Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Topps 1989 & 1990 Heads Up...or Big Head Suckers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251046)

ALR-bishop 02-08-2018 10:55 AM

Topps 1989 & 1990 Heads Up...or Big Head Suckers

I have these two sets and a couple of unopened packs, None of mine are graded, There is currently a 1989 Schmidt PSA 9 on ebay. It does not appear to have the sucker. It is my impression from the unopened packs I have that the cards came out of the pack with the suckers embedded in the card. But, maybe that is not right . Anyone know for sure ?

My question is whether these cards are "altered" if they do not have the "sucker". Or if they come without the sucker attached in the pack, does inserting the sucker alter the card? Or given the nature of the issue is it unaltered with or without the sucker ?

Does it even matter ? Does anyone really care ? :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Topps-...4AAOSwEIhZg9dl

rgpete 02-08-2018 04:37 PM

My 1990 Heads Up , the sucker is embedded in the card when taken out from the pack

Jason Carota 02-08-2018 05:16 PM

Based on the statement on the back, I would say they came with the suction cup embedded:

http://www.jasoncarota.com/img/burks...up_test_12.jpg

Jim65 02-08-2018 06:07 PM

I cut the suction cups off mine. Does it alter the card? Probably. Do I care? No. :)

ALR-bishop 02-08-2018 08:53 PM

Since PSA graded the Schmidt so highly withou a sucker it looks like they agree with you Jim....or else don’t care either :)

bobsbbcards 02-09-2018 06:55 AM

I don't believe I've ever seen a slabbed Heads Up! card with the sucker still attached. And yes, there is at least one other person in the universe besides you who cares. :)

Neal 02-09-2018 01:18 PM

I forgot about that issue! Thanks for sharing :)

I would imagine that the only way PSA could slab it would be without the sucker .... but who knows.

In any event, that is one big slab! LOL

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 02-13-2018 10:02 AM

The pack I have has the sucker attached. However, I received the pack opened so it's possible some sucker attached the sucker and then reinserted it with the sucker back into the pack. I've seen suckers with suckers and suckers without suckers but without opening a sucker's pack I think it's impossible for any sucker to know for certain if a sucker's sucker is attached or if the sucker's sucker is a loose sucker.

Arthur

bigfanNY 02-13-2018 04:48 PM

I have a couple of boxes of 1990. I will find one and open up a pack. I will update the thread.

rgpete 02-13-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1747769)
I have a couple of boxes of 1990. I will find one and open up a pack. I will update the thread.

My 1990 Heads Up , the sucker is embedded in the card when taken out from the pack

ALR-bishop 02-13-2018 07:23 PM

If the suckers come embedded, and I tend to think they do, there are two ways to remove them. Pop them out which tends to create some distortion around the hole, or cut the bottom off to avoid the pop out. Would not either be alteration of the card as retailed.

I guess since the card and sucker were produced separately and the sucker inserted before packaging, the card without the sucker could be viewed as unaltered.

I realize as to this issue it hardly matters, but with all the debate on the main board about what can be legitimately done to a card without altering it, I just thought the question interesting.

steve B 02-14-2018 10:51 AM

I would see it as altered. Part of the original product was removed.
I can see a bit of leniency for cards like Redmans with a tab that was intended to be removed, but the suction cups weren't so.....

I wouldn't want ones without them.

bobsbbcards 02-14-2018 08:35 PM

PSA doesn't seem to grade them with the sucker attached.

Exhibitman 02-17-2018 03:46 PM

That’s because the sucker is the one who mailed it to PSA

Jim65 02-17-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsbbcards (Post 1748170)
PSA doesn't seem to grade them with the sucker attached.

They probably would not fit in the holder if they did.

bswhiten 02-18-2018 01:06 PM

Do the suckers just pop out or do you have to physically cut them out? Like the 61 Baseball keychains the plastic key chain just pops off and the card slides out. So PSA can slab the card, but i still have the original keychains if i ever want to put them back into the original state :) Maybe save your suckers! lol

Jim65 02-18-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswhiten (Post 1749154)
Do the suckers just pop out or do you have to physically cut them out? Like the 61 Baseball keychains the plastic key chain just pops off and the card slides out. So PSA can slab the card, but i still have the original keychains if i ever want to put them back into the original state :) Maybe save your suckers! lol

They have to be cut to avoid damaging the card.

ALR-bishop 02-18-2018 03:31 PM

They can be popped out, or back in again. They can also be cut. If popped I guess there is a risk the hole will no longer be "mint" :)

I feel we are addressing a hobby issue of both first impression and of some importance. ;)