Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's up with Mears??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195018)

perezfan 10-04-2014 08:40 PM

What's up with Mears???

Can anyone else get in to bid? SO irritating... and always happens at most critical pont in time :mad:

dherm360 10-04-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1330416)
Can anyone else get in to bid? SO irritating... and always happens at most critical pont in time :mad:

I bid and won a few items, then they reopened the auction, 15 minutes after the lots closed--a little upsetting

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:11 PM

Same issues.

Runscott 10-04-2014 09:12 PM

Dave - they kind of had to, as people could not get in to bid. Even with the re-opening, I spent the last 15 minutes failing to get opening bids in and now wonder if I'll be able to bid on items that I already have bids on.

I'll be glad in the morning, as I'm saving a lot of money. Consignors, on the other hand...

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:15 PM

Did they just close down the auction or did the site crash?

Runscott 10-04-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1330433)
Did they just close down the auction or did the site crash?

Site crashed - I was on the phone with Troy and it was definitely stuck.

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1330436)
Site crashed - I was on the phone with Troy and it was definitely stuck.

I'm interested in seeing how they handle this. One side will be fighting for the items will be auctioned off again while the other will want it to be how it is.

Runscott 10-04-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1330438)
I'm interested in seeing how they handle this. One side will be fighting for the items will be auctioned off again while the other will want it to be how it is.

Yeah, I just spoke with Troy again. The site (according to what I can tell) went down at 7:50 Central, the 15-minute rule still began at 8:00, ended at 8:15...then the site came back up. So basically, no bidding during the 15-minute rule. You really can't end an auction without having the 15-minute period, so there isn't any argument from auction winners that will hold up.

We'll probably get an email in a minute, announcing the re-opening for the 15-minute period.

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1330439)
Yeah, I just spoke with Troy again. The site (according to what I can tell) went down at 7:50 Central, the 15-minute rule still began at 8:00, ended at 8:15...then the site came back up. So basically, no bidding during the 15-minute rule.

We'll probably get an email in a minute, announcing the re-opening for the 15-minute rule, at least.

I managed to place a bid during the 15 minute rule.

Runscott 10-04-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1330441)
I managed to place a bid during the 15 minute rule.

Then it makes even less sense - that means that the 15-minute rule didn't actually work. When I checked the auction when I finally got in at 8:17, it was closed.

reopened - 46:18 left

bobfreedman 10-04-2014 09:29 PM

Mears

We are aware that there is an issue and we have not yet been able to isolate the problem yet. We are working to resolve it as quickly as possible and in. The meantime Troy has extended the closing to begin at 11:00pm (Central). I apologize for the issue and I will update this post as we figure out what is wrong. Thanks for your understanding.

Bob Freedman
CEO, SimpleAuctionSite

Update, we have reset the application pool (a soft reboot) and it seems to have resolved the issue

dherm360 10-04-2014 09:29 PM

I placed several bids during the 15 minutes---I had no trouble with the site at all the entire night

bobfreedman 10-04-2014 09:34 PM

Mears

Quote:

Originally Posted by dherm360 (Post 1330446)
I placed several bids during the 15 minutes---I had no trouble with the site at all the entire night

This may be because we have over 20 servers that support all of our customers, you may have been on a server that had no issues while others were not.

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1330445)
We are aware that there is an issue and we have not yet been able to isolate the problem yet. We are working to resolve it as quickly as possible and in. The meantime Troy has extended the closing to begin at 11:00pm (Central). I apologize for the issue and I will update this post as we figure out what is wrong. Thanks for your understanding.

Bob Freedman
CEO, SimpleAuctionSite

Update, we have reset the application pool (a soft reboot) and it seems to have resolved the issue

Nope, whenever I click a subcategory it still crashes.

Runscott 10-04-2014 09:40 PM

Same for me, but I can go in through direct 'outbid' links, or by scrolling through the entire auction.

bobfreedman 10-04-2014 09:46 PM

Mears

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1330451)
Nope, whenever I click a subcategory it still crashes.

That is now fixed, thanks

MikeKam 10-04-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1330456)
That is now fixed, thanks

Thanks, everything seems to be working properly now.

Jim65 10-05-2014 04:36 AM

I didn't realize there was a problem, I put a bid in last saturday and it held up, I guess I have to wait for the invoice to be sure I actually won.

MikeKam 01-03-2015 08:39 PM

Happening again, I wonder what the problem is as it seems to be a recurring issue.

TATSR 01-03-2015 08:51 PM

Me too

And it's not only slow, I'm getting stuff like this:

My max bid $10
Current bid $0
Number of bids 7

Sorry, you have been outbid on this lot.

UnVme7 01-03-2015 08:53 PM

This, along with "other" things, gets reaaal old...quick...

MikeKam 01-03-2015 08:57 PM

I'm getting somewhat of the same problem as you. My max bid says it is his higher than the current bid but it says I'm outbid haha.

UnVme7 01-03-2015 09:08 PM

I thought it was supposed to initially close 10pm central time now? Looking at it right now, the time will expire at 11pm central time. Haha, sheeesh...

MikeKam 01-03-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1362072)
I thought it was supposed to initially close 10pm central time now? Looking at it right now, the time will expire at 11pm central time. Haha, sheeesh...

Yeah I just noticed that too, seems like the site is starting to function properly now though so it just gives others a chance to bid.

GoCubsGo32 01-03-2015 09:23 PM

I had my bid in before it crashed.It's not accurately reflecting the right bids or amount.When I went to "My account" it kinda reflects I'm the high bidder...? Really confusing and frustrating.

Runscott 01-03-2015 09:30 PM

I have bids on 5 items, but it's currently too slow to deal with. That could be partially my internet connection, as I use Comcast.

Finally got a 6th bid in, but now it's really hell. Other than extremely slow page-loading, getting signed in and staying in is very difficult - entering password multiple times and being returned to the same screen, then having to login again when I hit the 'bidding' button.

Runscott 01-03-2015 09:58 PM

I get emails when I am outbid, but can't even check my status on the Mears site. Hopefully there aren't too many consigners getting screwed because bidders like me have finally had enough.

MikeKam 01-03-2015 09:59 PM

Try using your phone if you can

Runscott 01-03-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1362083)
Try using your phone if you can

nevermind. Contradicted myself in the same sentence.

Have a nice evening Mike.

MikeKam 01-03-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1362084)
nevermind. Contradicted myself in the same sentence.

Have a nice evening Mike.

You as well Scott :)

GoCubsGo32 01-03-2015 10:04 PM

I'm giving up....it's getting late and I don't have the time or patience for it anymore.

The lot I'm bidding on isn't updating at all. So I have no clue still what the current price is, or if my bid made it and I'm the high bidder(?) or what.

Runscott 01-03-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 (Post 1362087)
I'm giving up....it's getting late and I don't have the time or patience for it anymore.

The lot I'm bidding on isn't updating at all. So I have no clue still what the current price is, or if my bid made it and I'm the high bidder(?) or what.

I wasn't alone? Imagine that :confused: Maybe Mike will call bids in for us.

MikeKam 01-03-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1362089)
I wasn't alone? Imagine that :confused: Maybe Mike will call bids in for us.

Scott, I meant using data on a phone rather than actually calling, it worked for me for some reason.

Runscott 01-03-2015 10:20 PM

Thanks Mike - I thought I had rubbed you wrong and not realized it. I do that quite often :)

Quite frankly, I'm worn out. I think a lot of people bid when they are bored and it is easy to do so, whereas they would skip the auction altogether if it has a lot of issues. This one is like that for me. If I could get my page up showing the status of each lot, I would almost certainly throw bids in every now and then.

Example: I checked out H&S a couple of weeks ago on closing night, purely because I happened to be on my computer and ran across the link a few hours before it closed. I ended up sending them a check for over $4,000. If their software had the problems that Mears is having tonight, I wouldn't have won anything. That could be read as me being stupid, or it could be read as H&S successfully inducing bidding through making it easy - similar to the McDonald's lady asking me if I want a hot apple pie that I didn't realize I wanted.

Mears - I might have eaten a hot apple pie tonight.

bobfreedman 01-03-2015 10:23 PM

Issues

We have determined that there was a denial of service attack against MEARS's web site. We do not yet know who currently were responsible but we will find out sometime tomorrow. We have since shut down those IP addresses that were causing the outages and things seem to be running smoother. If you are a legitimate bidder and cannot get in, please let me know by emailing me at bob@simpleauctionsite.com and give me your name and email address and I will reinstate your IP address. I apologize for the issues you may have incurred.

Bob Freedman bob@simpleauctionsite.com
CEO Simple Auction Site
919-824-9501

MikeKam 01-03-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1362093)
Thanks Mike - I thought I had rubbed you wrong and not realized it. I do that quite often :)

Quite frankly, I'm worn out. I think a lot of people bid when they are bored and it is easy to do so, whereas they would skip the auction altogether if it has a lot of issues. This one is like that for me. If I could get my page up showing the status of each lot, I would almost certainly throw bids in every now and then.

Example: I checked out H&S a couple of weeks ago on closing night, purely because I happened to be on my computer and ran across the link a few hours before it closed. I ended up sending them a check for over $4,000. If their software had the problems that Mears is having tonight, I wouldn't have won anything. That could be read as me being stupid, or it could be read as H&S successfully inducing bidding through making it easy - similar to the McDonald's lady asking me if I want a hot apple pie that I didn't realize I wanted.

Mears - I might have eaten a hot apple pie tonight.

No problem haha, I'm 20 years old, phoning in a bid did not even cross my mind ;)

Runscott 01-03-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 1362095)
No problem haha, I'm 20 years old, phoning in a bid did not even cross my mind ;)

Phoning in bids is actually fun. I miss the short personal interaction with guys like Barry Sloate and Lew Lipset. I'm sorry that you never got a chance to experience that...and the amazing esoteric items that helped many of us expand our interests to things other than cards.

I did call and talk with Troy during the Mears auction referenced at the beginning of this thread. He was very helpful and working hard to get things back to normal. This time I wasn't up for that.

MikeKam 01-03-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1362097)
Phoning in bids is actually fun. I miss the short personal interaction with guys like Barry Sloate and Lew Lipset. I'm sorry that you never got a chance to experience that...and the amazing esoteric items that helped many of us expand our interests to things other than cards.

I did call and talk with Troy during the Mears auction referenced at the beginning of this thread. He was very helpful and working hard to get things back to normal. This time I wasn't up for that.

I'm assuming it was more reliable but a lot more hectic than online bidding :)

drcy 01-03-2015 11:01 PM

The first online auctions I participated in were via email. Get email updates in your inbox and email in your bids.

Exhibitman 01-04-2015 04:05 AM

Damned North Koreans...or just someone retaliating for the dozens of emails from MEARS every auction cycle?

Leon 01-04-2015 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1362127)
Damned North Koreans...or just someone retaliating for the dozens of emails from MEARS every auction cycle?

.. At any rate, I tried to get in twice last night but completely gave up. If there was something I had to have I would have tried more. But since I couldn't get in and didn't look previously I didn't know anything, pure ignorance as usual :).

parker1b2 01-04-2015 07:13 AM

I also tried to get in last night because I wanted to bid on 3 items in particular. All 3 went for below I was willing to spend, one I thought real cheap. Anyway was having trouble even pulling up the auction because it was running way too slow so I gave up also.

GoCubsGo32 01-04-2015 10:23 AM

I'm still wondering if I won...? I tried calling but they are closed..any guesses? It's like my bid went through..but doesn't reflected it? Am I reading this right?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ps0e768753.jpg

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-LOT84894.aspx

Runscott 01-04-2015 10:41 AM

I was happy to see that final bids on all 6 items I was involved in, were higher than I planned to go. So no big deal I suppose.

I was interested in the Mantle 1951-60 index bat, but surprised they didn't mention that the weight was significantly higher than anything he ever ordered during the years when he ordered that model, and that it was an inch short. Shouldn't that be in the description? Maybe I'm wrong on this :confused: Bat experts?

dherm360 01-04-2015 11:11 AM

I tried for 2 hours to get in and just gave up. This is two auctions in a row that I participated with Mears that had severe issues

earlywynnfan 01-04-2015 12:34 PM

I got lucky, I was sitting at work last night. After an hour or so of frustration, the system seemed to start working well for me about 11 pm. I must say, everybody must have given up, because I had bid on 10 lower-priced items and didn't get outbid on a single one.

Runscott 01-04-2015 12:45 PM

Congrats - anything interesting?

I liked the prices of a lot of the game-used baseballs, but wasn't confident enough in the provenance. I was hoping the Joe Jackson decal bat and the KC Maris baseball would slip through the cracks, but no luck.

earlywynnfan 01-04-2015 04:05 PM

For $43, I thought this ball pitched by Bunning was pretty cool (I know, grain of salt.) Considering he lost to Bob Gibson in this game, I'll take it.
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...entoryid=84667

But I'm most excited about the 1947 Bob Feller signed ball. I know, it's Bob Feller. And many of the purists will again post that it's personalized and on a side panel, but come on, this ball dates to the meat of his career!
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...entoryid=84696

Runscott 01-04-2015 04:11 PM

In my opinion, both were great purchases - if you want a Feller autograph, I don't think this one can be beat.

btcarfagno 01-04-2015 05:33 PM

I was super frustrated as well. Tried one last time right around 11:00 PM and got a bid in. Things seemed to go smooth after that. Missed out on a Jordy Mercer game worn jersey from 2013 but got an umpire signed ball of Rosy Ryan and Frank Tabbachi. Ryan was a key player on the four straight NY Giants pennant winners from 1921-1924. Got it at a very nice price as well. Not many Rosy Ryan signed balls out there gotta figure.

Tom C