Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Value of 1973 OPC Baseball Set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274289)

JohnH19 10-02-2019 02:37 PM

Value of 1973 OPC Baseball Set

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1973 OPC set in ex/mt condition, other than typical centering issues. The seller is asking $750 for the set which is stored in sheets and a binder.

I have been hesitating for a couple of months because there are so few reference points regarding values of OPC sets. I have no idea what a reasonable price to pay is. Anybody have any thoughts? Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John

JollyElm 10-02-2019 02:47 PM

Just a rudimentary thought, but I would highly concentrate on what the 'big' names look like. Cards like the Schmidt RC, #1 All Time HR leaders, Nolan Ryan, Goose Gossage RC, Mays, Clemente, Aaron, etc. If they are weak, that will tell you all you need to know. If they are pretty strong, you would still be in a beneficial position, even if you end up overpaying.

JohnH19 10-02-2019 03:12 PM

I haven't looked at the set in a while but I believe that a lot of the star cards were quite badly off center. Not sure about the Schmidt because of the design of the multi-player cards. The individual cards are easy to judge.

Hxcmilkshake 10-02-2019 07:24 PM

Even with strong exmt keys this seems high for OPC.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yastrzemski Sports 10-04-2019 08:20 PM

I love opc cards. I love the bright backs and the way they differ from Topps. Still waiting for people to realize how rare they are and for the value to explode.

I don’t think the price is out of line. All that really matters is if it’s worfh it to you.

brob28 10-05-2019 06:13 AM

John, I'm not familiar with the '70 set, but I'm slowly working on a '71 set and with no consideration to the black borders, just finding ex/mt cards would be a challenge.

Jim65 10-05-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1921409)
I love opc cards. I love the bright backs and the way they differ from Topps. Still waiting for people to realize how rare they are and for the value to explode.

I don’t think the price is out of line. All that really matters is if it’s worfh it to you.

I love them too. I completed my Mets OPC run last year when I finally sprang for the Nolan Ryan RC. The 1971 high numbers in nice shape were the toughest challenge.

JohnH19 10-05-2019 09:08 PM

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I live in Canada but it's still next to impossible to find OPC Baseball sets earlier than 1978. The thing that makes this '73 set so tempting to me is that it still includes most of the big stars of the 50s and 60s with the last regular issue cards of Mays and Clemente.

mrduul 10-14-2019 11:51 AM

Hey Bill - I don't check the boards very often but I saw your post and if you're interested in 71's I completed the low numbers and have hundreds of duplicates if you'd like to work out a trade or purchase. asroma2013@yahoo.com frank Dangiolillo

Northviewcats 10-16-2019 02:57 PM

73 opc

15 Attachment(s)
I actually think the 73 OPCs look better than Topps cards when you find them in good condition. Even with the jagged edges. The images seem sharper.

Here are a few pictures to add some color to the thread.

Best regards,

Joe

JohnH19 10-16-2019 09:11 PM

On the weekend I went back to have another look at the set and also the 1975 Topps Baseball and 79-80 Topps Hockey (with a Gretzky rookie Beckett RCR grade of 7.5) sets that he has.

I was very disappointed to see a smudge/stain on the right short edge of the Schmidt. The only other card I noticed a stain on was the Bench. The rest of the cards were razor sharp except for the horrible centering on many. Several of the star cards were 90/10 and 100/0.

The 75 Topps set was in great shape, including the Brett and Yount rookies, except for marked checklists. The Gretzky set was also in beautiful condition.

After some negotiating, the lowest he would go on all three sets was $1,800 Cdn. I had $1,500 on me. I think I would have done the deal for $1,800 but my disappointment in the Schmidt card held me back. Thoughts?