Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thinking about... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235681)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 01:50 PM

Thinking about...

Contemplating selling off the program portion of my Jackie Collection.

Someone talk me out of it.

I have 220 Scored Dodgers Programs Most from Ebbets.

I have approx 100 un scored Away Games as well.

I am looking to trade for dodger stubs, or stubs from big games possibly.

What does everyone think?

Maybe focusing attention on to one thing will allow me to finish the set?

Dewey2007 02-20-2017 02:05 PM

Trying to complete sets of stubs and programs for a player like Robinson is a pretty tough double-double. Just my two cents but I would concentrate on one or the other but not both for exactly the reason you gave in your last sentence.

ibuysportsephemera 02-20-2017 02:11 PM

I think that you will find that you probably paid more as a collector than you will get as a dealer. Good luck. I collect Brooklyn Dodgers programs so if you want to shoot me a list with prices, I can take a look.

Jeff

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1633442)
I think that you will find that you probably paid more as a collector than you will get as a dealer. Good luck. I collect Brooklyn Dodgers programs so if you want to shoot me a list with prices, I can take a look.

Jeff

I bought pretty smart (I think). Got lucky that I got a crap load from one guy all scored. So that helped.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey2007 (Post 1633441)
Trying to complete sets of stubs and programs for a player like Robinson is a pretty tough double-double. Just my two cents but I would concentrate on one or the other but not both for exactly the reason you gave in your last sentence.

Yes I agree. It's a tough decision I am fighting with.

Econteachert205 02-20-2017 02:35 PM

How long have you been contemplating selling? You should give it at least a week. Then sell off a small group you could easily replace. After that see how you feel. Honestly having seen some of your other posts you seem a bit impulsive at times. I am the same way and it never works out well for me. Good luck.

slidekellyslide 02-20-2017 02:44 PM

Unless you need the money put the scorecards away, just tuck them in a closet out of sight and forget about them. My guess is you'll regret getting rid of them if you do. Focus on the tickets for a while and when you get bored with that dig out your scorecards.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1633452)
How long have you been contemplating selling? You should give it at least a week. Then sell off a small group you could easily replace. After that see how you feel. Honestly having seen some of your other posts you seem a bit impulsive at times. I am the same way and it never works out well for me. Good luck.

I am DEF impulsive lol. It's just I don't share the same passion for the programs that I do with the stubs. It makes me buying them harder and harder. I used to pay over 100 for a 55 program, now I'm staying away which shows I am losing interest. I will wait a week and see.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1633458)
Unless you need the money put the scorecards away, just tuck them in a closet out of sight and forget about them. My guess is you'll regret getting rid of them if you do. Focus on the tickets for a while and when you get bored with that dig out your scorecards.

Not a bad idea either. There's no harm in that.

slidekellyslide 02-20-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1633460)
Not a bad idea either. There's no harm in that.

Yep, I have a few regrets along the way. Wish I'd never sold off my snapshot collection, but it is what it is.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1633461)
Yep, I have a few regrets along the way. Wish I'd never sold off my snapshot collection, but it is what it is.

Yea, I started just his card run.... then his pins.... then programs and stubs....Then magazines and yearbooks....then snap shots and newspapers. HAHA

It gets pricey. I have some great pieces, but don't know if I need them all.

I have a bunch of old Ruth Magazines too that I started collecting recently.

I gotta stop hahaha.

icollectDCsports 02-20-2017 05:33 PM

Ticket stubs self identify their date, so I would think it would be easier -- relatively speaking -- to collect a specific range of those than programs, as it will be difficult to find scored versions to fill out EVERY game on your want list. Of course, it will still be hard to get all the stubs you want. That may be a factor if you have your heart set on completing the run.

mcgwirecom 02-20-2017 06:15 PM

You seem like a nice guy so I will share this with you. I read your posts and I am thinking that you want to finish collecting a set of things quickly. Heres the thing, it takes a LOOOOOONG time to finsh collecting a set of anything like tickets or programs. I started collecting all of Mark McGwire's homerun tickets back in 1998. Guess what? I'm not done. I still need about 25 tickets. I know a guy collecting all Nolan Ryan games. He has been at it longer than me! Guess what? Not done. I know another guy collecting all Ripken's streak games. He's been at that longer than me. Guess what? Not finished, and he bought out a rivals collection not long ago. And all 3 of these collections are way more modern than the Jackie set you are looking to do. I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm just saying in this hobby there is no instant gratification. It all starts out well, but it slows up pretty quickly. Sometimes I go more than a year before I get a stub I need. Buckle up for the long haul if you are serious.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1633528)
Ticket stubs self identify their date, so I would think it would be easier -- relatively speaking -- to collect a specific range of those than programs, as it will be difficult to find scored versions to fill out EVERY game on your want list. Of course, it will still be hard to get all the stubs you want. That may be a factor if you have your heart set on completing the run.

Thanks. I agree. I may wait a week and see what happens but the programs (scored) seems a lot harder!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-20-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1633552)
You seem like a nice guy so I will share this with you. I read your posts and I am thinking that you want to finish collecting a set of things quickly. Heres the thing, it takes a LOOOOOONG time to finsh collecting a set of anything like tickets or programs. I started collecting all of Mark McGwire's homerun tickets back in 1998. Guess what? I'm not done. I still need about 25 tickets. I know a guy collecting all Nolan Ryan games. He has been at it longer than me! Guess what? Not done. I know another guy collecting all Ripken's streak games. He's been at that longer than me. Guess what? Not finished, and he bought out a rivals collection not long ago. And all 3 of these collections are way more modern than the Jackie set you are looking to do. I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm just saying in this hobby there is no instant gratification. It all starts out well, but it slows up pretty quickly. Sometimes I go more than a year before I get a stub I need. Buckle up for the long haul if you are serious.

Thanks I appreciate that! I'm not trying to complete it quickly, I just don't feel like I have the same passion for the programs as I do the stubs. Gonna give it some time before I make any decisions.

icollectDCsports 02-20-2017 07:47 PM

Also, it may be a fun -- albeit frustrating -- pursuit to try and get all of the programs or stubs on your list, but my advice is to not feel like individual items are not worth obtaining if you can't get them all. And while so much fun of collecting is the pursuit itself, do take the time to enjoy what you have. If you've purchased a lot of items in a short period of time, it's easy to forget to do that.

toyman55 02-21-2017 06:16 AM

Looking for Duke Snider home run stubs if you are selling any.