Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chief Wahoo in the Crosshairs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238249)

KMayUSA6060 06-19-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1672635)
hyperbolic bull$hit quotes like this are why everyone is getting sick to death of a certain side's mamby pamby identity crap.

Remember back in the 80's when christian groups complained about TV programs being too violent or sexy and the response was "you have a dial on your TV use it" well, you have a choice of sports team to support, make your choice and let the rest of us make ours. Your opinion means nothing, being offended is nothing but a whine for attention and an attempt to make everyone do your bidding like a foot stomping toddler.

Well said.

Snapolit1 06-21-2017 07:24 PM

Actually one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on the board. No offense intended of course.
Were the people who published articles and expressed opinions that slavery was wrong toddlers who were looking for attention? How about people who stood up for the Jews in Nazi Germany? Were they toddlers too? How about people in the 1960s who said it was wrong that blacks and white couldn't marry? How about people who stepped forward and said homosexuals really shouldn't be thrown in jail for no reason? Yeah, I guess just more toddlers expressing their views and stamping their feet.

Being offended is nothing but a whine. Does that apply to people who have an issue with Kapernick, or just people with different political or social views than you?

pclpads 06-21-2017 09:16 PM

Thank you for more of your hyperbolic bull$hit. Comparing the weak examples you cited as being comparable to Indian logs for sports teams is apples and orangutans. Chief Wahoo and the WA Redskins is not even close to Jews being gassed in Nazi Germany.

KMayUSA6060 01-29-2018 11:22 AM

I'm pissed. Screw you Rob Manfred and Paul Dolan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...forms-52686021

TobaccoKing4 01-29-2018 02:02 PM

I'm not happy about Wahoo being removed, but I wonder if there will be a name change in the future. I think it'd be cool if they went back to being the Cleveland Spiders, or even cooler if they took the name of the Cleveland Naps.

Big Six 01-29-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1650750)
I don't know the answer to that but I think you can see a stereotyped image and know that there is something about it that is problematic. Have you ever seen any of the old Pears soap advertisements? Or any of the original Darlie toothpaste ads?

So why isn’t this offensive?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e3c144727b.jpg
Stereotypical, aggressive, ape-like depiction of the Irish. And you’d be hard pressed to find any Irishman who would want Notre Dame (or any other institution using the logo) to change it. This is such a typical target for many in today’s PC environment to focus on. “Offensive” images...let’s get rid of them because if they go away, we solve the problem. Would love to know what those fighting this fight are doing to help Native Americans who have been screwed by this country since before it was a country. What a fake and disingenuous effort. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMayUSA6060 01-29-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1743105)
I'm not happy about Wahoo being removed, but I wonder if there will be a name change in the future. I think it'd be cool if they went back to being the Cleveland Spiders, or even cooler if they took the name of the Cleveland Naps.

You can't go back to the Naps. Can you imagine the backlash if they renamed their team after a white guy? And I say that tongue in cheek with a little bit of anger towards political correctness.

If anything, go back to the Spiders, but it still wouldn't be the same.

bravos4evr 02-03-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschock (Post 1650758)
So a big toothy smiling Indian is a "stereotype"? Odd that I haven't seen many of those other images. In fact, checking google for "smiling indian stereotype" the ONLY image that comes up in many pages that might relate to Native American 'offensiveness' is the Chief Wahoo image (or those making fun of it).

I don't know the answer to my own question either, but I don't purport to speak for a group that may OR MAY NOT be offended. I also don't dismiss out of hand a survey when it doesn't coincide with any preconceived ideas that I might have.

So how about this question. If 90% of the 5.2 million Native Americans said they did NOT take offense to Chief Wahoo, would YOU still claim that image is offensive to Native Americans?

because middle class suburuban white leftists know what's best for all of us, and if you disagree? well they will try and ruin your life, or call you racist or sexist until they shout you down with their tyrannical fascistic rubbish.

nolemmings 02-03-2018 05:48 PM

Thome doesn't want Chief Wahoo on his hall of fame plaque

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/j...f-fame-plaque/

Peter_Spaeth 02-03-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1744799)

He must be a middle class suburban white leftist. Well, maybe upper class given his salary.

vintagetoppsguy 02-03-2018 06:08 PM

Nothing to add here.

vintagewhitesox 02-04-2018 02:00 PM

As I'm not a native american, whether I am offended or not is irrelevant.
If a native american tells me the image is offensive to them, well, I would have to believe that person.
I look at it this way, if there was a team called the New York Jewboys, and the logo was a hooked nosed caricature, I'd probably be offended.

I do find it somewhat humerous that the middle aged white men on THIS board are so bent out of shape about a sports logo.

clydepepper 02-04-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox (Post 1745016)
As I'm not a native american, whether I am offended or not is irrelevant.
If a native american tells me the image is offensive to them, well, I would have to believe that person.
I look at it this way, if there was a team called the New York Jewboys, and the logo was a hooked nosed caricature, I'd probably be offended.

I do find it somewhat humerous that the middle aged white men on THIS board are so bent out of shape about a sports logo.

Possible simple solution: lighten his skin. I would think that the Redskins would be more offensive than the Indians.

Back in the 1990's my local minor league team, a Cleveland affiliate, changed it's name from Indians to Red Stixx (local Indians would use sticks painted red to communicate between villages) - it was silly, but it worked for that team...for a while, then they changed it to Mudcats (Chattahoochee River catfish)- nobody was ever offended with that one.

Wouldn't that make things okay for everyone?

KMayUSA6060 02-05-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1745121)
Possible simple solution: lighten his skin. I would think that the Redskins would be more offensive than the Indians.

Back in the 1990's my local minor league team, a Cleveland affiliate, changed it's name from Indians to Red Stixx (local Indians would use sticks painted red to communicate between villages) - it was silly, but it worked for that team...for a while, then they changed it to Mudcats (Chattahoochee River catfish)- nobody was ever offended with that one.

Wouldn't that make things okay for everyone?

I brought this up in the thread that was started in the main forum: why not go back to the original, "vintage" Chief Wahoo? I asked if that would be offensive, and people said yes because of the shape. I always thought it was the skin color, but I guess the shape offends people, too, because not all Native Americans look like that. :rolleyes:

Leon 02-05-2018 07:55 AM

This thread has gotten a bit caustic and too political. We lost 2 longtime members recently because of politics. So with that let's get back to cards please....Again, I think we can all agree that we want harmony and peace in the world. That is all...