Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Billiards Fans? Old Spalding Pool Cue Rack...WELL on 2nd Thought maybe FISHING FANS? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165290)

bwild22 03-13-2013 08:01 PM

Billiards Fans? Old Spalding Pool Cue Rack...WELL on 2nd Thought maybe FISHING FANS?

2 Attachment(s)
I got this pool cue rack at a recent local auction - i have never seen another early spalding one - the spalding markings look great - i have not even attempted to clean it up .....i know what the baseball back racks bring, but have never been able to locate another pool stick holder ----- i have no idea on value or other info on this bad boy - anyone seen any of these?

Runscott 03-13-2013 11:28 PM

A similar design by Brunswick Balke-Collender would be $300-400. I have never seen a Spalding one, but billiard antique collectors are generally more practical than we are, so it wouldn't be much more if any.

coco 03-17-2013 08:54 PM

spalding billiard rack

Hi Run Scott, this could be a billiard rack, but more likely a fishing rod rack. Spalding got back in the fishing tackle business from 1928 - 1932. Are you interested in selling it? I know its been a while since you posted this, thanks

CarltonHendricks 03-18-2013 12:16 AM

Fishing ya say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco (Post 1104588)
Hi Run Scott, this could be a billiard rack, but more likely a fishing rod rack. Spalding got back in the fishing tackle business from 1928 - 1932. Are you interested in selling it? I know its been a while since you posted this, thanks

Well that changes the equation!!...Somehow I like it better as a Fishing pole holder/point of purchase display...I must say it's hard to grasp from the photos but interesting. By the way I believe bwild22 would be the owner....Cool piece

Runscott 03-18-2013 12:06 PM

Fishing POS display makes more sense to me as well.

bwild22 03-18-2013 01:40 PM

carlton - you are correct...i am the owner... i bought it at a local auction here last summer ....it comes apart into many pieces as well.... it was in a long narrow box at the sale, nobody knew what it was.... i happened to stick my head in the box before it sold and i saw the spalding emblem...and right away i went crazy thinking it might be one of the old baseball bat displays...but quickly realized it wasnt but was still thrilled to get it home and see what i had and this is how it pieced together... the fishing rod idea might very well be correct - no idea why i assumed it must be for pool...

emblems and markings are great - dust and dirt came with it - i should get around to getting different pictures of it sometime haha

herkyhawkeye 03-19-2013 03:49 AM

Could it possibly be a golf club rack? What is the height on the display?

Spalding made millions of wood shaft golf clubs. The notches at the top appear to be suitable for a golf shaft. The bottom having the piece of wood on the bottom looks like just the right size for the length of an iron blade or mid 1910-1920 wood head. The angle of the display also fits perfectly for the display of an iron/putter.

Cool Piece coming from a Golf collector.

bwild22 03-19-2013 08:56 AM

hey man - guessing you are from iowa too with a herkyhawkeye user id....

i never even considered golf.... i might take out an old wooden club, a fishing rod and a pool stick tonight and put them all in there and try to see what works best

this is really a mystery to me

still head scratching, as i have never found another one from spalding like this one at all personally and have searched for some time