Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card Collector True Confessions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236863)

spaidly 03-14-2017 03:59 PM

Card Collector True Confessions

if I don't have a pile of newly acquired raw baseball cards at my bedside table every night to smell, take off my checklist, and put in fresh Card Savers, I tend to drink more.

My name is Scott and I'm a card collector.

Rookiemonster 03-14-2017 04:12 PM

When I see the red flag up on my mailbox I start to feel high. Then when I grad that bubble mailer I'm in 7th heaven. When I go a few days without it I start to itch and check the mail box regularly. I've been known to ask the Mail carrier if she has anymore of those bubble mailers.

mechanicalman 03-14-2017 05:21 PM

It took me six months to come clean to my wife about my new hobby. Thankfully we are still married, and she thinks that Goudeys are "pretty."

quinnsryche 03-14-2017 05:30 PM

My wife doesn't ask what I spend on cards and I don't ask her how much she spent on Rodan & Fields (makeup-very expensive makeup). Probably a wash. I love my wife!

orly57 03-14-2017 05:40 PM

USPS trucks give me instant erections.

Also, when I die, rather than a coffin, I want the guys over at PWCC to package me. They are masterful.

steve B 03-14-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinnsryche (Post 1641215)
My wife doesn't ask what I spend on cards and I don't ask her how much she spent on Rodan & Fields (makeup-very expensive makeup). Probably a wash. I love my wife!

I was a bit disappointed the companies logo looked nothing like this

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=22330

Yes, there are several reasons I'm not in the corporate logo business.

Steve B

seanofjapan 03-14-2017 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I live in Japan and collect cards here. The main set I collect each year is put out by a company called Calbee, which distributes its cards with bags of potato chips (you get 2 cards per bag, the sets usually have about 250-300 cards).

This is what my kitchen cupboards look like during the baseball season:

Yoda 03-14-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1641278)
I live in Japan and collect cards here. The main set I collect each year is put out by a company called Calbee, which distributes its cards with bags of potato chips (you get 2 cards per bag, the sets usually have about 250-300 cards).

This is what my kitchen cupboards look like during the baseball season:

Better than bubble gum, I guess.

Billy5858 03-14-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1641223)
USPS trucks give me instant erections.

Also, when I die, rather than a coffin, I want the guys over at PWCC to package me. They are masterful.

+1 To the PWCC packaging only :D

seanofjapan 03-15-2017 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1641299)

Well, better than Topps bubble gum at least.

The downside though is that the chips come on one flavor (plain) and you accumulate way more than you can ever eat very very quickly. Plus the chips themselves constitute about 80% of the value of the thing you are buying, whereas bubble gum is more or less a freebie attached to the cards (or at last was back in the day). And gum doesn't take up anywhere near as much space!

clydepepper 03-15-2017 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1641299)

Hey now- I have it on good authority that gum was still good ten years later. Could ever claim that about potato chips, even the radioactive kind.

GasHouseGang 03-15-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1641328)
Well, better than Topps bubble gum at least.

The downside though is that the chips come on one flavor (plain) and you accumulate way more than you can ever eat very very quickly. Plus the chips themselves constitute about 80% of the value of the thing you are buying, whereas bubble gum is more or less a freebie attached to the cards (or at last was back in the day). And gum doesn't take up anywhere near as much space!

Sean, do the cards come wrapped inside the bag? I hope so, otherwise staining would be an issue.

Stonepony 03-15-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy5858 (Post 1641318)
+1 To the PWCC packaging only :D

I couldn't disagree more. Their refusal to put a multiple thousand dollar card in a box to ship irritates me. Always a double mailer. I cringe when I see them. Terrible packaging IMO. I've Emailed them and they disagree.

Exhibitman 03-15-2017 04:23 PM

I'd rather go to a card show than a broadway show.

I don't dream about having power or money or fame, I dream about having more cards.

I've asked my daughter to sprinkle some of my ashes at the National, wherever it may be.

Enfuego 03-15-2017 07:02 PM

I do like to do a modified "Happy Dance" kinda like the dance that Eddie Murphy did when speaking about Ice Cream on his comedy show "Raw"

seanofjapan 03-15-2017 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1641423)
Sean, do the cards come wrapped inside the bag? I hope so, otherwise staining would be an issue.

Yes they put them in little packs that are attached to the outside of the bags like this, so the cards come stain free.

Leon 03-16-2017 06:54 AM

That was smart to do it that way. Too bad some of the other series we collect didn't do that...

As far as confessions, I feel like Good Morning Vietnam when I walk into my office each morning and sit down to "do" cards......whatever endeavor it might be....it's always fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1641632)
Yes they put them in little packs that are attached to the outside of the bags like this, so the cards come stain free.

hcv123 03-16-2017 07:25 AM

No bigger thrill

There is nothing that I have been looking for in my life for over 20 years other than some items on my card and memorabilia want list.
Finding a card on it is as a bigger thrill than meeting the player on the card.
Going to a national after not going for a few years feels like a family reunion!

My name is Howard, I am a card collector.

packs 03-16-2017 08:13 AM

I look at auctions all day. My fiancee likes to make fun of me by saying I'm addicted to online shopping. It's true though, I am.

sterlingfox 03-16-2017 08:33 AM

I spend almost all of my free time scouring eBay and Auction Houses. I look forward to local card shows. The hobby has taken over everything else that I used to do with my free time. It's definitely an addiction, but I love it.

mybuddyinc 03-16-2017 08:56 AM

I can stop anytime I want to .................... I just don't want to :)

JoeDfan 03-16-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybuddyinc (Post 1641733)
I can stop anytime I want to .................... I just don't want to :)

+1:D

JustinD 03-16-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1641632)

Shows the difference in the Japanese and American people as far as personal morals at times. I feel if they did that here this guy I always see fondling and cherry picking the packs at Target for autos and inserts would be removing and pocketing them all.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/26...sml_medium.jpg

seanofjapan 03-16-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1641775)
Shows the difference in the Japanese and American people as far as personal morals at times. I feel if they did that here this guy I always see fondling and cherry picking the packs at Target for autos and inserts would be removing and pocketing them all.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/26...sml_medium.jpg

While people are generally very honest here and crime is rare (one thing I like about living here), I actually did see evidence of someone doing something like that once. I was in a big supermarket and when I reached down to grab a bag of the chips I realized someone had taken a pair of scissors and snipped the cards off.

Out of hundreds of times I have bought them though that is the only time I ever saw that, so it is rare!

Leon 03-19-2017 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am around cards almost all of the time. I have no issue...

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1641169)
if I don't have a pile of newly acquired raw baseball cards at my bedside table every night to smell, take off my checklist, and put in fresh Card Savers, I tend to drink more.

My name is Scott and I'm a card collector.