Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1948 Exhibits -- why no PSA? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249731)

Peter_Spaeth 01-05-2018 09:56 PM

1948 Exhibits -- why no PSA?
 
Does anyone know why PSA won't grade these? Or the hockey or Olympics ones?

clamendo 01-05-2018 10:09 PM

I think because many of the same exhibits may have been printed over multiple years and it’s difficult to discern


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 01-05-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clamendo (Post 1735897)
I think because many of the same exhibits may have been printed over multiple years and it’s difficult to discern


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my working theory, but it doesn't seem to have stopped SGC?

jefferyepayne 01-06-2018 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clamendo (Post 1735897)
I think because many of the same exhibits may have been printed over multiple years and it’s difficult to discern


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Carl. Here is what I have in my set notes:

The 1948 – 1952 Football Exhibit (catalog designation W468) set consists of 59 unnumbered player cards and a checklist that were produced over a five year period. It is believed that they were released in 32 card groups, primarily in the years 1948, 1950, and 1951. Some cards were printed in multiple years while others were not. The 1951 cards were all reprinted in sepia and distributed in 1952 as well. The year a card was originally printed can be determined by the height of the “Made in USA” text at the bottom of the card. The text on 1948 cards is 5/8”. The text on 1950 cards is 7/16”. The text on 1951 and 1952 cards is 1/2”. ESCO continued printing and selling these cards at least into the mid 50's, making it difficult to pinpoint the year that any particular card was printed.

jeff

samosa4u 01-07-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1735892)
Does anyone know why PSA won't grade these? Or the hockey or Olympics ones?

Only cards manufactured by ESCO (Exhibit Supply Co.) can be called "exhibits." Now the hockey ones we see floating around online were not made by ESCO - nobody really knows who made them! The only thing we do know is that they were made somewhere in Canada. They copied the baseball ones ESCO made as well. And finally, I am not even sure if they bought a licence from ESCO.

Peter_Spaeth 01-07-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1736309)
Only cards manufactured by ESCO (Exhibit Supply Co.) can be called "exhibits." Now the hockey ones we see floating around online were not made by ESCO - nobody really knows who made them! The only thing we do know is that they were made somewhere in Canada. They copied the baseball ones ESCO made as well. And finally, I am not even sure if they bought a licence from ESCO.

Yeah I have seen Howe and Richard and Beliveau. Good to know.

samosa4u 01-08-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1736319)
Yeah I have seen Howe and Richard and Beliveau. Good to know.

They are still pretty popular though, and I think that's because most collectors believe they were manufactured by ESCO. I remember I sold my NM Gordie Howe for around $300 USD, and I thought I asked for a little too much for it, but then PWCC sold a VG-EX example for $921 USD - I couldn't believe it!

TanksAndSpartans 01-09-2018 02:10 PM

I emailed PSA on this (specifically football exhibits) and they said "We only grade baseball exhibits – there have been counterfeiting issues with the other sport exhibits."

steve B 01-12-2018 11:52 AM

Sooo........

"We're the experts. Unless being an expert is hard, then we're not. "

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1737957)
Sooo........

"We're the experts. Unless being an expert is hard, then we're not. "

Similar to their stance on Star basketball. Although given their guaranty I guess I understand the cost-benefit analysis.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.