Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Congrats, Albert on 3,000 hits! Now, please retire. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254625)

the 'stache 05-05-2018 02:39 AM

Congrats, Albert on 3,000 hits! Now, please retire.

Albert Pujols recorded his 3,000th career hit last night, becoming only the fourth player in Major League history to achieve 3,000 hits and 600 home runs (Aaron, Mays, and Alex Rodriguez are the others). He's been a tremendous player, and I have nothing but respect for how he's carried himself, both on and off the field. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt.

But, it's time for him to retire. And, the Angels need to make a tough decision here. Ownership needs to pull him aside, with the respect he is due, and tell him it's time to hang it up. Or, they need to release him.

The last two years, Pujols has been below league average as a hitter. OPS + sets league average at 100. In 2017, Albert Pujols was 20% below American League average with an 80 OPS +. This year, he's a little better at 95. But when you look at his contribution, it doesn't make sense to keep playing him.

Since the start of the 2015 season (487 games), Albert Pujols has been worth 2.6 WAR (BBR), or 0.4 WAR (Fangraphs). And he's been paid $102 million. The Angels have the best player in Baseball in Mike Trout. The $27 million the Angels are paying Albert Pujols this season could have been put to much better use. Unfortunately, with guaranteed contracts, there's not much they can do about what he's being paid. But they could have another player at his position that would help the team become better. The Angels are in first place, but it's a long season.

We hate seeing our stars at the very end of their careers. Willie Mays as a Met. Mickey Mantle barely able to walk after countless injuries. Albert needs to exit graciously, and start the timer for his induction into Cooperstown. He will then be recognized as the all-time great he is. Right now, however, all he's doing is hurting his team.

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2018 08:40 AM

I know his sabremetrics are mediocre, probably in part because he doesn't walk, but he projects so far to 30 HR 96 RBI and .256. Most people would think that doesn't exactly sound like someone who needs to retire.

Tennis13 05-05-2018 10:04 AM

Great article I saw that uses his personal anecdote facing Octavio Dotel in juniors that would substantiate the rumor that he is 3 to 4 years older than he claims to be, hence his precipitous dropoff.

packs 05-05-2018 10:57 AM

I don't actually think he's hurting the team at all. They owe Albert the money either way, so if they cut him there's a zero sum gain in that they don't have anyone to play in his place. It's not like Albert is blocking a prospect in the minors. I highly doubt he'd retire and leave that money on the table so if you cut him you're going to pay him anyway without a better option on your team. You may as well play him as long as he's driving in runs.

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1773491)
Great article I saw that uses his personal anecdote facing Octavio Dotel in juniors that would substantiate the rumor that he is 3 to 4 years older than he claims to be, hence his precipitous dropoff.

It would also explain why the Cardinals were ready to part ways with him after an unworldly decade.

pokerplyr80 05-05-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1773503)
I don't actually think he's hurting the team at all. They owe Albert the money either way, so if they cut him there's a zero sum gain in that they don't have anyone to play in his place. It's not like Albert is blocking a prospect in the minors. I highly doubt he'd retire and leave that money on the table so if you cut him you're going to pay him anyway without a better option on your team. You may as well play him as long as he's driving in runs.

I agree. Might as well get something for the money they're on the hook for.