Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Show your Hunt and RMY photo wins (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257560)

Runscott 07-16-2018 03:32 PM

Show your Hunt and RMY photo wins

2 great photo auctions just ended. I'm curious where all these gems ended up.

btcarfagno 07-16-2018 04:42 PM

I was bottom feeding for the most part. Got a few Conlan HOF umpires, some cheap Wilbert Robinson's, a Frank Chance with a chipped corner and the Admiral Schlei Thompson T 205 image.

The only big-ish one I got was the Cobb Brunner's Bread image.

Also got a couple cheap action shots of Martin Dihigo as well as the Babe Didrikson/Joe Hauser images from RMY.

whitey19thcentury 07-16-2018 05:28 PM

In the Hunt Auction, I won lots

51, 92, 97, 105, 126, 355 (the Phillippe T205 image), 389, 423, and 602. The non-Pirates related images are for resale. If anyone is interested on here, let me know.

Runscott 07-16-2018 05:30 PM

Tom, I was the high internet bidder on the Brunner's Cobb, but set my limit at $1,200. I think it was a good pick-up at what you paid, I just didn't have the dough. My plan was to clean up the messy bits of the background...after consulting you guys of course.

My favorite pick-up was the Gonzales catcher-gear Conlon.

Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1795416)
I was bottom feeding for the most part. Got a few Conlan HOF umpires, some cheap Wilbert Robinson's, a Frank Chance with a chipped corner and the Admiral Schlei Thompson T 205 image.

The only big-ish one I got was the Cobb Brunner's Bread image.

Also got a couple cheap action shots of Martin Dihigo as well as the Babe Didrikson/Joe Hauser images from RMY.

btcarfagno 07-16-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1795433)
Tom, I was the high internet bidder on the Brunner's Cobb, but set my limit at $1,200. I think it was a good pick-up at what you paid, I just didn't have the dough. My plan was to clean up the messy bits of the background...after consulting you guys of course.

My favorite pick-up was the Gonzales catcher-gear Conlon.

Scott

Are photos more like movie posters in as much as restoration is fine, and sometimes preferable, if it is disclosed?

MartyFromCANADA 07-16-2018 05:44 PM

I got 3 Gibson's from Hunt. (Not the t205 image - under-bidder)

Runscott 07-16-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1795437)
Are photos more like movie posters in as much as restoration is fine, and sometimes preferable, if it is disclosed?

I believe so. In the case of your Cobb it used to be a clean print, then the grey masking was added, then someone apparently got parts of it wet and smudged it. To me, cleaning up the smudged area is fine - even cleaning off all the grey masking would be okay if you could do so without damaging the emulsion. Many of the more expensive photos in this auction have had the masking removed (per Hunt auction descriptions) and it didn't seem to affect prices adversely.

I always clean off anything on a print that is visually unappealing. Here are some of my wins from today (I won't be cleaning up Al).

TCMA 07-16-2018 07:51 PM

Congrats to all the winners! That Gonzalez shot is among my favorites within the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forever Young 07-16-2018 09:56 PM

Mr. Meyers

T205 image

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...pswqzk3rae.jpg

Scott Garner 07-17-2018 05:55 AM

RMY winnings

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats to the other RMY winners.

I ended up winning Lot # 587: 1959 Harvey Haddix, "12 Inning Perfect Game" Congratulations for Hard Luck Loser. It's a photo of Pirates Manager Danny Murtaugh congratulating Haddix on the game that some feel was arguably the greatest game ever pitched. Haddix became the first and only pitcher to hurl over 12 inning of perfect ball before allowing a hit and eventually losing the game.

Original images to this game are scarce & this is one that I had never seen before. I'm thrilled to have been able to add it to my advanced no-hitter collection.

Bpm0014 07-17-2018 07:00 AM

The photos in these 2 auctions were unreal. Some of the greatest photos to come to auction in a while. I won 4 Horners and a Cobb/McGraw from RMY...

Jobu 07-17-2018 07:41 AM

If the winner of the Patterson Horner from RMY is a board member I would appreciate a pm.

Looking forward to seeing some more pick ups!

pherbener 07-17-2018 09:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I went a little crazy in Hunt. Some additions to my Matty/Giants collection.

whitey19thcentury 07-17-2018 10:18 AM

Paul, awesome Matty pics! I love the one of him at-bat.

Side note, if anyone on here won the Greenberg/Kiner photo in RMY, please PM me.

TCMA 07-17-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pherbener (Post 1795610)

Congrats on those! Enjoy them. Donlin receiving the gold bat is a favorite of mine.

Bicem 07-17-2018 12:39 PM

Congrats Paul, your Matty collection is quickly becoming next level.

packs 07-17-2018 12:52 PM

I loved this photo of Hack. Had to have it:

https://rmyauctions.com/images_items/item_35056_1.jpg

pherbener 07-17-2018 01:20 PM

Thanks guys! I agree Andrew. I really like that one too!

Dewey 07-17-2018 02:24 PM

Shipping my oldest up to university this summer. Have to sit some of these out. The MLK Montgomery bus boycott was a special piece. The Campanella and Newcombe Nashua DOdgers was a cool photo.

Great pickups gents. Some absolute gems this go around.

JeremyW 07-17-2018 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somehow I missed out on even knowing Hunt Auctions had all these great photos at auction. Congrats to all on some amazing photos. I did manage to pick up & fill a big hole in my collection last weekend from RMY.

Runscott 07-17-2018 04:45 PM

Jeremy - I was dying to start a thread about it, but common sense won out :)

Runscott 07-17-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pherbener (Post 1795610)

These are all great Matty pics, but the 'batting' one was my favorite - I love the early action shots!

I put in three internet bids the other day and had to miss the live auction. Surprisingly, two of them held up. I guess the big-buck photo guys quit after Day 1?

JeremyW 07-17-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1795727)
Jeremy - I was dying to start a thread about it, but common sense won out :)

Please tell me that there is not a problem with it. I've been trying to add a Josh Gibson piece to my collection for quite a while & it would crush me.

Runscott 07-17-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1795732)
Please tell me that there is not a problem with it. I've been trying to add a Josh Gibson piece to my collection for quite a while & it would crush me.

Sorry - I miscommunicated. I meant I was dying to start a thread about the Hunt auction so that we could talk about all the great photos, but I decided not to warn any extra bidders! I know nothing about your photo, but it looks nice.

JeremyW 07-17-2018 06:32 PM

I get it.

pherbener 07-17-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1795709)
Somehow I missed out on even knowing Hunt Auctions had all these great photos at auction. Congrats to all on some amazing photos. I did manage to pick up & fill a big hole in my collection last weekend from RMY.

Great pickup Jeremy! I need to add a Gibson to my collection too someday.

pherbener 07-17-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1795728)
These are all great Matty pics, but the 'batting' one was my favorite - I love the early action shots!

I put in three internet bids the other day and had to miss the live auction. Surprisingly, two of them held up. I guess the big-buck photo guys quit after Day 1?

Thanks Scott! Love the Mel Ott's!

JeremyW 07-17-2018 07:41 PM

Paul- Thanks. I missed out on a few Gibson photos lately & decided it was time.

eastonfalcon19 07-17-2018 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this Ray Schalk photo.

T206Jim 07-17-2018 09:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I picked up a couple of photos used for cards. A circa 1908 photo used for the 1911 Baseball Bats Bender and a circa 1905 Thompson photo used for the D304 Lajoie.

Attachment 323216 Attachment 323217

Attachment 323218 Attachment 323219

packs 07-18-2018 07:16 AM

I forgot I won this Jess Willard photo too. I can never pass up a Bain:

https://rmyauctions.com/images_items/item_34938_1.jpg

TCMA 07-20-2018 07:57 AM

There is more to come from Hunt and the Photo File archive. Stay tuned :) .

bobfreedman 07-20-2018 09:25 AM

Smokey Joe

1 Attachment(s)
Paul Thompson

TCMA 07-20-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1796463)
Paul Thompson

Bob, congrats on that one. Beauty :) .

pherbener 07-20-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1796463)
Paul Thompson

You outbid me on that one Bob! Great image!!!

perezfan 07-20-2018 03:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Was happy to win a couple of T205 images (Paul Thompson)…

Gaspar and Archer

ValKehl 07-20-2018 09:54 PM

I won this photo of the Senators' pitchers for the 1924 World Series in RMY:
https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=34998

I've long owned a similar photo of the Senators' pitchers for the 1925 World Series which I will probably sell, as my collecting focus is the 1924 Senators.

Bicem 07-20-2018 10:05 PM

The t205 images really are incredible. Thompson had serious skill.

Dewey 07-20-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1796682)

Thinking the same thing. Great stuff.

TCMA 07-21-2018 05:51 AM

Show your Hunt and RMY photo wins

Quote:

Many collectors may not realize there are also dozens, if not hundreds more Paul Thompson portraits out there that did not appear on T205’s but are just as great.

For example, the shot on the right is a T205 image, shot on the left is not:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a89d188d1.jpg

sphere and ash 07-21-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Paul Thompson was not a photographer; he was a businessman who ran a large photo agency. None of the images attributed to Thompson were actually taken by him. The images used to make the T205 set were probably taken by a dozen or more different photographers shooting on assignment.

Runscott 07-21-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphere and ash (Post 1796850)
Paul Thompson was not a photographer; he was a businessman who ran a large photo agency. None of the images attributed to Thompson were actually taken by him. The images used to make the T205 set were probably taken by a dozen or more different photographers shooting on assignment.

There is a post in this thread that says something similar; however, no reference to where he got his information: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88365

Forever Young 07-21-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Can you please share your exact reference for this?

TCMA 07-21-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1796895)

Surprisingly, there is very little info out there on Paul Thompson, though it is known he ran a news photo service. I’m under the impression he was the actual photographer for at least some of the T205 images, as referenced in this 2009 Smithsonian article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...j2D9YY0Ue7z.99

Quote:

The gold borders sported another enhancement—portraits based on a remarkable series of contemplative close-ups by a New York City-based freelance photographer named Paul Thompson. Thompson, who built his reputation and his studio on a sitting with Mark Twain, would hire others to take pictures for him, but the gold-border portraits are attributed to him because they alone are copyrighted under his name.

CobbSpikedMe 07-21-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1795529)

I'm a little late to the party but this photo is awesome. You can actually see the photographer standing in front of Meyers in the reflection in his pupils. That's cool.

TCMA 07-21-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1796919)
I'm a little late to the party but this photo is awesome. You can actually see the photographer standing in front of Meyers in the reflection in his pupils. That's cool.

For sure! This is actually the case with many of the portraits. Neat stuff.

bobfreedman 07-21-2018 10:51 PM

Thompson

Quote:

I heard the same thing a few years ago but heard it was Bainthat had many photographers working for his service. I find it difficult to believe that several/many peoples all worked for the same company and all the images look and feel the same way? If you look at all the Paul Thompson photos, they all have the same feel and look. How could have several people all manage that? This also goes for Bain as well? Just curious

bgar3 07-22-2018 06:01 AM

Bob, I once had your new Thompson Joe Wood image, along with a corresponding image of Mathewson with a bat, almost as if taken together.
On The Who was the photographer question I can’t add actual facts or citations, but I can say that as a collector of both Bain and Thompson images in the 80’s and 90’s, before the current craze, all the collectors I knew accepted that the photos were taken by various photographers working for a larger agency. Also I think you can notice quite a difference in some of the Thompson’s which can sometimes be just out of focus. For what it is worth, the early feeling amoung collectors ranked Thompson behind Bain and Conlan in value. All three were of the highest order. There was a show of their work just after the famous Baseball Magazine sale, in New York I believe, but I no longer have my photos or material.
Finally, if Sphere and Ash is who I think he is, he used to possess one of the 3 greatest photo collections I have ever seen and was considered one of the most knowledgeable collectors of the time, who was very helpful to a fellow collector with a small budget.
At the risk of sounding like an Old Timer, which I quess I am, this was all taking place when you could get 100’s of these photos at one time. We would sometimes hold drafts of collections we had purchased, with later trades etc.
the collections that I know are still out there are truly amazing.

sphere and ash 07-22-2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1796895)

Many years ago, I found an obituary for Thompson that stated directly that he was not a photographer. I can't find it at the moment, but I do see obituaries that state that he was a writer who saw the business opportunity and founded the photo agency a few years after graduating from Yale [Thompson died in 1940]. There is no contemporary source that states that Thompson was a photographer, which would be quite odd for someone whose name was so widely published.

If you look at the T205 images, you'll see that each city has its own distinct look, supporting the conjecture that each city was taken by a different photographer. The Philadelphia A's photographer, for example, has many of his subjects look away from the camera; the New York Giants' photographer has everyone stare directly into the lens.

Bain was trained as a wet plate photographer, but he was no longer a photojournalist by the time the Bain agency was active.

Thanks, bgar3. I've been following your posts about your Red Stocking and early baseball collection. Glad you're back.

Forever Young 07-22-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 1796955)
Bob, I once had your new Thompson Joe Wood image, along with a corresponding image of Mathewson with a bat, almost as if taken together.
On The Who was the photographer question I can’t add actual facts or citations, but I can say that as a collector of both Bain and Thompson images in the 80’s and 90’s, before the current craze, all the collectors I knew accepted that the photos were taken by various photographers working for a larger agency. Also I think you can notice quite a difference in some of the Thompson’s which can sometimes be just out of focus. For what it is worth, the early feeling amoung collectors ranked Thompson behind Bain and Conlan in value. All three were of the highest order. There was a show of their work just after the famous Baseball Magazine sale, in New York I believe, but I no longer have my photos or material.
Finally, if Sphere and Ash is who I think he is, he used to possess one of the 3 greatest photo collections I have ever seen and was considered one of the most knowledgeable collectors of the time, who was very helpful to a fellow collector with a small budget.
At the risk of sounding like an Old Timer, which I quess I am, this was all taking place when you could get 100’s of these photos at one time. We would sometimes hold drafts of collections we had purchased, with later trades etc.
the collections that I know are still out there are truly amazing.

Recent craze? Paul Thompson has been getting higher prices(particular in ruth) for a long while now. For good reason, they are beautiful images. Some of them rivaled by no one.
To say Paul Thompson was in no way a photographer and that he took zero photos ever, is just not factual. There is no way of knowing this and the library of Congress disagrees.
Even with a 1940 obit saying something, it was probably written by someone born in the 1800s. Photography was not a glamorous job. Talking in absolutes when absolutes aren’t known, or can never be proven seems odd to me. My guess is neither of you have Paul Thompson centric collections :-)
In my opinion, Paul Thompson credited photos are some of the greatest shots in baseball history. Some are perfect some are less than perfect just like Conlon, Bain, Van Oeyen etc..
I enjoy Some more than others but appreciate all of them.