Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How to ship high value item (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=193378)

RelicSports 09-03-2014 07:44 AM

How to ship high value item

Good morning All,

Any suggestions on how best to ship/insure a high value item (autographed baseball)? I know USPS only insures up to $1000, and FedEx does not insure for more value than the actual ball (not the signature). Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Andrew

khw 09-03-2014 09:27 AM

if it is under 1000 i just use usps signature req , of the last 7000 items i dont think one was lost for good , anything over that i will use usps regest mail , even a box with 1000 items going to psa , as safe as they get, and note fed ex , does not insure collectibles, at least they didnt , they will take the money but if lost or damaged will refuse to pay, been there done that.

Duluth Eskimo 09-03-2014 12:06 PM

I ship all high value items USPS registered mail. Depends on the size though.

barrysloate 09-03-2014 12:12 PM

Registered mail insures up to $25,000 and is virtually 100% safe.

Westsiders 09-03-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfan4 (Post 1317878)
Good morning All,

Any suggestions on how best to ship/insure a high value item (autographed baseball)? I know USPS only insures up to $1000, and FedEx does not insure for more value than the actual ball (not the signature). Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I've shipped five items in the past year, all in the $4-$6K range, and used UPS each time. There was never any issue getting it insured for that amount, and I believe the cost was in the range of $8 to $10 per $1K of insurance. Hope this helps.

RelicSports 09-03-2014 12:41 PM

Thank you everyone! This definitely has pointed me in the right direction!

Duluth Eskimo 09-03-2014 04:07 PM

I still say go with the most secure way to ship and forget about paying for insurance. As KHW said, you will never get paid on a big ticket item. I believe Registered mail is the most secure way to go. Hand sorted, never machined, and under security through the whole process. Jason

khw 09-03-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1318052)
I still say go with the most secure way to ship and forget about paying for insurance. As KHW said, you will never get paid on a big ticket item. I believe Registered mail is the most secure way to go. Hand sorted, never machined, and under security through the whole process. Jason

exactly i never take the insurance with the regest it only goes to 25k i think, and if somebody lost a package for that it would be impossible to get paid , i had a package a few years ago coming to me for 10k , substitute ups driver , and it turned out was his last day, no signature recieved no scan, nothing, at first they wanted to get to the bottom of it until it looked like it was their theft . then they wouldnt even answer phone calls or anything, had to get a lawyer , cost 500.00 to get paid , stick with the usps

Mr. Zipper 09-03-2014 09:14 PM

USPS Registered Mail no doubt. I have shipped $20,000 items fully insured for around $55 via Registered Mail. No problems other than they make you paper tape every seam! :)

Leon 09-04-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1318189)
USPS Registered Mail no doubt. I have shipped $20,000 items fully insured for around $55 via Registered Mail. No problems other than they make you paper tape every seam! :)

+1 ....There is almost no doubt that Registered mail is the safest way to ship. I am sure it's happened but I have never heard of a Registered package being lost. I understand it's the way diamond dealers ship their goods too.

RelicSports 12-11-2014 06:46 PM

Another shipping question...what is the best way to package a large magazine (Life Magazine)? Do you box it up? put it in a cardboard envelope? Any suggestions for safest transit is appreciated, thank you!

almostdone 12-11-2014 08:58 PM

If you can go to your local pizza shop they might give you a new pizza box. Try to get one unfolded then fold it yourself inside out. They are sturdy, flat and not to heavy and perfect for shipping magazines, records, binders with cards etc. I should know. I've run a pizza restraunt for over 20 years. Hope this helps.
Drew

Runscott 12-11-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfan4 (Post 1353488)
Another shipping question...what is the best way to package a large magazine (Life Magazine)? Do you box it up? put it in a cardboard envelope? Any suggestions for safest transit is appreciated, thank you!

Get a large box that has two sides that are bigger than the magazine - your local grocery dumpster should have some. Chop it down to where each side on either side of a fold leaves about 1.5" around the magazine. Insert it with the binding against the fold, press down the remaining three sides and tape along those edges with packing tape. Write 'DO NOT BEND' on both sides and you are good to go.

RelicSports 12-12-2014 06:48 AM

Thank you Scott/Drew!