Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's the deal with '52 topps prices lately? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242730)

Brianruns10 07-23-2017 09:40 AM

What's the deal with '52 topps prices lately?

Aside from the primo cards, your Mantles, Mays, etc, I've noticed of late a real price drop in '52s. For example, I bought I PSA 8 Sid Hudson just the other day for a little over $500. I was prepared to pay more, but the competing bids just weren't there. Craziest of all, this exact same card (exact, same PSA number, everything) sold at Heritage auctions in late 2015 for just shy of$3000! That's a heck of a price drop. That's an extreme example, but I've defintely noticed of late that cards I've sold have fetched less, and cards that, just a few years ago I might've paid $250 for, I'm now getting for $150 or $175.

What is causing this downtown? I haven't noticed more cards on the market, or a surplus. These cards, to me, seem no harder or easier to obtain in the grades I like. It's just that there isn't the same fervor to buy.

irv 07-23-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1683445)
Aside from the primo cards, your Mantles, Mays, etc, I've noticed of late a real price drop in '52s. For example, I bought I PSA 8 Sid Hudson just the other day for a little over $500. I was prepared to pay more, but the competing bids just weren't there. Craziest of all, this exact same card (exact, same PSA number, everything) sold at Heritage auctions in late 2015 for just shy of$3000! That's a heck of a price drop. That's an extreme example, but I've defintely noticed of late that cards I've sold have fetched less, and cards that, just a few years ago I might've paid $250 for, I'm now getting for $150 or $175.

What is causing this downtown? I haven't noticed more cards on the market, or a surplus. These cards, to me, seem no harder or easier to obtain in the grades I like. It's just that there isn't the same fervor to buy.

I think most years cards are down somewhat, not just 52's, but keep in mind, that same auction you are referring to, with the $3,000 dollar card, also sold another 8 in the same auction for just over $800.00. The 3G card you're referring to has a black back, not a much more populous red back.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...udson-60/22997 (scroll down to see the previous auctions and use the graph above to check out the population report)

Edit: Your $500 dollar card is the black back, exact same number, version as the $3,000 one? Can you post a pic of it?

drcy 07-23-2017 10:23 AM

Collectors learned that Pre-War meant Pre-World War II not Pre-Korean War

pokerplyr80 07-23-2017 10:46 AM

For that particular card you probably had 2 or 3 guys working on a high grade master set driving up the price of black backs. If one or two of them completed or gave up on the set there's no one left to spend a few grand on a Sid Hudson card.

ALR-bishop 07-23-2017 10:52 AM

World War I does not get the respect it deserves anymore. :)

Brianruns10 07-23-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1683451)
I think most years cards are down somewhat, not just 52's, but keep in mind, that same auction you are referring to, with the $3,000 dollar card, also sold another 8 in the same auction for just over $800.00. The 8G card you're referring to has a black back, not a much more populous red back.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...udson-60/22997 (scroll down to see the previous auctions and use the graph above to check out the population report)

Edit: Your $500 dollar card is the black back, exact same number, version as the $3,000 one? Can you post a pic of it?

The exact same. Here's the card I bought on Ebay a few days ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-6...p2047675.l2557

irv 07-23-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1683542)
The exact same. Here's the card I bought on Ebay a few days ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-6...p2047675.l2557

Congrats, Brian. You did very well!!

Not sure if I know a 100%, (hope others chime in) but I'd say/guess others missed this one and you lucked in at the right time?
Truthfully, I don't think this is a reflection of the current market but rather one of those P/U's we all dream about. Way to go!

This is the Heritage description, and with only 8 others in the POP report like it, I'd say you did extremely well. :D

1952 Topps Sid Hudson (Black Back) #60 PSA NM-MT 8 - None Higher. Corners with wear that can be described as "barely there," a bright white frame and a grand portrait. Hard to ask for more. A great example of a card rarely found this nice. Graded PSA NM-MT 8. Condition scarcity, this is the only eight cards in NM-MT with none graded higher.

Brianruns10 07-23-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1683567)
Congrats, Brian. You did very well!!

Not sure if I know a 100%, (hope others chime in) but I'd say/guess others missed this one and you lucked in at the right time?
Truthfully, I don't think this is a reflection of the current market but rather one of those P/U's we all dream about. Way to go!

This is the Heritage description, and with only 8 others in the POP report like it, I'd say you did extremely well. :D

1952 Topps Sid Hudson (Black Back) #60 PSA NM-MT 8 - None Higher. Corners with wear that can be described as "barely there," a bright white frame and a grand portrait. Hard to ask for more. A great example of a card rarely found this nice. Graded PSA NM-MT 8. Condition scarcity, this is the only eight cards in NM-MT with none graded higher.

Maybe this is karma rewarding me for way back when I sold my PSA 6 Bartirome for $400 before all the craziness happened and he blew up into a thousand dollar card.

I still can't forgive myself for that blunder.

irv 07-24-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1683681)
Maybe this is karma rewarding me for way back when I sold my PSA 6 Bartirome for $400 before all the craziness happened and he blew up into a thousand dollar card.

I still can't forgive myself for that blunder.

We all have similar stories, Brian, and as they say, hindsight is 20/20 but prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future. :)

I still don't know about your card a 100%? Maybe it's as Pokerply stated, 2 guys got caught up and drove it through the roof, or maybe it's as I said, and you got a smoking deal?

I have currently seen a bit of both with 52's. Some prices are down and there are others that make me scratch my head. :confused:

I know I still have lots to learn, especially about tough cards and/or black backed cards so maybe what I am seeing with some of these higher than normal prices, for what I thought were commons, is because they are difficult/scare to find?

Either way, you have a great looking card there and one I'd certainly love to add to my collection, so again, congrats on the pick up.:)