Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1911-15 wagner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247684)

minibatsman 11-17-2017 02:50 PM

1911-15 wagner

5 Attachment(s)
what's the odds of this 35 1/2 inch Wagner bat being real. I doubt it, what is the black stuff. I sanded most of it off.

there is writing on the side. no idea what it says . maybe you can make it out. i will try to make it out.

the bat is cracked with a old nail in it.

this bat came in the store 25 years ago.

I am building a new house. this requires digging through stuff. so I have posted some items I am finding. I thought were nice and I would like some more info about them. if you have some I would be happy to discuss. some of you may no I claim to no a little about mini bats. I also have some full size bats. that I am not really knowledgeable about them.

I have never considered this bat to be anything more than a early H&S bat. I was going to sand it and hang it on the wall. now I guess I need some more info?.

I have edited this post four times since I first put this bat on here. I have done this because questions were asked none on this page. I didn't no there was righting on it
until I was asked. I prefer open discussion's. so others could help me understand this bat regardless if you agree or disagree.

yanks12025 11-17-2017 07:59 PM

The writing is probably side writing from when it was sent back to the factory by a player or someone else. But i don't think the wagner stamping is real.

I was told by another collector that there was a seller or dealer many years ago that was stamping names into bats that came from the louisville bat vault sale. not sure of the whole story or if theres a name of the faker.

MGHPro 11-17-2017 08:53 PM

Agreed

murphusa 11-17-2017 09:29 PM

Too clean with sharp edges on lettering to be old

khkco4bls 11-18-2017 06:08 AM

Also looks like it was done with a burning tool not even a stamp

Mark 11-18-2017 07:35 AM

Even though I'd have to see the name and the label in the same photo to be certain, but it looks to me that the block letters are too big (too tall, too wide) to have been placed there prior to the early 1920's. Besides, Wagner was under contract starting in 1905: any Honus Wagner bat would have been a signature model after that year, no?

bgar3 11-18-2017 08:12 AM

I don’t have an opinion on the authenticity, but there was another Wagner at the same time who was quite good, the captain of the1912 Red Sox, Heinie Wagner.

minibatsman 11-18-2017 09:45 AM

1905-11

I think the label dates to 1905-1911 in that time period. I have block letter mini bats from that same time that are stamped with block lettering.
the earliest H&S signature bat I have I date to 1910 to15. those are rare decals are more common.
H&S used block lettering on the early mini,s . I have been chasing a 14 inch block letter Wagner for 15 years. should have got it when I seen it.

I pretty sure the righting on this bats says JOHN HONUS WAGNER.

MINI BATS.
all the early block letter mini bats I have it is clear each letter was individually stamped. 14 inch blond mini,s are some of the earliest H&S mini bats. I date them to the players actual playing time most are 1915 to 29?. 14 inch signature Wagner bats they exist they are rare. I don't no about full size bats. but in mini bat world Wagner's signature didn't show up on a bat until 1914?. that date doesn't include decal bats that I have seen dated 1907.

one reason signature minis don't exist may be because. mini bats didn't become common until 1913?

I am not trying to make this bat out to be more than what it really is. it is a decent conversation.
thanks guys.