Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What's the Next Modern Card/Player To Tank (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258593)

Johnny630 08-13-2018 04:49 AM

What's the Next Modern Card/Player To Tank

Any thoughts? Modern as to Post 2000

Peter_Spaeth 08-13-2018 05:48 AM

I wonder if the sky high prices on some of the Topps Update Trouts are sustainable given the huge supply.

Johnny630 08-13-2018 07:29 AM

I think it’s gonna tank Peter. Remember what happened with the PSA 10 Griffey 89 Rookie.

Neal 08-13-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1803314)
I wonder if the sky high prices on some of the Topps Update Trouts are sustainable given the huge supply.

Not sure about tanking, but I think it will continue a steady decline if he does not come back soon and/or gets off to a bad start when he returns

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1803331)
I think it’s gonna tank Peter. Remember what happened with the PSA 10 Griffey 89 Rookie.

good point, although the Update could simply bottom out around 400ish … same as the UD Griffey

packs 08-13-2018 12:01 PM

For some reason people still seem happy to spend $50 on Byron Buxton Chrome autos. I remember when they were at Kershaw prices.

Anyone who bought Gary Sanchez rookies after last season is probably pretty unhappy. Same goes for Schwarber folks.

Next great crash in my opinion is Tatis Jr. I just don't think he's as good as he appears, particularly with his ugly K to Walk rate in the low minors.

Also anyone buying Javy Baez right now is going to feel it soon. There's no way a guy is destined for greatness with a 307 lifetime on base.

packs 08-13-2018 12:01 PM

Accidental double post.

WillBBC 08-13-2018 02:09 PM

I'm rooting against this happening but I'd put money on Harper.

I really want to love the guy but he makes it difficult. That being said, the guy's Q Rating is higher than anybody else in baseball so who the heck knows?

Haha, I've talked myself out of this just by typing it. I feel like so many people are in at such amounts that demand will still be through the roof even he has another down year in 2019.

I really hope it doesn't happen and I hope he rebounds and has a monster four-five year stretch.

Rayfromphilly 08-13-2018 02:46 PM

I agree. I'm selling my psa 10 now. There's too many of them. And he gets hurt alot
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1803331)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Big67 08-13-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1803397)
Not sure about tanking, but I think it will continue a steady decline if he does not come back soon and/or gets off to a bad start when he returns

Not saying anything about the value of the card, but Trout is a 'generational talent,' not a one year wonder still needing to prove himself.

Neal 08-13-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big67 (Post 1803472)
Not saying anything about the value of the card, but Trout is a 'generational talent,' not a one year wonder still needing to prove himself.

Agreed - Top 4 player, imo, over the past 50 years. I love my Trout collection and am eagerly awaiting his return! Hoping he can get back on the MVP track as well. If not him, Mookie is fine by me. But I digress ….

The Update was hitting mid 600s in PSA 10s just a month ago. Once it appeared that the Mookie/Ramierez combo was pulling ahead, it started to slip into the high 500's, then with his "slump" and outta sight, outta mind for the past 2 weeks …. modern market.

Johnny630 08-13-2018 06:19 PM

If Trout would go to Philly or New York in 2020 his cards will skyrocket ! I love me some Mike Trout :-)

7nohitter 08-16-2018 08:21 PM

I'm going to say Aaron Judge.

KCRfan1 08-21-2018 02:58 PM

Surprised nobody mentioned Ohtani.....

Neal 08-21-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1804546)
I'm going to say Aaron Judge.

Interesting. And a very good bet.

I considered adding a Judge last year but never did. I like the guy (seems like a real solid person) but figured he is really just starting at age 25. I have no idea what his prices are now.

irv 08-21-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1806262)
Interesting. And a very good bet.

I considered adding a Judge last year but never did. I like the guy (seems like a real solid person) but figured he is really just starting at age 25. I have no idea what his prices are now.

There's this one.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2017-Topps-H...cAAOSwj99aBETI

This same seller has some other cheapies to sell as well. :rolleyes:

packs 08-22-2018 06:52 AM

What is it about Aaron Judge that tells you he's likely to bust? He's injured now, but assuming his injury isn't a threat to his career, what has he done this season that has you questioning if he's for real?

Peter_Spaeth 08-22-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1806406)
What is it about Aaron Judge that tells you he's likely to bust? He's injured now, but assuming his injury isn't a threat to his career, what has he done this season that has you questioning if he's for real?

For me, it's the very late start and the preposterous number of Ks (I know, not that unusual these days, but still).

rjackson44 09-05-2018 06:16 PM

Ohtani done tommy John surgery ,,oh well ..will people still buy ,,

packs 09-06-2018 01:54 PM

He's still got an OPS over 900 as a hitter.

Canofcorn 09-06-2018 02:28 PM

Everyone!
Harper
Bryant
Correa
Judge
Ohtani
Sanchez
Vlad Jr
Bellinger

Canofcorn 09-06-2018 02:28 PM

Everyone!
Harper
Bryant
Correa
Judge
Ohtani
Sanchez
Bellinger
Vlad Jr will be on this list soon enough

Basically, they all tank except Trout (and his drop is coming)

ls7plus 09-10-2018 09:34 PM

Trout, Judge and Harper all have their potential problems. Trout seems to be developing Mantle's propensity for injury about five years too early, and heaven help him if an electronic umpire comes in for balls and strikes. He hits .213 on balls in the upper third of the strike zone, and depends all too often on the umps calling them balls rather than the strikes they are--can you say .265 batting average, anyone?

Judge simply got started too late to put up great career totals, and before he was injured, they seemed to have him changing his style to hit those little chinese homers to the short porch in right in New York, rather than the 480 foot bombs to left center that thrilled the fans. An attempt to cut down on his K's perhaps.

Harper, just in case anyone here hasn't noticed (the NL pitchers surely have, which is why they consistently try to get him out by pitching him on the outer corner), simply begins his swing incorrectly by violently yanking his lead shoulder open. The proper sequence is that the hips cock, begin to uncock as the pitcher releases the pitch, and then the hands start down with the top hand palm up. The shoulders are in sinc with the hands and arms--THEY DO NOT LEAD THE WAY! Check out some vintage footage of Ted Williams, Mantle, or even Rhys Hopkins. Slo-mo them if your remote has the capacity. The way Harper does it, the bat can only lag behind through the zone if he is to make contact on a ball on the outer half at all, which is why he has so very little power to the opposite field. My bet is that we are not done seeing him hit .240-.250 or so, and that anyone who will pay him nine figures with free agency will inevitably regret it.

Just sayin,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth 09-11-2018 09:59 AM

Larry I could be wrong, but it had been my impression that during his great season a couple of years back, Harper had improved his swing mechanics and was staying back on the ball. Incidentally the swing you describe was so evident at the HR Derby -- great results of course when your Dad is serving up pitches with no movement in your wheelhouse, just a bit different when facing the real thing.

clydepepper 09-12-2018 04:21 AM

I already view modern pitchers' cards as bad investment ideas, so, technically...at least in my opinion, they all have already tanked.

I am growing vey weary of Harper's 4-strikeout games.

Though I'm not giving up yet, I have more Harper cards than anyone except Trout...so I'm concerned.

I also jumped on the Kris Bryant wagon - more concern.

Fun Fact: of all qualifying (per ESPN) outfielders, only one doesn't have a single assist this season...can you guess who...right...Bryce Harper.

Peter_Spaeth 09-12-2018 06:38 AM

Jose Ramirez has completely tanked the last month. Machado isn't exactly lighting it up in LA. Is anyone other than Mookie and J.D. really having a great year?

packs 09-12-2018 04:51 PM

Defense aside, I don't think Miguel Andujar should be ignored. 20 homers, nearly 80 rbis, and 40 doubles while hitting just under 300 as a rookie.

I also think Alex Bregman is a player who has flown way under the radar despite having a huge season for Houston.

Peter_Spaeth 09-12-2018 06:01 PM

Fangraphs has Bregman 4th in hitters behind Betts, Trout and Ramirez.

Johnny630 09-13-2018 05:29 AM

The only Modern Guy I'd hold would be Trout. The rest is all about early on hype pump and dump.

clydepepper 09-13-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1812452)
The only Modern Guy I'd hold would be Trout. The rest is all about early on hype pump and dump.

+1

anyone wants some Cory Seager cards?

Peter_Spaeth 09-13-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1812600)
+1

anyone wants some Cory Seager cards?

I'll trade you Carlos Correa.

ls7plus 09-13-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1812356)
Defense aside, I don't think Miguel Andujar should be ignored. 20 homers, nearly 80 rbis, and 40 doubles while hitting just under 300 as a rookie.

I also think Alex Bregman is a player who has flown way under the radar despite having a huge season for Houston.

Just love Bregman--average size guy who hits like a right-handed Mel Ott in his prime, but with more doubles. Plus this guy is driven to be the very best. If he stays healty, he's definitely one to watch!

May good luck also enhance your collecting,

Larry