Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What is your buying preference? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245116)

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-19-2017 06:02 PM

What is your buying preference?

I admit this thread is partially self-serving because I am attempting to prioritize some things, but I am also interested in what drives the collecting of this forum's members. If you have money to spend (whatever amount), would you prefer to spend it on cards (prewar or postwar)you like or memorabilia (balls, programs, photos, etc.)?

I have seen some pretty cool AFL and older football memorabilia pieces I like lately, but most of what I have collected in football and baseball falls in the cards category. Just thinkin'....

What about you guys??

DBesse27 09-19-2017 07:53 PM

I'm all about cards.

bnorth 09-19-2017 08:17 PM

I am all about the cards usually. I had some extra cash recently and spent it on autographs and I rarely buy them. Not sure if I will like them long term, I already wish I wouldn't have bought one lot of them.

sockwell123 09-19-2017 08:51 PM

Cards. But I do like auto's from favorite players..on card or photo... I did start collecting football games on video but have been distracted with set building lately.

jefferyepayne 09-20-2017 04:56 AM

I started out with cards but it is a slippery slope into memorabilia once you get fully engaged. It's easy to start pickup up 'companion pieces' to cards such as: original artwork for the card, original photos used for the card, wrappers for card sets, inserts used in packs, card boxes, mail-ins, etc.

Once you start doing that and get attached to particular sets, eras, players, leagues, or teams. its easy to start wanting other items associated with them: programs, ticket stubs, autographs, team photos, etc, etc, etc!

And if you bite the bullet and get a display case or two, you're gonna want enough items around a theme to fill your case with interesting stuff so will broaden your collecting to fulfill this wish.

Be careful card collectors! Again, a slippery slope into memorabilia.

jeff

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-20-2017 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1702698)
I started out with cards but it is a slippery slope into memorabilia once you get fully engaged. It's easy to start pickup up 'companion pieces' to cards such as: original artwork for the card, original photos used for the card, wrappers for card sets, inserts used in packs, card boxes, mail-ins, etc.

Once you start doing that and get attached to particular sets, eras, players, leagues, or teams. its easy to start wanting other items associated with them: programs, ticket stubs, autographs, team photos, etc, etc, etc!

And if you bite the bullet and get a display case or two, you're gonna want enough items around a theme to fill your case with interesting stuff so will broaden your collecting to fulfill this wish.

Be careful card collectors! Again, a slippery slope into memorabilia.

jeff

Amen to that, Jeff! I am experiencing this right now. I am considering some purchases which are outside the box for me. That slippery slope could lead to a football which could lead to programs which could lead to ticket stubs and bobble heads!!! Where does it end?! I have just been a card collector primarily. ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jefferyepayne 09-21-2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1702700)
Amen to that, Jeff! I am experiencing this right now. I am considering some purchases which are outside the box for me. That slippery slope could lead to a football which could lead to programs which could lead to ticket stubs and bobble heads!!! Where does it end?! I have just been a card collector primarily. ..

All I can say is 'enjoy the ride', Robert! I get as much, if not more, satisfaction looking at my memorabilia pieces as I do my cards.

jeff

revmoran 09-21-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1702700)

I would never cross the line into bobble heads - now a Matryoshka doll of Rockne and the Four Horsemen is another matter!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4360/...4c920ba8_o.jpg

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-21-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revmoran (Post 1703212)
I would never cross the line into bobble heads - now a Matryoshka doll of Rockne and the Four Horsemen is another matter!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4360/...4c920ba8_o.jpg

Point taken!! ;) Those are awesome! Where did you come across those?

revmoran 09-21-2017 05:29 PM

I honestly don't remember, but I don't think it was eBay.

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-24-2017 10:24 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I really enjoy this football forum. You guys have given me a lot to consider. In the meantime, there are always cards and sets to occupy me while I think it over.