Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   A sweet forgery on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150795)

RichardSimon 05-05-2012 04:53 PM

A sweet forgery on ebay

Mantle,DiMaggio and Williams signed photo, MB $700 on the bay.

Here is the sellers description: (you got to love guys who know nothing about baseball selling bogus autographs, he calls Williams a Yankee):

You are currently bidding on one of the greatest autograph trios of all time. Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, & Ted Williams. Three of the greatest New York Yankees ever to wear the pinstripes in one fantastic picture with Certificate of Authenticity verifying all three signatures to be legitimate. Similar autographed picture recently sold for over $1000.00 . Dont miss this rare opportunity to own this rare piece of memorabelia.
--
A great autograph trio? Never heard players described that way.
Only problem is the COA is barred from ebay and the picture smells from sun, sand and orange juice.

Item number 261017444888

thetruthisoutthere 05-05-2012 05:03 PM

Ebay seller rastus8888 Mickey Mantle Forgery

3 Attachment(s)
Typical Mantle, Williams & DiMaggio set of forgeries with a COA from CSC Collectibles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Attachment 62773

Attachment 62774

Attachment 62775

Wymers Auction 05-05-2012 05:18 PM

It has been removed from Ebay. He probably bought this on an online auction and thought he would make a killing.

Wymers Auction 05-05-2012 05:20 PM

How rare are Mantle, WIlliams, and Dimaggio signed photos? I mostly see forgeries with this "Trio".

RichardSimon 05-05-2012 05:45 PM

There is something strange going on with ebay today.
If you use the URL to find an auction it is coming up as a removed auction.
If you use the item number it will come up.
This beauty has not been removed yet.
Its time will come.
Another stupid seller, 26 items for sale and only one is an autograph and it is bogus of course.
There are more forgeries for this trio picture than real ones.

earlywynnfan 05-05-2012 10:51 PM

I emailed the seller, and he thinks that one blogger on the internet isn't proof it's bad, he bought it from a very respectable auction house and they wouldn't lie, would they??

It's a little sad.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

RichardSimon 05-06-2012 06:20 AM

These things are infecting small auction houses everywhere.
They have those crap COA's, this one from CSC Collectibles, which are barred on ebay but the buyers don't know that.
He probably bought it dirt cheap and thought he got a good deal.
Why do idiots who know nothing about autographs think they can make money in this hobby?

RichardSimon 05-06-2012 07:00 AM

You have to love the wording on the CSC cert, they only recognize the opinion of forensics with a "Court Recognized Exemplar File"
WTF is a "court recognized exemplar file"?
Just part of the scam, just part of the scam.

thetruthisoutthere 05-06-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 990589)
You have to love the wording on the CSC cert, they only recognize the opinion of forensics with a "Court Recognized Exemplar File"
WTF is a "court recognized exemplar file"?
Just part of the scam, just part of the scam.

Exactly. What the heck is a Court Recognized Exemplar File? You will find that wording on COAs from CSC Collectibles and YMC Sports.

The majority of autographs sold on the website of CSC Collectibles has a COA from either CSC Collectibles, Stat Authentic, Nicholas Burczyk and GAI (the Mike Baker collection). All crap!!!

RichardSimon 05-06-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 990619)
Exactly. What the heck is a Court Recognized Exemplar File? You will find that wording on COAs from CSC Collectibles and YMC Sports.

The majority of autographs sold on the website of CSC Collectibles has a COA from either CSC Collectibles, Stat Authentic, Nicholas Burczyk and GAI (the Mike Baker collection). All crap!!!

They don't use a court qualified forensic themselves (unless you count the MIA Nicholas Burczyk, did he ever look at a baseball autograph item?) and yet they insist that the customer does if the customer wants a refund.
What a way to do business, do as I say, not as I do.
CSC how about telling the customer that you have been barred by ebay? Hmmmm,,, I don't think that is going to happen :D:D.

earlywynnfan 05-06-2012 01:03 PM

Does this link work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261017444888...84.m1423.l2649

Ken

Wymers Auction 05-06-2012 01:25 PM

He corrected the 3 Yankees comment and does reflect that Williams played for Boston. The sad part Richard I think most of these buyers that purchase these are passing them on to someone even more naive than themselves. I have a guy in town that sells these month after month and I think that he sells them to many of the same buyers. I know that you are aware of this, but just sharing my view of a very scary very open underground market.

travrosty 05-06-2012 01:54 PM

There is no such thing as a court qualified exemplar file, and also a court qualified autograph expert is whoever judge says it is, you dont need a forensics certificate or forensics/questioned document training to be court qualified, and you arent guaranteed to be court qualified if you do.

I always think that someday these type of signed photos will be outed and not be able to be sold anywhere, but operation bullpen autograph are still selling 13 years after the bust. as long as there are people willing to buy first and investigate second, there will always have a target market for them.

RichardSimon 05-06-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 990722)
There is no such thing as a court qualified exemplar file, and also a court qualified autograph expert is whoever judge says it is, you dont need a forensics certificate or forensics/questioned document training to be court qualified, and you arent guaranteed to be court qualified if you do.

That is absolutely correct.

RichardSimon 05-06-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 990714)
He corrected the 3 Yankees comment and does reflect that Williams played for Boston. The sad part Richard I think most of these buyers that purchase these are passing them on to someone even more naive than themselves. I have a guy in town that sells these month after month and I think that he sells them to many of the same buyers. I know that you are aware of this, but just sharing my view of a very scary very open underground market.

Another sad part is how illiterate this guy is.
His mangling of the English language should be enough of an indicator to avoid him. Just look at his spelling.

Wymers Auction 05-06-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 990755)
Another sad part is how illiterate this guy is.
His mangling of the English language should be enough of an indicator to avoid him. Just look at his spelling.

We should email him the correct spelling for "memorabelia". I also like how he added that it is a licensed auction house. As a former auction house owner if you are in a licensing state such as TN, all auction houses are licensed. You cannot operate without a license or you will go to jail. This licensing in no way makes them legitimate or honest, just legal. I know that last sentence is funny, but sadly very true. Does EBAY have a spell check?

GoldenAge50s 05-06-2012 08:25 PM

It's gone now!