Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is SGC the preferred Grader for vintage? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337053)

homerunhitter 06-25-2023 01:23 PM

Is SGC the preferred Grader for vintage?

Just wanted to see what the vintage experts here think as you guys will give a true and honest answer.

Is SGC the preferred Grader for vintage? or is PSA still the preferred grader for vintage?

vthobby 06-25-2023 02:40 PM

SGC is.......

KING.

In my humble opinion. Yes.

SGC all the way!

:)

rand1com 06-25-2023 03:58 PM

If value is important, PSA is the choice. If turn around time is important, then SGC is the choice.

gonefishin 06-25-2023 04:16 PM

I use both and actually think SGC is a little tougher on pre 1979 cards than PSA.

SGC for price and turn time for sure. PSA for maximum the return.

Peter_Spaeth 06-25-2023 04:48 PM

I recently submitted 35 cards to SGC. Mostly inexpensive stuff. Perhaps 5 at most were graded right, most were off by 2 grades. Not one card higher than a 6, and a number of these were close to pristine.

homerunhitter 06-25-2023 04:53 PM

The things I like about SGC are:

-The black tuxedo cases are amazingly beautiful and the cards pop on them perfectly.

-The turnaround time on them cant be beat.

The things I like about PSC are:

-The final sales prices on EBAY.

Casey2296 06-25-2023 05:02 PM

SGC can't get out of their own way when it comes to business but pre-war presents way better with a black apron. I'm incredulous that the only flip that presents the best is lost on other grading companies, every AH knows this and scans with a black background to maximize appeal. How hard would it really be for the other TPG's to offer a black apron...

deweyinthehall 06-25-2023 05:47 PM

Speaking solely as a collector/buyer - for the best bargains and conditions which appear better than the grade would suggest it is SGC for me.

When i need a vintage card the first search i put into the eBay machine is "1966 Topps Jim Palmer SGC"

vthobby 06-25-2023 05:58 PM

Sgc

SGC grades cards consistent and very strict.

They make other companies cards at the same grades look foolish most of the time.

I have done quite well buying SGC cards over the past 20 years.

The tide has turned but alot of folks have not quite figured it out still.

SGC all the way every day.

:)

PS Yes, I own PSA cards because certain cards can only be slabbed by PSA like Vintage autograph cards. I wish SGC would go back to authenticating signatures but oh well! If you are confident and
know what you are doing, you can do quite well buying any slabs that are graded properly but SGC is usually the company that does this. :)

homerunhitter 06-25-2023 06:24 PM

The tide has turned but alot of folks have not quite figured it out still.

EXACTLY! Thats why I feel now is the perfect time to be buying/grading with SGC for those that wish too.

SGC is the new PSA!

For those on facebook, "Boca Raton SGC Card Grading Submissions" is an amazing group to learn more about SGC grading/collecting.

GasHouseGang 06-25-2023 07:22 PM

I keep reading that both PSA and SGC have become much stricter in their grading standards. Many submitters are not happy.

bnorth 06-25-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2350754)
I keep reading that both PSA and SGC have become much stricter in their grading standards. Many submitters are not happy.

I haven't sent anything to SGC in a few years. I am way more than happy with my last 3 PSA submissions.

hcv123 06-25-2023 09:28 PM

It depends.....

The market and prices for SGC cards is growing in general. There used to be more significant price disparity than I am seeing in most cases recently.

The only thing(s) I would send to PSA at this point is vintage cards that have a legit shot at an 8 or higher grade where there is still a pretty large price disparity between PSA and SGC. I would also recommend taking a look on a case by case basis about any sport other than baseball as PSA still "owns" the market with a number of sportscard sets other than baseball.

babraham 06-25-2023 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 2350724)
When i need a vintage card the first search i put into the eBay machine is "1966 Topps Jim Palmer SGC"

I'm the same with PSA. ;):)

When I search for a card I want on eBay, it's always with PSA in the title.

raulus 06-25-2023 09:53 PM

How have we gone this long without anyone mentioning the set registry? 14 posts and not even a backhanded sarcastic reference??! What is this place coming to?!

Set registry!!!

There.

It’s a PSA thing, and most people seem to ascribe the price difference to this phenomenon, particularly in the higher grades. Although the rumor is that SGC kinda used to have one, and might someday have one again.

3-2-count 06-25-2023 09:55 PM

It’s a toss up for me. I’m happy with both Psa and Sgc when it comes to vintage, but as Howard states examples in higher grade (7 or higher) Psa usually still trumps.

In the end, buy the card not the slab. More and more seem to be doing just that and I think its about time.

Kutcher55 06-26-2023 11:14 AM

I recently graded 10 cards with SGC. 6 of the cards were at least a grade higher than I expected, with 2 of them +1.5 and +2.

3 of the cards were = to the grade I expected.

1 was below the grade I expected, by 1.5.

Overall I felt pretty good about results compared to expectations.

Exhibitman 06-26-2023 12:39 PM

Doesn't seem to make much difference with prewar cards. The demand is so strong that they both sell well. Postwar, PSA has the financial edge if you are selling razor-sharp [heh] 8-9-10 cards, but otherwise, the still-too-long turn times at PSA are driving more stuff to SGC than ever before, esp. auction house submissions. I consigned a rare pre-war card for auction and the AH wanted it slabbed, so they went with SGC to get the card up and sold in line with our agreed timetable.

And don't look now, but CSG/CGC is coming on. There was a lot of resistance to the company but it has worn down to the point where AHs are starting to accept CSG (soon CGC) cards.

homerunhitter 06-26-2023 08:19 PM

is there anything more beautiful than a SGC Tuxedo? surely, not the cheap PSA slabs!

Casey2296 06-26-2023 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunhitter (Post 2351071)
is there anything more beautiful than a SGC Tuxedo? surely, not the cheap PSA slabs!

If PSA wanted to put SGC out of business all they would have to do is offer a black apron, CSG missed the boat too.

Peter_Spaeth 06-26-2023 09:53 PM

If there's a choice, I'll take PSA every time. If a vintage card I want can only be found in SGC, I'd likely buy the SGC rather than wait for a PSA. Modern, I will only rarely buy SGC.

MikeGarcia 06-27-2023 10:50 AM

Best Of The Old School Flips :

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunhitter (Post 2351071)

..http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...IFECTA_NEW.JPG

.. I've tried them all , lo , over these many years , and much prefer the ancient classic look ; they haven't done this label though , since Hector was a pup. Maybe some rogue in China ( or that mysterious counterfeiter down in Mexico ) could do requests.? It's okay , a lot of in here have married money.

bnorth 06-27-2023 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2351201)
..http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...IFECTA_NEW.JPG

.. I've tried them all , lo , over these many years , and much prefer the ancient classic look ; they haven't done this label though , since Hector was a pup. Maybe some rogue in China ( or that mysterious counterfeiter down in Mexico ) could do requests.? It's okay , a lot of in here have married money.

My favorite slab is the GAI slabs. They have a very similar design to the latest PSA slabs. They also have the black frame around the card that makes them look so much nicer.