Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP with 1951 Yankee opening day Program ..Maybe? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239823)

bigfanNY 05-16-2017 01:36 PM

HELP with 1951 Yankee opening day Program ..Maybe?

Hello I came across a program that was listed as a 1951 Allie Reynolds Second No Hitter Scorecard. I know that it is not as Mantle is listed as Number 6 which he only wore until he was sent down mid season and Cliff Mapes wore 7 in this game. Game is Boston at NY so this narrows it down. What is interesting is the Number 9 Hitter Gene Markland Number 48 who according to my research was told just before the opening game that he was being sent back down to KC. Is this an Opening day 1951 Scorecard? I know a few on the board hold much more knowledge about this subject than I do so I am pleading for your learned opinions.
Boston Line up 1 Dimaggio 2 Goodman 3 Williams 4 Stephens 5 Dropo 6 Doerr 7 Boudreau 8 Roser
And the Boston Lineup matches the opening day lineup for Boston

Yankees
1 Woodling 2 M'Dug'ld (McDougald) 3 Berra 4 Dimaggio 5 Mize 6 Mapes 7 Johnson 8 Markland.

Any and All Help Appreciated

Jonathan

doug.goodman 05-16-2017 06:41 PM

Can you post a scan?

It does sound like you have a program from the opening homestand.

Doug

bigfanNY 05-16-2017 08:30 PM

Doug Item shipped but It has not arrived. I will post pics when it arrives. A search on ebay of sold items "1951 Yankees no hitter scorecard". will bring it up and there are some pics. The Yankee side of the center page is easy to read but the Boston is fuzzy. Rizzuto was sent to John Hopkins on April 10th and was not expected to play on Opening day. I also found in a book called one hit wonders where Markland was told on opening day that Phil was back and he was going back to KC and the minors. That is as far as my research has taken me so far.
J

bigfanNY 05-16-2017 10:22 PM

To update this thread Doug was kind enough to compare his scored opening day program with mine and they match. But this opens up a new door. Spring 2015 Robert Edwards sold what they called an opening day program that has a different Yankee Lineup. The same lineup that was eventually used on opening day when Rizzuto was able to play at the last minute. And an Ebay seller currently has what appears to be a second game of the season program with some pen notations that say Vic Rashhi pitched etc. I WILL UPDATE AGAIN IN A COUPLE DAYS WHEN SCOREVARD ARTIVES..
Jonathan

doug.goodman 05-16-2017 10:22 PM

Did anybody on Net54 win the Mantle debut program in REA's Spring 2015 auction?

I think that program is potentially from the second game of the season, not from Opening Day as described.

I think that Markland being listed on the program being discussed in this thread pinpoints it to Opening Day.

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that the Yankees printed scorecards with different lineups for single games.

Full disclosure - I have an opening day program with Markland printed in the lineup. Mine is scored

Doug

bigfanNY 05-17-2017 01:54 PM

Question Answered

1 Attachment(s)
Based on this program I found on the Goldin Auction Site that came from the original owner who scored the game and kept his ticket stub. (part of this auction Lot) I believe the question I originally asked "Did I purchase an opening day program has been answered. And the answer is YES. Doug Goodman was kind enough to share a scan of his scored program from opening day and it matched mine exactly. Doug said that that only meant that it was from the opening series of 2 games. I sent him links to an REA auction that showed a program with a different printed lineup that was purported to be an opening day program. After examining it Doug agreed with me that the opening day program was unique. Today I came across a Goldin auction lot of both a scored program and a Ticket stub from an original owner. That program below matches the programs that Doug and I own. So I believe that answers the question.
But it raises a couple more first the REA program and second the program on Ebay which matches the REA program but has pen notations on Pitcher etc. that supposedly support it being an opening day program which it is not.

YankeeFan 05-17-2017 04:43 PM

Great info, thanks for sharing. And congratulations on the great pickup