Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ? for 56 57 topps experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156997)

Sme1973 09-25-2012 07:59 PM

? for 56 57 topps experts

I'm getting back into collecting for the 3rd time now. As I grow older I find myself to enjoy the older cards more now. Prob because I have the money to spend on em now... Anyways i'm looking for a set to start collecting. I really like the look of the 56 topps but at a card show this weekend a guy had a great starter set of 57 topps all very nice looking cards. He had 200 + of the set for 1k. I like the fact that it's a nice looking starter set and for my first set this may be the way to go. I'm the type of collecter that I want nice cards.. not the type that collects fuzzy corners just to say I have a set of blah blah. Anyone got any input to throw at me I'd appreciate it. The 57 set was selling at 1k booking at 2700 ish.
Thanks for ur time,
Steve

ALR-bishop 09-25-2012 08:51 PM

56 & 57

Both great sets. The 57 is one of my favorites and my favorite of the 50s sets. Do you like the bigger cards of 52 to 56, or the smaller cards starting in 57 ?

veloce 09-25-2012 09:47 PM

Why choose one? I say dive into both... they're both classic sets. If you do choose, I think it comes down to your preference of photos vs. art or full stats vs. cartoons. Personally, I think the background art on '56 is hard to beat and the colors are a lot better compared with the photos. Also, if you're collecting high grade, '56 might be easier with fewer cards, no big rookies, and no tough series.

Whichever you choose the B/S/T section here is pretty helpful and much more pleasant to deal with than ebay.

Sme1973 09-26-2012 05:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I prefer the 56 set myself. I like the colors and better looking cards to me. That being said .. with the seemingly good deal I found on the 57's it seems hard to pass up that starter set. If I do the 57 first I will do the 56 right after I finish the 57. Or maybe before :)

frankbmd 09-26-2012 07:12 AM

PM sent about putting my 56 set together with some dupes available. Pretty cards, good choice.

GasHouseGang 09-26-2012 10:19 AM

1956's would be my choice. But my main advice, is to be sure that if you go for the starter set you're being offered, that it actually contains cards in a condition you will keep for your set. If you start the set and then start replacing the cards from the starter set, you won't have saved money but actually spent more. Yes, I've done it before.:rolleyes:

brob28 09-26-2012 04:00 PM

If it was me I'd go for the '56 set. My favorite set, jsut I love the artwork on the cards. I'm one card shy of my '56 set and if you are looking for condition with nice centering there can be some tough cards.

My opinions on the '56 set aside, I would not go for the '57 set (or any other) just because you can acquire a large starter lot. Put together the one you really want the most and it will never feel like a chore.

Cheers!