Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hunt Auctions - August 2011 Internet/Phone Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140654)

Scott Garner 08-18-2011 11:09 AM

Hunt Auctions - August 2011 Internet/Phone Auction

1 Attachment(s)
Wow!! For those that didn't see some of the realized prices in the Hunt Auctions August 2011 Internet/Phone Auction, I was wondering if anyone was as shocked as I was.

Lot # 6 was especially interesting to me because it featured a ticket stub and scored program to Sandy Koufax's perfect game on September 9, 1965.
To be fair, the scorebook was also signed by Koufax (within the last decade or so).

The final bid was an eyepopping $6,905! :eek:
Yowzer, that's alot of bread!!

Does this make this the most valuable baseball ticket?

FYI, there were over 29,000 fans in attendance, so there are definately a fair number of these ticket stubs still around. Koufax's continuing popularity is undoubtedly a huge contributing factor, but hey now....

The stub itself had two hole punch marks indicating that it was a complimentary ticket, as well as 3 sets of 2 ea staple holes....

Here are photos of both items in the lot:

Drift 08-09-2014 02:34 PM

Greatest game ever pitched

This entire game was decided on one single hit. The pitchers dominated. Although I wasn't fortunate enough to see the game it is an impressive scoresheet.

I believe this has to be one of the most expensive ticket stubs realized for a non. Auto'd stub.

Glad I own one :D

perezfan 08-09-2014 05:10 PM

Amazing price realized... and with very little glitter/promotion by Hunts. You really have to search hard for some of this stuff. The Catalog pictures are small and the website is dreadful...

As is always the case with auctions, though.... it only takes two people who really want it, to drive up the price. :eek:

ooo-ribay 08-10-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1308155)

As is always the case with auctions, though.... it only takes two people who really want it, to drive up the price. :eek:

Word :cool:

When I buy, there's always another guy. When I sell, I never get the second guy. :rolleyes:

almostdone 08-11-2014 07:15 PM

Just as some interesting notes about Koufax's perfect game. It was found to be the only true one hitter in baseball history. It was also the only game with only one runner left on base. The runner, Lou Johnson, was stranded after he got the only hit of the game.
The only run that scored was also by Johnson who reached on a walk and ended up scoring on a bad throw by the catcher trying to catch him stealing third.
It was also said the Koufax's arm was hurting so bad that he couldn't throw his curve in the game so all he threw was fastballs. Imagine throwing a perfect game with one pitch. One of the greatest performances ever IMO
Drew

Scott Garner 08-11-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostdone (Post 1309052)
Just as some interesting notes about Koufax's perfect game. It was found to be the only true one hitter in baseball history. It was also the only game with only one runner left on base. The runner, Lou Johnson, was stranded after he got the only hit of the game.
The only run that scored was also by Johnson who reached on a walk and ended up scoring on a bad throw by the catcher trying to catch him stealing third.
It was also said the Koufax's arm was hurting so bad that he couldn't throw his curve in the game so all he threw was fastballs. Imagine throwing a perfect game with one pitch. One of the greatest performances ever IMO
Drew

I believe that Koufax noted that his fastball was not particularly exceptional until several innings into the game, FWIW...