Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Autographs you can't authenticate (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160052)

Runscott 12-11-2012 10:01 AM

Autographs you can't authenticate

The recent Ali post got me thinking - what are the autographs that have real examples that simply can't be authenticated without provenance? (doesn't mean that some real examples can't be)

Two I can think of are Mel Ott and Ali.

isaac2004 12-11-2012 10:25 AM

I would think some newer players who just leave a squiggle would be hard to authenticate without witnessing.

HOFAUTOS 12-11-2012 10:36 AM

Most celebrity autographs I have seen are some type of squiggle or weird lines. Not sure how anyone can authenticate those, but we see them selling all the time. I don't know why anyone would even purchase a squiggly line.

Runscott 12-11-2012 10:55 AM

Yeah, I don't really get why people want such things - or why the players have such little pride in their own signature. When I look at the autographs I got as a kid, there's no comparison. The players almost always took their time and signed legibly - probably because as children they were taught to.

Every now and then I look at newer team-signed balls. Disgusting stuff.

jgmp123 12-11-2012 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One autograph in particular that I have found difficult, unless being purchased from a reputable individual is Kenesaw Mountain Landis...
just a couple examples....

Runscott 12-11-2012 12:33 PM

Want to really have some fun? Go to PSA/DNA's authentication site and do a few searches 'by name'. They will authenticate a Matty McIntyre for only $100.

Anyone ever seen Matty McIntyre's autograph? :p

jgmp123 12-11-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1061517)
Want to really have some fun? Go to PSA/DNA's authentication site and do a few searches 'by name'. They will authenticate a Matty McIntyre for only $100.

Anyone ever seen Matty McIntyre's autograph? :p

Pretty sure I have NEVER seen a Matty McIntyre autograph....Does PSA even have one?????:eek:

ss 12-11-2012 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is from a 1909 Tigers teamed signed sheet.

Runscott 12-11-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss (Post 1061625)
This is from a 1909 Tigers teamed signed sheet.

Steve - thanks for providing that.

Here's a comparison to my supposedly-Matty inscribed photo:

drc 12-12-2012 02:07 AM

My doctor wrote me a prescription, has the worst handwriting (the stereotype is true) and I couldn't read what he wrote. The pharmacist at Rite Aid knew what it said right away. PSA should hire her.

GrayGhost 12-12-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 1061734)
My doctor wrote me a prescription, has the worst handwriting (the stereotype is true) and I couldn't read what he wrote. The pharmacist at Rite Aid knew what it said right away. PSA should hire her.

+1

Also, if PSA doesn't have a Matty Mc, they have a couple to choose from now, if they peruse this site.:)

Gary Dunaier 12-12-2012 11:46 PM

When it comes to today's players, you have to wonder if they sign their contracts and other legal paperwork with the same illegible "signatures" they provide for fans and such.

On the other hand... submitted for your inspection - this check from Belinda Carlisle of the Go-Go's...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3257/2...0bdd7399_z.jpg
(Personal information digitally removed from image for security purposes.)

Exhibitman 12-13-2012 06:27 AM

Daniel [James Bond] Craig's signature is a scrawled "DC" that looks terrible and easily forged.

Ali's signature has morphed so much due to his illness that it presents real challenges. Although I prefer mfg. certified autographed cards I can't stand the recent Ali sigs and haven't added one to my collection.

Mr. Zipper 12-13-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1062171)
Daniel [James Bond] Craig's signature is a scrawled "DC" that looks terrible and easily forged.

Ali's signature has morphed so much due to his illness that it presents real challenges. Although I prefer mfg. certified autographed cards I can't stand the recent Ali sigs and haven't added one to my collection.

Frankly I don't now how many modern entertainment autographs can be authenticated with any level of certainty. It certainty doesn't take a master forger to quickly scrawl off a line with a loop in it.

I suppose it all comes down to provenance and buying from a guy you trust. Which is great until you decide you may want to sell it down the road then your buyer has to make a leap of faith to trust the guy that you trust, etc., etc.