Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   HR Derby Review: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271055)

clydepepper 07-08-2019 08:47 PM

HR Derby Review:

While I'm writing this as Pete Alonzo is trying to catch Jr. Vlad - so it technically isn't over...I was wondering:

How much of this is still the Babe's fault?

Personally, I've enjoyed it, but it's not the game I grew up so attached to.

Interestingly, a Platinum Glove winner became installed as the #1 seed.

That fact by itself, makes it a semi-croc IMO.

Peter_Spaeth 07-08-2019 09:00 PM

I think it's stupid, personally. Trout does well not to participate, he knows.

Yastrzemski Sports 07-08-2019 09:30 PM

I think the hr derby does a lot more harm than good. Every year, We see the contestants need time to get their swing back. I remember Aaron Judge’s rookie year. He could have had a run at 60 if it wasn’t for the horrible July and August 2017. By September he managed to find his swing again.

Personally, I would get rid of the AS game, end the season a week early and maybe wrap up the ws before Halloween. The season is too long already and weather becomes a factor when it goes on too long.

frankbmd 07-09-2019 10:47 AM

The Real Question

Now with 99 home runs in his rookie season, does Vlad Jr. merit consideration for early induction to the Hall of Fame, or does the fact that he didn't win with 91 last night detract from his credentials?

packs 07-09-2019 12:22 PM

If I were the Blue Jays front office I would have been cringing through the whole thing. Vlad must be exhausted today and who knows what that kind of strain might have done to him. I can absolutely see why Judge sits it out.

chaddurbin 07-09-2019 12:53 PM

i think it's great for the fans, seems to be the only thing that makes baseball "pop" anymore in the main culture.

guys swing for the fences nowadays, the good front offices are preaching launch angles from the low minors as an organizational approach. it's a myth the big hacks mess with their regular season swings.

packs 07-09-2019 01:06 PM

I mean the exhaustion and stress put on the body for no real reason at all. Can Vlad even lift his arms today? Trying to compensate for discomfort can lead to significant injury.

Snapolit1 07-09-2019 03:00 PM

I am not a fan of it, but I haven't seen my 21 and 18 year old sons as excited about baseball in years as they were last night. They were literally screaming.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1897244)
i think it's great for the fans, seems to be the only thing that makes baseball "pop" anymore in the main culture.

guys swing for the fences nowadays, the good front offices are preaching launch angles from the low minors as an organizational approach. it's a myth the big hacks mess with their regular season swings.

More fans should attend batting practice then. Why don't they? I can't imagine anything more boring than someone mindlessly knocking a non-pitch over the fence.

packs 07-09-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1897292)
More fans should attend batting practice then. Why don't they? I can't imagine anything more boring than someone mindlessly knocking a non-pitch over the fence.

Not sure if you've been to a game lately, but the Yankees don't even let you in to watch batting practice anymore. It always makes me wonder what happens to the balls hit into the stands. Does some usher go around picking them up before the gates open up? I've never gotten to my seat and found one. Where do they go?

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1897299)
Not sure if you've been to a game lately, but the Yankees don't even let you in to watch batting practice anymore. It always makes me wonder what happens to the balls hit into the stands. Does some usher go around picking them up before the gates open up? I've never gotten to my seat and found one. Where do they go?

They probably have a deal with some memorabilia dealer who then sells them as game used.

bnorth 07-09-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1897292)

When I used to go to games all the time. I always made sure I got there early so I could watch batting practice.

I also still like to watch the old Home Run Derby TV Show.:D

commishbob 07-09-2019 05:37 PM

The one time I tuned into that I heard Chris Berman and fled quickly. He's retired now I think?

bnorth 07-09-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1897336)
The one time I tuned into that I heard Chris Berman and fled quickly. He's retired now I think?

Are you referring to Home Run Derby the old TV Show? Berman would have been 5 when that show was on.

commishbob 07-09-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1897343)
Are you referring to Home Run Derby the old TV Show? Berman would have been 5 when that show was on.

No the current thing. But I am old enough to have watched the original

Jim65 07-10-2019 05:50 AM

I feel about HR Derby the same way I feel about the AS game, its a stupid exhibition but if some fans watch it, then more power to 'em. Don't like it? Change the channel.