Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   updated PSA website checkpoints (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343375)

hockeyhockey 12-01-2023 05:13 PM

updated PSA website checkpoints

anyone grade cards with PSA recently? seems they have an updated website with different checkpoints.

after assembly, it goes to "grades ready", and then QC1 and then complete. mine says complete, yet there are no grades available - at least as of now. seems odd since i have passed the "grades ready" checkpoint. anyone else have this issue?

gunboat82 12-01-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2393363)
anyone grade cards with PSA recently? seems they have an updated website with different checkpoints.

after assembly, it goes to "grades ready", and then QC1 and then complete. mine says complete, yet there are no grades available - at least as of now. seems odd since i have passed the "grades ready" checkpoint. anyone else have this issue?

Yes, it took a couple days for my grades to be released after I passed the "Grades Ready" checkpoint on my last submission. The tracker also went backward at one point. It was supposed to be a 10-day turnaround, but it took a full month.

hockeyhockey 12-01-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunboat82 (Post 2393376)
Yes, it took a couple days for my grades to be released after I passed the "Grades Ready" checkpoint on my last submission. The tracker also went backward at one point. It was supposed to be a 10-day turnaround, but it took a full month.

maybe they need to change it from "grades ready" to "graded" :confused:

swarmee 12-01-2023 07:39 PM

I've probably seen 10 instances posted on Blowout in the last two years where cards were damaged during slabbing, and got downgraded after the initial scans (and grades) were posted. So a person was notified they got a PSA 10, then PSA dinged the corners while slabbing, and reslabbed the card as an 8 and mailed to the submitter.

Snowman 12-01-2023 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2393409)
I've probably seen 10 instances posted on Blowout in the last two years where cards were damaged during slabbing, and got downgraded after the initial scans (and grades) were posted. So a person was notified they got a PSA 10, then PSA dinged the corners while slabbing, and reslabbed the card as an 8 and mailed to the submitter.

I'm not saying this didn't happen (surely, it does sometimes), but I should point out that this is also precisely what people claim when they in fact sent in a card with a corner flaw that was initially missed during grading but caught during QC, which also definitely happens with some degree of regularity.

That said, PSA does damage cards. I had a new corner ding show up on a 1964 Topps Ed Mathews card that I sent them a few months ago. It was a near-perfect copy. Should have been graded as a 9. It came back in a 7 holder with a ding on the corner that definitely was not there before. And I don't miss corner dings. It actually looked over graded after I saw it in hand. They'd usually give that a 6 at best nowadays. Which makes me think the grader is the one who damaged it, not the slabbers.

I take meticulous notes and keep records of every card I submit and what flaws it has. And I know how to grade cards. I use multiple different jeweler's loupes with multiple different lights at every angle. I don't miss corner damage.