Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Toughest Topps Sets from the 80s to Complete (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249188)

ALR-bishop 02-18-2018 12:36 PM

Agree with Dave that most of the sets I listed were not issued at retail. And agree that the 82 Blackless are variations. Would not view the 84 Encased as variations, but rather as blank back design proof cards.

What they all have in common is they are listed in the SCD Standard Catalog as Topps sets, and that was my collecting parameter for the 80s

If list was limited to sets issued at retail only 7, 8 and 2 would be on it, and maybe 6 in part.

Jim65 02-18-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1749108)
While I have essentially cut off my collecting of Topps type cards at 1980, I have saved examples of their baseball issues from 1981 through the early 90's and also have bought the occasional test issue type after that, although I don't even have a list together of what I have. I admit I can get glazed and confused when all the post 1994 issues get discussed due to chase cards, Stadium Club, refractors and parallels and the like but I do try to follow anything that is considered a true test issue from Topps up until the sale to Eisner & Co. I'm more and more of the opinion that these listings should be divided between issued and unissued when having these discussions, realizing it's not always possible to tell! 1982 blackless and 1984 encased would be variations in a set to my mind, not stnadalones. Not nit-picking here (and Al knows I love him!) just trying to get some information I may use someday.

So what's a top ten list of issued sets through 2007 in terms of difficulty? Or even issued and unissued as separate entities?

I know what some of the rare sets are but don't really have a way to compare them as I don't track them carefully. Eisner's company bought Topps in March 2007 and turned it into a totally different company IMO --not necessarily a bad thing given their success--so probably didn't really influence things until 2008 releases. Curious what your different takes are on this subject.

The 1982 Blackless are true variations, 1984 Encased were never released, correct?

toppcat 02-18-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1749148)
The 1982 Blackless are true variations, 1984 Encased were never released, correct?

Yes, sorry-brain cramped on the 84's so that would make them unreleased proofs.

ALR-bishop 02-18-2018 01:28 PM

Rather than true variations I would say the 82 Blackess are unintended recurring print defects. The 84 Encased are blank back proofs, but not proofs of the issued set. Rather proofs of an alternative design

The Blackless cards were issued in packs but you can also build the “set” in transition.. gray versus Blackless or normal

vintagebaseballcardguy 02-18-2018 04:15 PM

Question on the '82 Topps Blackless cards: what distinguishes the In Action blackless cards? Is it simply the pastel-like color? If so, are they hard to distinguish from cards that simply are faded? I can see the differences in the regular issue player cards and all-star cards, just not the IAs. Thanks.

steve B 02-18-2018 05:25 PM

Probably none of it would make the rarest list, but some of the HSN exclusive stuff is probably pretty hard to find. I never paid much attention when I watched, which was hardly ever, and I don't think anyone kept track of what was out there. I have a couple things from another company that were probably HSN things, and I've never seen a second example.

ls7plus 02-27-2018 07:20 PM

I concur completely re the '85 Topps minis. I only have the Eddie Murray and the Jim Rice. Very tough set to pursue these days, when they are not often the focus of demand IMHO.

Hope your collecting is delightful,

Larry

Cliff Bowman 02-28-2018 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1749209)
Question on the '82 Topps Blackless cards: what distinguishes the In Action blackless cards? Is it simply the pastel-like color? If so, are they hard to distinguish from cards that simply are faded? I can see the differences in the regular issue player cards and all-star cards, just not the IAs. Thanks.

It would be missing the thin black border line around the photo.

vintagebaseballcardguy 02-28-2018 07:41 PM

Thank you. Now I understand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

frankhardy 03-01-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1749108)

So what's a top ten list of issued sets through 2007 in terms of difficulty? Or even issued and unissued as separate entities?

I will chime in with one. Where do you guys place the 1998 Topps Sportzcubz?

Back in 2016, I sort of cornered the market on these. I purchase 2 complete sets and 2 partial sets from the son of a Topps employee (Ric Mahig). He was an employee of over 30 years, I believe. Anyway, Mr Mahig told his son that he would be shocked if there were more than 5 of any card? If that is true, then I have had my hands on 4 them.

I currently have a complete BGS graded set with everything being a population 1, except Jeter which is a pop 2. PSA doesn't grade them. I also still have a handful of duplicates.

My point is that these are extremely difficult to find.

Where do you guys place these on the rare list up to 2007?