Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1960 Hal Smith Team Blackened Out - Value/Rarity? Where to send to sell? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258725)

mebu22 08-16-2018 10:22 AM

1960 Hal Smith Team Blackened Out - Value/Rarity? Where to send to sell?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 1960 Hal Smith 1960 Leaf Team Blackened Out card that does not have a book value in the Beckett Vintage guide due to it's rarity. I just sent it out to PSA and expect a 6 to 7 grade on it... but the population report is low at that level.

I think the card would bring in a decent value at auction.. I'm trying to avoid feebay. Any suggestions on where to send this card to be auctioned off?

Any insight into possible value range?

Thanks for the help

-Mike

cardinalcollector 08-16-2018 10:28 AM

That's a very tough card. I sold a PSA 4 about a year ago for about $450.

mebu22 08-16-2018 10:30 AM

Thank you ... that's a starting point for me to know.

swarmee 08-16-2018 05:33 PM

You want to avoid "feeBay" by sending it to an auctionhouse who will take 20% off the top instead of 13% or less, sometimes only 3%? I have sold a bunch of stuff on eBay lately and gotten either my 10% waived, reduced, or repaid in eBay bucks.
They're not as feeBay as they used to be...

ALR-bishop 08-17-2018 06:55 AM

I ended up with 4 different Hal Smith’s in my 60 Leaf set. With Cardinals, with Cardinals left off, with Cardinals blacked out and the Big Head Proof Card. My experience was the latter was the toughest to find. I think there were proof cards for 8 of the players in the set where the portrait photo is much bigger than that in the set

mebu22 08-17-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1804500)
You want to avoid "feeBay" by sending it to an auctionhouse who will take 20% off the top instead of 13% or less, sometimes only 3%? I have sold a bunch of stuff on eBay lately and gotten either my 10% waived, reduced, or repaid in eBay bucks.
They're not as feeBay as they used to be...

True... but I can't count on it... some auction houses charge a buyers premium instead of a sellers premium... so it's finding the right fit. I've had a few people DM me on the card already... so I may just sell it on here when it gets back from PSA in 6-8 weeks.

mebu22 08-17-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1804606)
I ended up with 4 different Hal Smith’s in my 60 Leaf set. With Cardinals, with Cardinals left off, with Cardinals blacked out and the Big Head Proof Card. My experience was the latter was the toughest to find. I think there were proof cards for 8 of the players in the set where the portrait photo is much bigger than that in the set

Thanks for letting me know the rarity... it's always tough to tell on a population report. Any idea on the value/pricing of the blacked out variation since you have acquired one recently?

horzverti 08-17-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1804606)

Al - Your complete sets with variations always impress. I love seeing your tough to find items. Thanks for sharing.

RedsFan1941 08-17-2018 12:03 PM

whether it’s a buyer’s premium or a sellers premium, the seller is impacted by the amount of money he receives. what it’s called is irrelevant.