Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   On the easel... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117391)

GoCubsGo32 05-07-2015 10:23 PM

I totally thought that was a reference photo of what you were painting next....

I had to look at it for a few min to realize that was the painting!:eek::eek::eek:

Whoa!

MIND-BLOWN.

GKreindler 05-08-2015 12:51 PM

Wow, thanks so much for such kind words, everybody.

I think the painting appears pretty photographic as a result if the scoreboard, which I think shows evidence of the camera through that bright light. Granted, I would have probably painted it that way anyways, since it creates such a nice luminous effect. Personally, I think I was just super happy to be able to paint something that was so modern, as I feel like I'm lacking it in the portfolio (for the most part). If I can paint more fellas from the last 30 years, I think I'd be pretty rounded in that sense. The portfolio, not me. I'm already rounded.

Either way, I'll be delivering Nolan to the client personally on Wednesday, and hopefully she'll love it once it's in hand.

Graig

Scott Garner 05-08-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1409247)
Wow, thanks so much for such kind words, everybody.

I think the painting appears pretty photographic as a result if the scoreboard, which I think shows evidence of the camera through that bright light. Granted, I would have probably painted it that way anyways, since it creates such a nice luminous effect. Personally, I think I was just super happy to be able to paint something that was so modern, as I feel like I'm lacking it in the portfolio (for the most part). If I can paint more fellas from the last 30 years, I think I'd be pretty rounded in that sense. The portfolio, not me. I'm already rounded.

Either way, I'll be delivering Nolan to the client personally on Wednesday, and hopefully she'll love it once it's in hand.

Graig

Hi Graig,
What are the dimensions of this painting, please?

GKreindler 05-08-2015 01:44 PM

No, Scott!! :mad::mad::mad:

I mean, it's 40" x 32". Not a bad size indeed, though definitely a pain in the @$$ to carry on the subway!

Graig

Scott Garner 05-08-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1409270)
No, Scott!! :mad::mad::mad:

I mean, it's 40" x 32". Not a bad size indeed, though definitely a pain in the @$$ to carry on the subway!

Graig

Awesome!

aquarius31 05-09-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1408948)
That's a painting????...holy crap I thought it was the original photograph!! Amazing!!!

+1 Amazing Graig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKreindler 05-13-2015 03:24 PM

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone.

Here's another scan I got back from the photographers:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...pswzhyeu4m.jpg
Babe Ruth, October 6, 1915, 40" x 32"

It's one of the few commissions I've had from the board that I've been a bit lax on, so I'm trying to finish those up over the next few months, especially since some of you have been waiting rather long and patiently.

Anywho, the painting was a lot of fun, though also a big challenge. The photo it was created from has some really interesting features in it, many of which were actually physical defects in the negative (chemical stains, for the most part). Combine those with the areas that are pretty soft and out of focus anyways, and you have a recipe for some laaaattee nights. But in the end, I think that I was able to pull it off and make a nice painting. Ruth just REALLY pops from the background of the Polo Grounds, which was my main overall concern from the get-go. Well, that and a likeness, of course. And what also makes me happy is that the thing feels like a cold October afternoon. All of these things had much to do with a melange of grays that are in the image, be they from the facade of old ballpark, Babe's uniform, or even the sky - all of them had to be distinctly different and interesting.

It's an interesting thing to think about now, what-with the Sox being in town to play the rival Yankees on the last day of the season, and having the place so empty. In fact, only 774 people were at the Polo Grounds to see that doubleheader, one that was more of a World Series rehearsal than anything (Carrigan gave all of his big starters work in those two games). As a matter of fact, a LOT of the better-known images of Ruth from 1915 are from this actual game, whether they're of him warming up, standing with the other pitchers and posing for photographers (including Bain), or even standing in line with the entire team for a large panoramic photograph. Could you imagine seeing a sight like that now? I mean, Babe Ruth wasn't really Babe Ruth yet, but having Boston come to New York when they were scheduled to start the World Series less than 48 hours later and have less than a thousand people on hand? Obviously, that sort of thing was somewhat common in the game in those days, but man, it certainly has changed a LOT since then.

The painting's not completely color-corrected yet, but it's just about there. Hopefully y'all really dig, and hopefully my client feels the same way.

If you have any comments, critiques, or questions, I'd love to hear from ya!

As always, thanks for looking,

Graig

Kawika 05-13-2015 06:56 PM

You keep outdoing yourself, kemosabe. Great image, gorgeous painting.

GKreindler 05-13-2015 07:38 PM

Thank you so much, Kawika!!

Aloha nui loa.

Forever Young 05-13-2015 07:52 PM

:)

Nice work half pint. Nice work.
I hope it fits over my fireplace