Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2011 topps update trout rookie. How much higher? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267266)

Rayfromphilly 03-25-2019 07:40 AM

2011 topps update trout rookie. How much higher?

How much higher can this card go? I bought a psa 10 2 yrs ago for $120. Sold it in September for $600. Its now selling for $900!. Wth. My thoughts were it peaked at $600. Its a base card with a high pop so i don't understand why so high

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

rjackson44 03-25-2019 09:07 AM

even more money

never mind that look at his 2009 bowman chrome xfractors ,,price of a suv ..omg .

Yastrzemski Sports 03-28-2019 04:28 AM

Trout is experiencing a surge since signing his record deal. If you think the price of his cards is nuts check this out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-2011-...UAAOSw~65cktdA

rjackson44 03-28-2019 10:29 AM

adam lol ...omg

Eric72 03-29-2019 09:26 AM

This pricing is incredible. I stashed away a few raw copies back in 2011 and hadn’t thought about them until I saw this recent price spike.

MrPosadas 03-31-2019 06:42 PM

I don't post often but this topic resonates with me as the price of the Trout rookie card, in my opinion, is out of control. Trout is no doubt well on his way to the HoF if he keeps putting up the numbers he normally does but the card prices just seems premature and little like hysteria to me. It reminds me of when Jeremy Lin got big and his rookie cards became astronomically high. One sold for $22K at the peak and recent sales of the same card are now around $1K. Not sure if the Trout cards will subside at some point (my gut tells me "yes") but I would much rather spend that money on high grade card of an already inducted HoF rookie from the 60s or 70s, like a Schmidt for example, as they are harder to get in higher grades and the remaining population is much smaller.

chalupacollects 04-01-2019 07:41 AM

Not a short print, millions made... serious hype... one serious injury or bad year and prices will settle down IMHO....

packs 04-01-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPosadas (Post 1866808)
I don't post often but this topic resonates with me as the price of the Trout rookie card, in my opinion, is out of control. Trout is no doubt well on his way to the HoF if he keeps putting up the numbers he normally does but the card prices just seems premature and little like hysteria to me. It reminds me of when Jeremy Lin got big and his rookie cards became astronomically high. One sold for $22K at the peak and recent sales of the same card are now around $1K. Not sure if the Trout cards will subside at some point (my gut tells me "yes") but I would much rather spend that money on high grade card of an already inducted HoF rookie from the 60s or 70s, like a Schmidt for example, as they are harder to get in higher grades and the remaining population is much smaller.

The 93 SP Jeter hasn't come down. I also think it's pretty apples to oranges to compare Mike Trout, already one of the greatest players of all time, with Jeremy Lin. Not to mention that Mike Trout has 2 MVP awards. He's not exactly a flash in the pan or flavor of the moment.

Peter_Spaeth 04-01-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1866994)
The 93 SP Jeter hasn't come down. I also think it's pretty apples to oranges to compare Mike Trout, already one of the greatest players of all time, with Jeremy Lin. Not to mention that Mike Trout has 2 MVP awards. He's not exactly a flash in the pan or flavor of the moment.

I agree the prices aren't premature, he's as close to a lock as there can be, I just think they make little sense in light of the massive quantities of 10s out there.

KingFisk 04-01-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1867040)
I agree the prices aren't premature, he's as close to a lock as there can be, I just think they make little sense in light of the massive quantities of 10s out there.

Agreed. What's the pop on PSA 10s? Four thousand and climbing?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yastrzemski Sports 04-01-2019 06:03 PM

I saw this first in basketball when the Steph Curry rookie went from $8 to $250 a couple of years ago. I would expect the price of his cards will follow the path of his career. I remember times when you couldn’t touch a Griffey, Pujols or McGwire Rookie. Over time, as their careers faded in their 30s so did the prices. If Trouts career settles in a few years his prices will fall. If he continues a GOAT pace his cards are going to be out of sight.

MVSNYC 04-08-2019 03:45 PM

I'm typically a vintage guy (T206), but have a few "key" modern rookies...2011 Topps Update Trout, 2012 Archives Harper, and a stack of Jeter SP's. All of which have been crushing it. Just wish I bought more!

I also think there's a big upswing this past month due to the big contracts and opening of the Baseball season.

Peter_Spaeth 04-08-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1868576)
I'm typically a vintage guy (T206), but have a few "key" modern rookies...2011 Topps Update Trout, 2012 Archives Harper, and a stack of Jeter SP's. All of which have been crushing it. Just wish I bought more!

I also think there's a big upswing this past month due to the big contracts and opening of the Baseball season.

Sell into strength!!

philliesphan 04-09-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1867042)
Agreed. What's the pop on PSA 10s? Four thousand and climbing?

Over 4,000 PSA 10s, and over 70% of submissions of this card have been graded PSA 10

Peter_Spaeth 04-09-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphan (Post 1868739)
Over 4,000 PSA 10s, and over 70% of submissions of this card have been graded PSA 10

I guess low pop would be a misnomer.

packs 04-09-2019 09:20 AM

Would a PSA 1 become the most desirable grade? Talk about rarity.

KingFisk 04-10-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1868740)
I guess low pop would be a misnomer.

I actually was more excited when I got a BGS 9.5 Bowman Chrome Trout (the standard one, not the Draft) and successfully crossed it to a PSA 10. I thought that was going to be the prize, not the Topps Update. The PSA 10 population is less than 10% of the Update, but I guess that's the one that's become "iconic." Not to mention the one that got voted into the PSA Future HOF registry, teeing it up for the main Post-War Rookie HOF registry.

AGuinness 04-11-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1869078)
Not to mention the one that got voted into the PSA Future HOF registry, teeing it up for the main Post-War Rookie HOF registry.

I didn't know this; I didn't even know that the registry included a "Future HOF" category. No wonder the price is where it's at, as the registry seems to have a decent impact on a card's market price.
And I had to go look at the checklist...
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...mposition/1512

Many names I'd agree with, although I wonder what happens when some of the questionable names get removed from the registry (does that even happen?). Guys like Manny Ramirez (can't see him in HOF due to PEDs), Sammy Sosa (similar to Manny), Dale Murphy (I can't remember the last time I read a story arguing for his inclusion, seem to have no steam)...

swarmee 04-11-2019 03:36 PM

People do drop off the future hall of famers list. I'm pretty sure Joe Mauer was on it. Carlos Beltran still is, but probably can get taken off. If you're working the set, you can request they remove people that don't have realistic chances to get elected/selected. I think they will then poll the rest of the people in the set before it gets pulled, if the people working the set agree with you.

AGuinness 04-11-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1869418)
People do drop off the future hall of famers list. I'm pretty sure Joe Mauer was on it. Carlos Beltran still is, but probably can get taken off. If you're working the set, you can request they remove people that don't have realistic chances to get elected/selected. I think they will then poll the rest of the people in the set before it gets pulled, if the people working the set agree with you.

I know there was a thread regarding Mauer’s candidacy elsewhere, but in the context of this PSA list, he would stand better chances than a number of players currently on it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingFisk 04-11-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1869418)

You know, I swore Mauer was on it too but the guys on CU Forum said he never was. I have asked them to remove guys like Gonzalez and Palmeiro but never got a response. Not a big deal but that list needs cleaning up....and Harold Baines was never on it! ;)

KingFisk 04-11-2019 07:27 PM

Actually it looks like Palmeiro has been booted off of it, so there you have it.

glynparson 04-14-2019 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1866994)

Apples
To oranges to compare a difficult card to get in high grade the sp jeter to a card relatively easy to get in high grade the trout. Honestly makes no sense at all. Better comparison would have been a topps jeter rookie which doesn’t sell for a ton of money.

MVSNYC 04-14-2019 07:24 AM

Glyn, I agree with your perspective. I will add however, I think a comparison/parallel can be drawn between those two cards, that they each have become the card to get for those players; their most popular/iconic cards.

packs 04-15-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1870114)
Glyn, I agree with your perspective. I will add however, I think a comparison/parallel can be drawn between those two cards, that they each have become the card to get for those players; their most popular/iconic cards.

Well, yeah, that's what I was going for. Seemed like a good comparison to me.

Yastrzemski Sports 04-16-2019 06:57 AM

There really isn’t another baseball card for comparison. You have to go to other sports. In basketball you can compare to Jordan, Lebron, Curry or Durant. In hockey, McDavid or Crosby. In football Brady.

Peter_Spaeth 04-18-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1869471)
Actually it looks like Palmeiro has been booted off of it, so there you have it.

I'd put Larry Walker on that list, and Mattingly.