Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When do you clean a photo? (With an example) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242329)

Jobu 07-13-2017 01:26 PM

When do you clean a photo? (With an example)

1 Attachment(s)
I am new to collecting photos and am trying figure out what to do with the photo below, a picture of Mickey Mantle on his first pro team, the semi-pro Whiz Kids, from 1947 when he was 16 years old. Mantle and a few of the other players have signed the picture (the other sigs are barely legible).

The condition is a bit rough because it is an original that belonged to one of the kids in the picture, Guy Crow, who was the bat boy (left end of the right bench).

I don't think I am interested in having the missing parts restored as I see the condition as part of the history. I am worried that the dirt and stuff on it might not be good for the picture over time ... not to mention the smudges also obscure the image a bit.

Is having it professionally cleaned an acceptable thing to do? If so, is it really costly?

Thanks in advance.

hcv123 07-13-2017 07:18 PM

Don't knwo the answer to your question, but.....

Just wanted to appreciate what an amazing photo that is!! Wow!!

Jobu 07-23-2017 06:50 PM

Thanks Howard!

cfhofer 07-24-2017 12:05 PM

Leave the photo alone. Spend the money instead on a nice frame with UV protection and acid-free matte. Nice piece!

drcy 07-24-2017 12:14 PM

You could look into getting it professionally cleaned and conserved. I don't know the price, but it would be worth looking into for your photo.

I'm not a condition freak and am ordinarily for leaving items as is, but this is an exception-- if that's what you want to do. There's nothing unethical about restoration-- and it can be a good thing if the item is falling apart of deteriorating--, so long as the restoration is disclosed at sale.

I wrote a short piece on the issues and ethics of restoration at the end of this SABR post

irv 07-24-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1680644)
Just wanted to appreciate what an amazing photo that is!! Wow!!

X2. Incredible picture of a very young Mickey Mantle!

Who wouldn't love to own that! :)

conor912 07-25-2017 06:04 PM

I would have it cleaned, but not restored. But I also agree with Mark that this piece should be in a frame, if for no other reason than to protect it. It's super cool, even without the auto. At the end of the day, it all depends on what it's worth to you to preserve it. What size is it?

Jobu 07-25-2017 08:58 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

The photo is 21" x 8", so it is pretty big.

I generally like things to be original but think the smudges really detract from it and I worry that whatever that substance is will not be good for the photo or the autographs going forward. Beyond that I would stabilize it and leave the rest of the condition as it is - I like that it shows that it was owned by a kid on the team. I am a bit on the fence about even leaving the dirt for that same reason but just can't decide which is the correct way to go. If I find out that it will be $1200 to have it cleaned that will big a big factor too :)

conor912 07-25-2017 09:17 PM

If it were mine I would have the dirt and dark stain on the upper right removed. I agree that some dirt/wear on an item can add to it's coolness, but those are detracting from the piece, imo.

Having framed several things in comparable sizes, doing a nice archival/museum glass frame job will run you about $300. I can't speak to cleaning costs, but for some reason the $600-800 range is sticking in my head. Keep in mind not what you spent on it, but what it's worth to you. I have spent $400 framing something I spent 50 bucks on just because I loved it and wanted to enjoy/protect it indefinitely.

t.tomc 08-02-2017 03:01 PM

What a great piece Bryan. I would definitely have it archivally framed. Just having it stabilized so it won't bend/move will help keep the emulsion and paper base from cracking/deteriorating further. Getting any acidic surface particulates off would certainly be a good idea as well since that would help keep it from deteriorating further over time.

Thanks for sharing!