Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   opinions on 48 Musial (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158211)

tonyo 10-27-2012 04:55 AM

opinions on 48 Musial

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Does this Musial look fishy to anyone?

Tony

stlcardsfan 10-27-2012 07:16 AM

Hard for me to tell. I bought a fake one at another website (www.sportscardforum.com). After much back and forth I finally my money back. This is definitely not that card. For what it's worth, your card looks more legit. But I am now leery of any raw 48 Leaf Musial.

Volod 10-27-2012 10:16 AM

No expert on the set, but wondering what specifically is raising your suspicions?

tonyo 10-27-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1047804)
No expert on the set, but wondering what specifically is raising your suspicions?

The stock feels "a little" more smooth to me than the other Leafs that I own.

I've compared it to other graded Musials I've seen on ebay and can't see any obvious differences, but that gnawing feeling keeps coming back. So I just thought I'd see if we have any experts on board who may know some specific things to look for on known reprints (if there are any).

Tony

HRBAKER 10-27-2012 10:37 AM

Does the seller deal primarily/exclusively in raw cards? If he is a graded card dealer and this is raw, I might be leery on two fronts; poss. authenticity and overgrading. FWIW, it appears real to me. The wears to the corners seems natural and not contrived.

Paul S 10-28-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1047813)
The stock feels "a little" more smooth to me than the other Leafs that I own.

I've compared it to other graded Musials I've seen on ebay and can't see any obvious differences, but that gnawing feeling keeps coming back. So I just thought I'd see if we have any experts on board who may know some specific things to look for on known reprints (if there are any).

Tony

Ted Z may be able to help you out with this one (He pulled his from packs as a kid).

CW 10-28-2012 10:19 AM

Just a suggestion, but you might be able to compare the thickness of the card stock by putting this Musial in a stack of raw Leafs and looking at the stack from the side. If this Musial card is thicker/thinner it should stick out as the oddball.

tonyo 05-17-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1048161)
Just a suggestion, but you might be able to compare the thickness of the card stock by putting this Musial in a stack of raw Leafs and looking at the stack from the side. If this Musial card is thicker/thinner it should stick out as the oddball.

Hard to believe it's been 7 years since I last asked this question.

I don't think I ever tried comparing it to a stack of 48/49s but I'll do that when I get home.

Want to run this by the board again, I'm thinking of adding it to Bobby's submission and it was suggested I ask the board's opinion on authenticity.

Also, if anyone thinks it's real, opinions on grade it may receive?

jchcollins 05-17-2019 07:31 AM

I just picked up the Williams from this set. It looks real to me...I was going to say if anything seemed off it was the color - but the color is all over the place on this set. Some are very dark, some are light. How badly creased is it? Just looking at the pic, I would say it could be a 3, but they might ding it lower based on whatever that stain is on the bottom. Hard to tell and especially with PSA anymore - it's not uncommon on this set to see 2's or 2.5's that present higher than 3's.

tonyo 08-10-2019 06:31 AM

In case anyone is interested, the subject card was part of Bobby's recent group submission and was deemed "N4 Questionable Authenticity" by PSA

live and learn (hopefully)