Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Front page- 35 Threads, 10 about PreWWII (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244234)

FirstYearCards 08-28-2017 08:24 AM

Front page- 35 Threads, 10 about PreWWII

Just emphasizing that its getting a tad sloppy.

Leon 08-28-2017 08:39 AM

I just went up and down and up and down again, the front page threads. What I see is most are very relevant though that is open for interpretation. IF someone wants more pre-war threads they can always start them. But for the most part, the shows, introductions and other pre-war cards is what is mostly here. Promoting small shows helps the hobby overall. The introductions are self explanatory and the rest is mostly on topic, to me.

Exposing any type of fraud also seems to be a front page worthy topic, imo.

ullmandds 08-28-2017 08:58 AM

i try starting "Card sharing" threads but it seems most would rather bitch about grading and the morals of AH owners.

ALR-bishop 08-28-2017 09:08 AM

Bill-- we try not to get upset when some of the post war guys share our stuff over here, but please don't let anyone bring any of that pre was stuff over to post war :) It is very upsetting

ullmandds 08-28-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1695502)
Bill-- we try not to get upset when some of the post war guys share our stuff over here, but please don't let anyone bring any of that pre was stuff over to post war :) It is very upsetting

or basketball...or football...or pogs...

tiger8mush 08-28-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstYearCards (Post 1695489)
Just emphasizing that its getting a tad sloppy.

Is this thread considered "PreWWII"?

sycks22 08-28-2017 11:25 AM

I just want some information about PSA/SGC crossovers. I don't think we've ever touched on that.

Peter_Spaeth 08-28-2017 11:30 AM

Would a post on what's your favorite T206, or favorite color, or do you like the action poses or portraits better, help? :eek:

frankbmd 08-28-2017 11:36 AM

I tried to do my part with the Monster Number thread, more days on the front page of the main board than any other prewar thread in history. ;):eek::D

Fballguy 08-30-2017 12:02 PM

Just wondering...Is there a reason that the "home page" takes you directly into the pre-war forum? Wouldn't the forum page (the one that lists all forums on the site) make a better home page? I think it would lead to less confusion.

ValKehl 08-30-2017 01:15 PM

I would like to see the Home Page Forum divided into either two sub forums OR two separate forums, these being (1) General hobby discussion, and (2) Pre-War baseball card discussion.

Peter_Spaeth 08-30-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1695559)
I tried to do my part with the Monster Number thread, more days on the front page of the main board than any other prewar thread in history. ;):eek::D

Lots of scintillating posts there. Please bump me to 201, Frank. :D

Leon 08-30-2017 01:41 PM

From my vantage point there aren't enough pure card threads to sustain a front page. Maybe the front page could be the second page? BTW, I have never posted in the longest running thread on the board. :)

And to answer Rob, above, the home page is the pre-war page as this is foremost a pre-war forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1696200)
I would like to see the Home Page Forum divided into either two sub forums OR two separate forums, these being (1) General hobby discussion, and (2) Pre-War baseball card discussion.

Fballguy 08-30-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1696207)

And to answer Rob, above, the home page is the pre-war page as this is foremost a pre-war forum.

I get it...I still think it makes more sense from a user friendly standpoint, to link it to the page that houses all forums as many people post on other topics here as well. Right now, there seems to be a lot of:

a) People getting chastised for posting in the wrong place
b) Posts being moved for posting in the wrong place
c) People complaining about people posting in the wrong place
d) People beginning posts with "I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place"

Doesn't bother me at all...but it seems to bother some. Seems like it would be easy to solve for.

ValKehl 08-30-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

From my vantage point there aren't enough pure card threads to sustain a front page. Maybe the front page could be the second page? BTW, I have never posted in the longest running thread on the board. :)

Leon, this is why I feel the two-sub-forums approach for the Home Page is a viable solution. This would be in keeping with the other "main" forums, such as the B/S/T Section forum.

I assume that, like me, other veteran Net54ers are fully aware that the Home Page forum is foremost a pre-War card forum. But, back when I was a newbie, it took me a while to realize this (perhaps because my old-man's brain isn't as sharp as I think it once was), and it seems to me that it still takes many/most newbies a while to catch on to this.

bnorth 08-30-2017 02:53 PM

We should just all fallow the posting style of one member and put at least 75% of your posts in the wrong section. Also if you are selling a card be sure to put a link in every section to the one with the for sale listing. Also be sure to put that listing in the wrong section.;):D This would really help clear up any confusion or maybe I have been reading too many of Franks posts and want to add a little comedy to this otherwise fun hating forum.:confused:

ullmandds 08-30-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

thats not a bad idea...almost seems the OT/watercooler section should be the front page...maybe change the name to hobby goings on or something like that.

drcy 08-30-2017 03:06 PM

As far as i see it, most of the threads are about WWII. Even the general threads, such as the CNBC show, are in part about WWII cards.

Leon 08-30-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1696211)
I get it...I still think it makes more sense from a user friendly standpoint, to link it to the page that houses all forums as many people post on other topics here as well. Right now, there seems to be a lot of:

a) People getting chastised for posting in the wrong place
b) Posts being moved for posting in the wrong place
c) People complaining about people posting in the wrong place
d) People beginning posts with "I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place"

Doesn't bother me at all...but it seems to bother some. Seems like it would be easy to solve for.

Enforcement is the way to solve all of the "wrong forum" issues. But this is a hobby and as long as it's not too far off, then a lot is let go. Then again, sometimes threads are moved. My guess is that we will continue the way we have been. No matter what we/I do there will be a significant amount that don't like it. :) ..

frankbmd 08-30-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1696204)
Lots of scintillating posts there. Please bump me to 201, Frank. :D

Questionable authenticity. Scintillate elsewhere counselor.;)

Paul S 08-30-2017 06:28 PM

For those who used to complain about too many T206 threads on the main page - your wish came true:):(

drcy 08-31-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1696255)
Enforcement is the way to solve all of the "wrong forum" issues. But this is a hobby and as long as it's not too far off, then a lot is let go. Then again, sometimes threads are moved. My guess is that we will continue the way we have been. No matter what we/I do there will be a significant amount that don't like it. :) ..

Someone said to my pastor that there was too much music during the services. The pastor said "I understand what you are saying, but realize that someone just complained to me that there isn't enough."

JustinD 08-31-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1696369)
Someone said to my pastor that there was too much music during the services. The pastor said "I understand what you are saying, but realize that someone just complained to me that there isn't enough."

Excellent.

These threads always remind me of John Lydgate:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time".

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1696406)
Excellent.

These threads always remind me of John Lydgate:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time".

I thought that was Lincoln.

JustinD 08-31-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1696475)
I thought that was Lincoln.

It was cited by Lincoln about 350 years later.

ValKehl 08-31-2017 09:04 PM

Does anyone know who first substituted the word "fool" for the word "please"?