Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NYC Dinner Thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255477)

barrysloate 06-02-2018 02:46 PM

Michael- Steve H suggested this restaurant, Haymaker, on West 29th St. Looks like it will fill the bill of not being too pricey, more a comfort food place. I'm not sure I even want to pick a place- would you like to? But please at least look at Haymaker and let's consider it.

http://www.haymakernyc.com/

MVSNYC 06-02-2018 02:56 PM

Looks decent. Nice spread of Bourbons.

I'm easy...as long as the food, drinks and atmosphere are fantastic. ;)

Also, we gotta make sure any of these places can accommodate our size group...that'll be the deciding factor.

barrysloate 06-02-2018 03:13 PM

I will give Haymaker a call Monday and get a feel of how they can seat say a group of around 12-15. I'll report back afterwards.

Gary Dunaier 06-03-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1782839)
If we reserve a table for twelve and you are the thirteenth guy to show up, you won't go home hungry, we'll make sure you eat a square meal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....gL._SY450_.jpg

:D

barrysloate 06-04-2018 01:59 PM

I just called Haymaker on 29th Street and was told that they have room for large parties such as ours. For more than ten people, I would have to email the manager to make arrangements. And the woman said if one or two extra show up, it will be no problem accommodating everyone. That is all good news.

Before I make a reservation, I'd like to wait at least a day to see if we have any other suggestions for a venue. I will also do a head count and list everyone who so far has committed. If you don't see your name on the list and want to come, just post on this thread and I will add it (no PM's or emails, please, let's keep everything in one place).

There is a link to Haymaker at post #101. It looks friendly and casual, and not super pricey. I will still listen to others. Now is the time as we should have a reservation locked in over the next couple of days.

barrysloate 06-05-2018 09:08 AM

Okay, no suggestions to counter Haymaker. So we are now confirmed for June 14, and I am going to choose Haymaker as our restaurant. It will be a first for all of us, but what is the worst that can happen? I would say let's meet for drinks at 6:00, and we can set a 6:30 time for a sit down dinner.

Now in order to make a reservation, we need a fairly accurate headcount. Again, if we are off by a couple it won't matter, but I think it's fair to ask people for a commitment.

Here is what we have so far for sure:

Judy and Barry S.
Charlotte and Ted Z.
Michael S
Steve H
Pete U
Jason S
Jon W
Judson H
Carl P
Keith T

Now we have a few, such as Jamie B and Judson H, who committed to our first date but haven't done so for the 14th. If you are still in please post. I received to emails, from Aaron and Keith T., and I have a friend Michael O who reads the board but doesn't post but may join us. Also Scott R was a maybe. It would be a great help to let me know for sure.

So we have 10 commits but too many maybes to make the reservation. Let's say everyone who still wants to come to please post by 3:00 PM tomorrow, and then I will contact the restaurant. Everyone is welcome so all you have to do is post and you're in. And if I accidentally missed your name please let me know. Thanks all!

judsonhamlin 06-05-2018 09:25 AM

I'm in for the 14th, so you can add one to the reservation

barrysloate 06-05-2018 09:26 AM

Great Judd. I'll keep updating the list as names come in.

HobokenJon 06-05-2018 07:20 PM

I’m in.

barrysloate 06-06-2018 07:39 AM

Just a reminder that I will be contacting the restaurant later this afternoon to make a reservation. If you want to join us and your name does not appear on the list at post #106, now is the time to let me know. Again, everyone is welcome. Don't be shy.

KingFisk 06-06-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1784056)
Just a reminder that I will be contacting the restaurant later this afternoon to make a reservation. If you want to join us and your name does not appear on the list at post #106, now is the time to let me know. Again, everyone is welcome. Don't be shy.

I am in, too.

barrysloate 06-06-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1784089)
I am in, too.

We got you up to 100%. Look forward to meeting you.

KingFisk 06-06-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1784092)
We got you up to 100%. Look forward to meeting you.

Looking forward to meeting all of you as well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-06-2018 12:16 PM

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploa...-out-gif-2.gif

barrysloate 06-06-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1784131)

You're out of the contest?

barrysloate 06-06-2018 12:50 PM

Okay, looks like we have thirteen commits plus the possibility of one or two more. I am about to contact the restaurant to make a reservation. I'll request seating for about fifteen, with drinks at 6:00 and dinner at 6:30. I'll get back to you after they respond.

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-06-2018 01:18 PM

LOL actually he just says "I'm Out" in that clip. My wife's last day of school is the 13th it's just too hectic, sorry it didn't work out would love to meet some more board members.

barrysloate 06-06-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1784154)
LOL actually he just says "I'm Out" in that clip. My wife's last day of school is the 13th it's just too hectic, sorry it didn't work out would love to meet some more board members.

Yes, I know Seinfeld very well.:)

Sorry you can't make it. There will always be another dinner down the road.

barrysloate 06-06-2018 03:37 PM

Okay, we have a reservation. The Haymaker just offered us their back room, so we will get to party and make a little hay (sorry about that, I couldn't resist, it was just sitting there). We should all meet starting at 6:00, although I will get there early since it's my gig. I'll revive this thread on the morning of the 14th with all the pertinent information. The backroom gives us the opportunity to add extra people in case we have some last minute arrivals. Should be a fun evening.

MVSNYC 06-06-2018 03:44 PM

Well done, Barry.

I should be able to get there a little early. My wife’s not able to come, but Dar might make a special appearance, I’m working on that.

barrysloate 06-06-2018 04:05 PM

That's great Michael. The restaurant will give us two tables that can be combined into one if we choose.

They asked me to call the day before to confirm and give them a head count, so if anyone decides at the last minute they want to join and can post on this thread, that would be helpful. Obviously, if we are off by one or two they will accommodate.

barrysloate 06-13-2018 03:50 AM

Good morning all. Tomorrow night is our dinner and a couple of names have already dropped off the list. I will call the restaurant late this afternoon to make the reservation, so if your name is not on it at post #106 and you would like to join, please let me know. Likewise, if you're on it and something came up, give a holler and I'll remove it. I will also put all the pertinent information up later today. Look forward to tomorrow.

HobokenJon 06-13-2018 12:30 PM

Still in. See y’all there.

ullmandds 06-13-2018 12:59 PM

I also am still in. Lookong forward to it!

barrysloate 06-13-2018 02:10 PM

Okay, I just made our reservation, and it looks like we will be around 10-12 people. Funny, but they told me it will probably be crowded due to the Hall & Oates concert, so you guys called it right.

The restaurant is Haymaker and it's at 252 West 29th Street, which is near the corner of 8th Avenue. We should be able to sit around 6:15-6:30, or whenever we are ready. I will get there around 5:30 or shortly thereafter, so please feel free to get there a little early and meet by the bar. Dress is casual so no worries there.

Look forward to seeing everybody. Any questions or other issues please post them here. I will check the thread up until I leave for Manhattan tomorrow afternoon.

RedsFan1941 06-13-2018 02:21 PM

sounds like it's going to be great!!!!!

MVSNYC 06-13-2018 02:31 PM

Well Barry, looks like you did it! And very efficiently too.

:)

See ya tmw.

KingFisk 06-13-2018 02:44 PM

My little girl has the sniffles - as of now I am still planning on being there but if things go south overnight I may need to bow out. But as of now I am in!

barrysloate 06-13-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1786334)
Well Barry, looks like you did it! And very efficiently too.

:)

See ya tmw.

Thank you Michael. And I am probably the last guy you would want to put a dinner party together. See you manana.

Carl, hope your daughter feels better and you will join us.

brass_rat 06-13-2018 04:14 PM

Yes, thanks, Barry! See you all tomorrow. Glad it's casual because I'm exclusively shorts and t-shirt. :D

Steve

barrysloate 06-13-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brass_rat (Post 1786363)
Yes, thanks, Barry! See you all tomorrow. Glad it's casual because I'm exclusively shorts and t-shirt. :D

Steve

I know you'll be in shorts. I think I'm going to go tuxedo and top hat.

BuzzD 06-13-2018 05:01 PM

NYC dinner

I am in LI and would be interested. Late June ok; kind of a newbie to the Board

Buzz D

barrysloate 06-13-2018 05:25 PM

Buzz D- you are welcome to come, but late June won't work. We have a reservation for tomorrow night. I posted the address above at #125 so if you show up we will make a place for you. I guess you haven't been following this thread,

Leon 06-14-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1786384)
Buzz D- you are welcome to come, but late June won't work. We have a reservation for tomorrow night. I posted the address above at #125 so if you show up we will make a place for you. I guess you haven't been following this thread,

ok let's make it july 14th :)...wait, do I need to read something or can I just interject anything, anytime and change it? ...j/k

I am already eagerly awaiting an update to how it goes. The one I attended was good... Will always remember the Bruces behavior that night. Weird.

KingFisk 06-14-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1786359)
Thank you Michael. And I am probably the last guy you would want to put a dinner party together. See you manana.

Carl, hope your daughter feels better and you will join us.

Thanks, Barry - still tracking to be there!

barrysloate 06-14-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1786522)
ok let's make it july 14th :)...wait, do I need to read something or can I just interject anything, anytime and change it? ...j/k

I am already eagerly awaiting an update to how it goes. The one I attended was good... Will always remember the Bruces behavior that night. Weird.

I remember your visit well Leon. And if I recall correctly, didn't Bruce bolt on the check?

MVSNYC 06-14-2018 09:43 AM

He had a Dial7 "limo" waiting outside...literally. Wonka had fun with that.

barrysloate 06-14-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1786560)
He had a Dial7 "limo" waiting outside...literally. Wonka had fun with that.

Bruce showed up in his limousine, ate his dinner, got up from the table and left without saying goodnight or paying his share of the bill. Wonka picked it up, I believe. Strange but true.

MVSNYC 06-14-2018 10:29 AM

Actually, I thought Leon picked up that one.

KingFisk 06-14-2018 10:40 AM

What was Bruce like in person? Different than board persona? The ghosting and bailing on the check seems like 100% board persona.

barrysloate 06-14-2018 10:49 AM

Bruce was quite different in person, not as combative, but he still sorely lacked social skills. He and I were friends but also always seemed to be at loggerheads about something.

barrysloate 06-14-2018 02:25 PM

Heading to Manhattan in about 15 minutes. See you all shortly!

egri 06-14-2018 02:40 PM

Is this the same Bruce who threatened to sue himself when the old posts got archived and he didn’t realize it?

KingFisk 06-14-2018 03:59 PM

If anyone is still checking this, I should be there around 6:30.

MVSNYC 06-14-2018 04:16 PM

We’re all in the back room...

RedsFan1941 06-14-2018 06:09 PM

can't imagine a cooler place to be in NYC tonight

KingFisk 06-14-2018 06:36 PM

Thank you, Barry, for organizing such a fun event. It was great meeting everyone and my only regret was that I didn't get to spend time talking to everyone! Looking forward to the next one.

barrysloate 06-14-2018 07:14 PM

Carl- great meeting you too, and we still owe you $10 change. You left a few minutes too soon.
!
Fantastic evening, even if it was a little too loud in the restaurant. Great seeing old friends, and meeting Michael and Jenni, Carl,Jon, and Pete for the first time. It was a great group and we'll have to do it again soon.

And a little later Jenni is going to post a picture to prove we really did get together. Thanks to everyone!

Cmount76 06-14-2018 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again Barry for organizing a great evening. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and put faces to the names!

And as promised, here is the photographic proof it actually took place!

brass_rat 06-14-2018 09:49 PM

Yes, thank you for organizing, Barry!

A very enjoyable dinner, and I'm glad that Ted was able to make the trip and that Pete was able to be there as a out-of-town visitor as well!

Steve