that's probably wise advice, but we've adhered to that most of our lives and it just seems like
it gives some people license to walk all over us. Now that we've been card-carrying AARP members
for many years and it feels like time's growing short, we're less inclined to take things lying down...

iCollect, yeah, a scarce item for sure, but not terribly rare, let alone unique -- we'll eventually see another
and in much better condition, just not for the very nice price at which we won that auction. The guy's
attitude ticked us off as much as not receiving what we'd promptly paid for (he did refund us).

roarfrom34 11-24-2018 12:07 PM

I hope leave appropriate feedback as well

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-24-2018 12:15 PM

If he sent you that message on ebay it's even easier to report him as they can look up his communications when you call.

chalupacollects 11-24-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1829465)
If he sent you that message on ebay it's even easier to report him as they can look up his communications when you call.

Yes call ebay tell them about the communications and they will not take kindly to it....

egbeachley 11-24-2018 05:37 PM

I probably would have sent the cash then, after the item arrived, let eBay know I felt pressured in order to get the item and ask eBay for a refund.

Gary Dunaier 11-24-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 1829429)
the vendor messages us via eBay to say how shocked and insulted he was that anyone would have the nerve to tell a "retired postal inspector" how to package for shipping

How did he expect you to know he was a retired postal inspector? :confused:

Butch7999 11-24-2018 08:44 PM

Gary, what, you didn't know either?!

Runscott 11-25-2018 09:13 AM

When I get a super-great deal, I pay fast and keep my mouth shut other than to say 'thank you'.

Fuddjcal 11-25-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1829435)
You can share his off ebay emails looking for more money with Ebay. They won't take kindly to that. Ebay basically doesn't care what anyone does, unless it costs THEM fees.

AND this is so true of FEE bay. They are the lowest of the low Philipine companies that ever existed. They are scum. PERIOD. I would shoot the guy an e mail telling him to F off and that he is a loser PERIOD, but he is retired from the postal service, so that speaks for itself.

JLange 11-25-2018 12:32 PM

A friendly reminder about shipping protection backfired

I had a very similar experience last year.

A few years ago I started sending a note to each eBay seller I bought from, kindly asking each to harden and weatherproof the packaging so it survives all the way to my house - this after receiving numerous crumbled or wet items over the years. Initially these comments were well received and I do feel it made a difference. In the time period I was doing this I had no further damage to speak of.

Then I finally encountered someone who was incredulous and deeply offended to receive such a request. He immediately cancelled my order and basically said to go ahead and report him to eBay but he wouldn’t send the items. Of course I really wanted these items and pleaded my case but he wouldn’t budge. That was it. I never got them and regrettably haven’t even seen them for sale again on eBay since.

I thought about it and decided that the risk of not receiving what I purchased outweighed the risk that the item would arrive damaged. The reality is that most items I buy at this point are difficult to find or offered infrequently so I don’t want to take that chance again.

I stopped sending my little shipping instruction note. So far everything has arrived undamaged and I’d like to think this is due to eBay sellers higher standards for shipping these days but just don’t know.

Forever Young 11-25-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1829737)
When I get a super-great deal, I pay fast and keep my mouth shut other than to say 'thank you'.

There are such things as miracles after all. :D

RedsFan1941 11-25-2018 03:02 PM

lol

Runscott 11-25-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1829847)
There are such things as miracles after all. :D

Ben, not to take away from your moment of wit, but I learned this behavior during the famous BL 460 event of 2002. At least one current board member learned the hard way.

mrmopar 11-25-2018 05:28 PM

Just a thought, but sometimes people may have had to deal with picky buyers about shipping and if someone mentions it up front, it might be a red flag to that seller that they may be getting a hard to deal with buyer.

I have done the same thing myself though after getting packages that were beat up. Some people just don't get it I guess.

earlywynnfan 11-25-2018 05:34 PM

I had one "picky" buyer this season, two months ago someone bought a photo off of me. He asked me to write "hand-deliver only" all over it because items haven't been arriving for him, and he wasn't sure if it was the mailman or someone stealing his packages. So I did, it showed as delivered a few days later, and I didn't hear from him, thinking all was good.

Last week, over 6 weeks after it was delivered, he opened a case against me because he never received it. Still hasn't communicated directly with me. Kinda frustrating.

bnorth 11-25-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1829932)
Just a thought, but sometimes people may have had to deal with picky buyers about shipping and if someone mentions it up front, it might be a red flag to that seller that they may be getting a hard to deal with buyer.

^^THIS^^ Some buyers are crazy. Just look on this forum, some people freak out and make a thread about how something was shipped when it arrived perfectly.

I have had buyers freak out because they did not get their card in a new penny sleeve, new top loader, in a new team bag.