Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Masters (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268003)

pokerplyr80 04-14-2019 12:03 PM

Masters

Who's watching? One for the ages.

Jim65 04-14-2019 01:19 PM

I watched and will never understand why people still root for this guy. But good for him, he deserved to win.

pokerplyr80 04-14-2019 02:21 PM

I don't understand why people wouldn't root for him. But it was exciting to watch either way. I read earlier in the week some guy bet 85k at 14 to 1 on Tiger so I bet he was a lot more excited than most.

clydepepper 04-14-2019 03:03 PM

Obviously, it's the Year of the Tiger:

First, Clemson wins the National Championship

Then, Auburn get to its first Final Four.

...and now, the Greatest Golfer ever returns.

too bad actual Tigers are endangered and may become extinct in our lifetimes.
=

Peter_Spaeth 04-14-2019 03:24 PM

Mother Goose was wrong about Humpty Dumpty. Incredible.

Whether you like Tiger Woods or hate him is really beside the point. This man was beyond dead in his sport. And now, into his 40s, after almost a decade and a half, he has won another green jacket. For me it's right up there with Watson at age 59 just one putt away from winning the British Open.

frankbmd 04-14-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1870256)

too bad actual Tigers are endangered and may become extinct in our lifetimes.
=

Gee I hadn't heard that about Detroit.

Peter_Spaeth 04-15-2019 03:32 PM

I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest in this remarkable triumph and comeback. Oh well, back to the Mets game or whatever.:eek:

pokerplyr80 04-15-2019 05:35 PM

Same here Peter. This will go down as one of the greatest individual achievements in the history of sports. I'd say it's even more impressive than Jack in 86 due to the fact that Tiger couldn't even walk a couple of years ago and was written off long ago.

Peter_Spaeth 04-15-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1870522)
Same here Peter. This will go down as one of the greatest individual achievements in the history of sports. I'd say it's even more impressive than Jack in 86 due to the fact that Tiger couldn't even walk a couple of years ago and was written off long ago.

Yeah, Nicklaus never really fell out of the upper echelon of players, was his win at age 46 a surprise yes but a shock not really. Woods, on the other hand, was completely dead and gone. To have gone from that mug shot a few years back to this, is miraculous and then some. A moment for the ages IMO.

Speaking of Nicklaus, to me perhaps his most impressive tournament ever was his 5th place in Augusta in the late 90s at age 57 or something. His body was pretty much gone and his swing was a ghost of itself. But the skill level, and the golf intelligence, my God.

pokerplyr80 04-15-2019 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea I saw this one Facebook earlier. Hope no one takes this as a political comment, just funny in my opinion.

TUM301 04-16-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1870526)
Yeah, Nicklaus never really fell out of the upper echelon of players, was his win at age 46 a surprise yes but a shock not really. Woods, on the other hand, was completely dead and gone. To have gone from that mug shot a few years back to this, is miraculous and then some. A moment for the ages IMO.

Speaking of Nicklaus, to me perhaps his most impressive tournament ever was his 5th place in Augusta in the late 90s at age 57 or something. His body was pretty much gone and his swing was a ghost of itself. But the skill level, and the golf intelligence, my God.

Not a big golf follower, but Woods does make it much more interesting for casual fans like me. Did hear sports talk here and they mentioned Jack was 17`th starting that Sunday and down 6 strokes going into the last 9 holes and still won, amazing, especially at 46 !

rats60 04-16-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1870522)

Disagree. Jack had to shoot 7 under on the last 10 holes to win and that included a bogey. On 15-16-17-18, Jack went eagle-birdie-birdie-par to close out the tournament. Tiger went birdie-birdie-par-bogey.

Woods missed 2 years to injuries, but his last 2 majors last year he finished 6th and 2nd. It was expected that he would be competing for wins in the majors this year, especially the first 3. Jack was pretty much done and came from nowhere on the last 10 holes to win.

Peter_Spaeth 04-16-2019 08:40 AM

Nicklaus' round was more remarkable, no question. But Woods' overall comeback out of the gutter into which he had fallen was, to me, much more compelling.

pokerplyr80 04-16-2019 01:03 PM

Plus the birdie on 16 basically won the tournament. If he needed another birdie or even two pars he probably would have gotten them. But he did what he needed to do to get the win against a crowded and talented leader board. Not taking anything away from 86 I still believe this will go down as the greatest comeback and performance in Masters history. And even if it doesn't it sure was fun to watch.

GoldenAge50s 04-16-2019 02:56 PM

Big golf fan---Masters my favorite tourney of all, been watching it for many yrs! This one outshone them all!

Love him or hate him, the excitement of anticipation as to whether he could win again was electric!

megalimey 04-17-2019 10:08 AM

Tiger !!! Tiger !!! Tiger !!! Tiger !!!

TIGER !!! TIGER !!! TIGER !!! TIGER !!!
HEARING THOSE endless CHANTS as he walked of the green sent shivers down my spine , and the image of the group hugs with his kids were priceless.
WOW
check out the 4 minutes of CBS coverage AFTER Tiger PUTTS OUT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woo...165656910.html

stlcardsfan 04-18-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1870631)
Nicklaus' round was more remarkable, no question. But Woods' overall comeback out of the gutter into which he had fallen was, to me, much more compelling.

One of my golfing buddies used to say, "Nicklaus didn't play that back 9, God came down and did." Minus the bogey I guess.

Peter_Spaeth 04-18-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlcardsfan (Post 1871220)
One of my golfing buddies used to say, "Nicklaus didn't play that back 9, God came down and did." Minus the bogey I guess.

The eagle on 15 was one of the great moments in the history of the game, IMO. At that point you just knew he was going to win. And at the other end of the scale, what a huge blown lead by Seve. I still remember the SI article quipping how on the 11th tee he was phoning ahead his measurements for the green jacket.